New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye Challenge on the Great Sacandaga  (Read 11105 times)

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
Re: Walleye Challenge on the Great Sacandaga
« Reply #60 on: Nov 19, 2013, 06:16 AM »
I might be game if it doesn't interfere with the IPA Series. When in March is it?

Same boat  :afro:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Nov 19, 2013, 06:24 AM »
Do any of you guys fish Lou's 3 day contest in march? In my opinion it is an even better contest,because it is 3 days,the weigh in is awesome,there's the free pig roast for the participants too.

Have not been yet, sounds great.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 19, 2013, 06:36 AM »
I love that contest due to the fact that you can fish all weekend.last year the Ross's bait shop contest was held as a 2 day contest on Friday and Saturday on the same weekend,I hope they do it that way again this year

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #63 on: Nov 19, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Goose... Do they post these tourneys?

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 20, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I don't think they post them on here.i know all the local bait shops have entry forms when the time comes,they don't really advertise the m too much.i can tell you guys the dates when I find them out if you want

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Nov 20, 2013, 07:59 AM »
The FuelnFood weekend long contest flyer is posted on their website.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Ok what is the date of it?

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Just looked at the fuel n food website,for some reason they have the dates for this years walleye challenge and 3 day contest as 2013 instead of 2014

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #68 on: Nov 20, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Just looked at the flyer it says 2014.....Feb 28th- March 2nd

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 20, 2013, 05:08 PM »
weekend long tourney is always the first weekend in March

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #70 on: Nov 20, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Nice! That is the weekend before the postponement date for the IPA Chautauqua Lake Event! I might just have to sneak back over that way for that weekend!! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 20, 2013, 09:16 PM »
sorry I didn't look good enough at the  flyer,it says 2014 but the fuel n food contests page says 2013.its great the weekend is that early,some times that contest can get really sloppy on the ice,even a couple days can make a huge difference

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #72 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Eiderz we are going to take our winnings, and head over to Oneida Sunday after the walleye challenge :tipup:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:39 AM »
Eiderz we are going to take our winnings, and head over to Oneida Sunday after the walleye challenge :tipup:

I sense the pot being stirred. I'm sittin on the sidelines for this, pass the popcorn please.

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Louies weekend long contest is good.but it can have some sloppy conditions both the ice and anglers. ;D anything louie puts together is fun.the after party is the best.good prizes beer and we get to hear the winners called.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Nov 21, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Louies weekend long contest is good.but it can have some sloppy conditions both the ice and anglers. ;D anything louie puts together is fun.the after party is the best.good prizes beer and we get to hear the winners called.
Absolutely! I look forward to that contest all year.....well,i just plain look forward to ice fishing all year :)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:12 AM »
My fly in fishing buddie from Virginia, is in with us. he has never icefished.We may want to video.With 1750 entrants,not all fish,$1649 per hour in payouts per hr.I would say the odds are very good. Win ,lose, or draw, Its aways a great time.I look forward to making the trip every yr.We do not have any tourney's Here that even come close.

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:23 AM »
we r lucky to have this kind of contest right in our back yard.hey octane do you guys have a big lake with walleye in it out your way?if you did you could probably get with people in the area and show them the outline to this touney and be able to do this one and one out your way.probably would be hard to talk people into  the kind of work it takes to make these things happen.just a thought.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:56 AM »
we r lucky to have this kind of contest right in our back yard.hey octane do you guys have a big lake with walleye in it out your way?if you did you could probably get with people in the area and show them the outline to this touney and be able to do this one and one out your way.probably would be hard to talk people into  the kind of work it takes to make these things happen.just a thought.

Boy don't we wish, we don't even have what would be considered a big lake in CT! Another problem is unpredictable ice conditions, that's whats so nice about GSL. One reason Octane and I like the WC is that it supports walleye stocking efforts, a great walleye lake like GSL deserves better than how the state treated it for many years. Two thumbs up for the stocking effort. :thumbsup:

Here in the take your license money and do-nothing state of CT, there are a handfull of public lakes stocked with walleyes, a couple more that don't have good access. A lake near where I live was stocked years ago, the state stopped stocking it about ten years ago because they weren't getting sufficient catch reports-DUH! Who's gonna report that they were catching big walters??!! Two years ago I offered to pay to stock that lake. I spoke directly with the DEEP fellow who said he was in charge of the program, gave him my contact info. Do you think he ever called me back? ::)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:28 AM »
As Eiderz said, our state is not very outdoors friendly,The lakes that do have walleye in them are controlled very tightly,one of the best walleye lakes here closes in Nov and does not open till trout season,with no ice fishing on it, Our bigger lakes do not freeze up that well. If we ever had to run an event like the walleye challenge it would be and act of congress, we all know how much gets done there..You guys are lucky to have that type of fishing close by,

Offline walkinonwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Nov 22, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Looking forward to the Walleye Challenge...hopefully I actually catch something this contest!

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #81 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:59 PM »
o man didn't realize things were like that over there.i cant wait for the sacandaga to be a great walleye producer.dont get me wrong they r in there but we have many better lakes to catch them in and bigger ones too.well if you guys cant do one out there its best to enjoy the one that already exists here in NY.my crew is in and we cant wait.won 1st hour last payout last year with a 2 or 3 way tie.50 bucks was awesome since a 50 dollar part broke on the sled that day.haha.well anyways enjoy ur time at the WC goodluck

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:49 AM »
The Great Sacandaga does not give up its walleye easily. hence the walleye challenge.Location is everything.I find Oneida to be a top producing walleye lake ,having worked at the hatchery, the numbers of walleye in that lake is nuts. looking forward to fishing it the sunday after the tourney. My friend Eiderz,will lead the way ,he has fished it ,and has a few good locations for Walldo.We should have a good season,ice wise,getting cold early.

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #83 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:35 PM »
yea a buddy of mine fishes that lake hard and catches a lot and nice ones.i will be fishing it this year im sure since I moved closer to it and got the invite to go with my buddy.he says they jig em up.i tipup fish and can honestly say I have never caught a fish on a jigpole.he says I will never go back to tipups.i say ill do what it takes to catch em!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Nov 24, 2013, 12:07 PM »
yea a buddy of mine fishes that lake hard and catches a lot and nice ones.i will be fishing it this year im sure since I moved closer to it and got the invite to go with my buddy.he says they jig em up.i tipup fish and can honestly say I have never caught a fish on a jigpole.he says I will never go back to tipups.i say ill do what it takes to catch em!

He's right in the sense that you will not use the tipups on Oneida because jigging is so productiive, but GSL is a tipup lake. We have caught lots of YP on GSL jigging, but not walter. You are smart to keep your options open!

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Your absolutely right,the GSL is mainly a tip up lake.none of the guys I fish with has ever done well jigging for eyes .im hoping to change that this year with the flasher :) also,as of this morning there's  ice as far as the eye can see from the northville bridge south !!!!!! It's coming guys!!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:47 AM »
Your absolutely right,the GSL is mainly a tip up lake.none of the guys I fish with has ever done well jigging for eyes .im hoping to change that this year with the flasher :) also,as of this morning there's  ice as far as the eye can see from the northville bridge south !!!!!! It's coming guys!!!!

Yeah, me likie! Are you gonna get snow or wet tomorrow? A little snow wouldn't be half as bad as the 4" of rain which the weather buffoon says is coming here.  :-\ If the ice makes it to Thursday, look out!   :tipup:

I'm sure you'll do well jigging, especially with the perch. I bet with some work you'll figure out how to catch walter jigging in GSL as well.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Pretty sure were going to get snow here if anything,it's only supposed to be a little above freezing during the day on Wednesday and Thursday,then it's right back to frigid. If I can find the eyes with tip ups,I don't see why I couldn't jigging :)

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:35 AM »
You Ct. Guys are not alone on crappy walleye and pike/musky stocking, us in eastern Pa. get scummy trout every year and in the winter as well. It's the fish commissions money maker with a $9 trout stamp. It's disgusting, sure wish they stocked pike again and real walleye not fry.
Got Bugs?

Offline Team Rufus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Nov 25, 2013, 08:37 PM »
i got a 34 inch pike and a 29 eye one day last year.........i am comming back for more this year........it's gona be a lot of this :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:and then a lot of this ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.