Poll

Have you fallen through th ice

yes
148 (54.8%)
no
122 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 268

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 AM

Author Topic: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Been through multiple times and hopefully no more

First time I took my lady out.    Yup up to my nipples.   She was impressed on how I found the unsafe ice for her not to walk on

and they say chivalry is dead.  :laugh:

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #91 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Do I get to vote more than once if I fell in more than once?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #92 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:34 PM »
does stepping in old 10" holes covered in fresh snow count?  i've done that a few times one time they were all over the area we were fishing and i found at least a half dozen of them the hard way.  I had one time after a rain the ice blew away from shore and opened some big cracks 4 inches of snow on top completely hid it (conesus lake) 18inches of ice took a step and was up to my neck in 20 foot of water tried to crawl out and my first attempt was along the crack so i couldnt find a handle.  got out got real cold so buddy and i packed up went to north end warmed up in the car went back out for a couple more hours and got a nice pike out of the deal.  found a large triangle hole covered in snow on 5 inches of ice one year two only got a leg wet that time still dont know where the hell that hole came from
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline ice junkies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you wana catch more fish, go more often
« Reply #93 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:03 PM »
once in 25 years, rotten pond ice, went in up to my waist caught myself with the spud and slid out. oh and i knew better than to be on that ice- you always know better!

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #94 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:04 PM »
Twice, in the late 80’s, early 90’s ... been luckier (maybe smarter) since then!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Never fallen through, don't want to again.

Offline moejo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:40 PM »
:cookoo:Hope I never dooo   carry picks !

Offline Crazyforgills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Went in up to my armpits last year over 30 ft of water.  It scared the crap out of me.  I bought a striker suit the next day. I can't risk it with small kids .   No ice is 100% safe faster that to me.
Steve

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 PM »
No Sir.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:38 AM »
I am not even going to tell you how many times... ;)

I will point out a few facts.

Notice that more than half the people in this poll have had a WET experience or two...

And this poll is only the ice fishermen on the internet on this site. There are more ice fishermen that DO NOT USE THE INTERNET, than those that do.

Those that ice fish MORE , have a better chance of falling through.

Those that think that waiting for thicker ice means it is safe for them, ARE FOOLING THEMSELVES. Thicker ice will lessen your chance of finding a thin spot..but I have gone through on 22 inches of ice, with a foot of snow on top! (one bad hidden spot, I found it)

NO ICE IS ABSOLUTELY SAFE.

Wish I had ice picks when beaver trapping as a kid...but we would cut a long pole and carry it to help push back up. REALLY WISH THERE WERE FLOAT SUITS BACK THEN.

Float suits work, AND SAVE LIVES.

In my opinion, every ice fisherman should invest in one of these suits, before they buy a fishfinder, auger, 4 wheeler, snowmobile, shanty, $100's and $100's of jigs and poles, heaters, jetsleds, GPS's and any/all other gear that I see everyone with, that doesn't have a float suit.. ::) :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

SAFETY FIRST

What are you all thinking?  >:(

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:57 AM »
Fell through once on a foot if ice over 40 feet of water. Somebody had neglected to mark out where their bait trap/shanty hole or whatever had been. Complete whiteout conditions. Luckily I had been carrying my hand auger at full length because both the handle and blades caught opposite sides of the hole. It was so cold that day that my glove had frozen to the shaft... No doubt that I was saved that day by that cold weather and my lazer auger. I pulled myself up onto the ice legs first. It was terrifying having to put my head under that water and cling to the auger to get out of the lake. I have no idea how I was able to get out of that, I was in full wool and had steel-toe boots on. My clothes must have weighed at least as much as me by the time I was out of the water.

Just goes to show that no ice is safe ice... Especially if there are irresponsible anglers ahead of you.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:21 AM »
Fell thru about 4 years ago-at night in just over 5 ft of water-30 ft from shore in Boyd's corners reservoir, worst part was that I was by myself and had to go back for my gear

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Been through twice as a kid. Once to my waist and once complete. Slow learner but three times your out. So I look for signs all the time now. Education is key. Learn what to do if you go through and learn what to have. Better to have stuff and not use it than wish you did
Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

Offline chriskerr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:39 AM »
 I have gone through with just one leg and quite surprised how fast you go down. Its enough to wake you up and rethink weather its worth being out therein late ice conditions.

Offline rlewis6987

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Love all the stories! You really can't be safe enough when traveling onto any frozen body of water..I've never had "wet boots" and I hope I  never do , and if I do I hope I'm lucky enough to be able to share the story too!!
Be safe and Tight lines!!

Offline iceauger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1lb11oz Sodus bay
« Reply #105 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Yep two times,once at Sodus and at Canandaigua.The time at Sodus I let two fat guys go first they cracked the ice and I fell threw.

auger :tipup:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Never fallen thru
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #107 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:59 AM »
As stated earlier havent fell thru in 50 yrs and I would say I fish more than the average guy, at least 6 days a week morning and evening!!  Luck has nothing to do with it, just use your head.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #108 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:33 AM »
a  few

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #109 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Does it count if you willingly step off the ice, into butt deep water, take a 20' strole and step back up onto shore? If so then I and at least 30 other guys did that on Oneida last spring  ;D .Boy the fat lady sang that day  :o  :o  :o  ;D .

Offline rikrad1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing RULZ!
« Reply #110 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:27 PM »
I am 51 and have fallen through three times since I was 12. Two years ago on Chautauqua. I have an idi arctic armor suit now

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #111 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:29 PM »
O'BOY, have I,started in 1946 last time was in 2002 shoreline at res.AND I SPUD [most times]THIS IS THE KEY, SPUDDING
MUST BE ALL THE TIME,or swim,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline pughole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love it when your hands are all fish slime
« Reply #112 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Yes i have,twice. Both times it was late season trying to get off the ice in Lake George. Should have known better then to go where we did. Thank god it was half way warm and not to far from shore,still 10-15' of water. That's why it's important to fish with good people,the ones that will help you god forbid you need it. That's why the F A T (fish assault team) boys stick together.

Offline waterlover48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:09 PM »
went thru eel bay a few years ago was late season should of known  better, but the perch were biting ,up to my waist before i knew what happened and wasn't touching bottom, did the doggie paddle as fast as i could and rolled myself back on the ice, weird thing is it took a while before the cold water finally seeped though my clothing but man when it did was it ever cold major shrinkage  time lol lucky we were staying at the cabins layed in the shower for a hour ,now i,m a little bit smarter always use a good spud and have a suit that floats

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Closest I came was on Lake Champlain a few year back at the Ti ferry where we were on 6"+ of ice. The wind came up and broke it loose, I would have either ended up in the drink or in VT if I didn't make/ take the 3 foot jump between the slab I was on and the one still locked to shore. After we got to shore my buddy and I watched it just float away.

Offline flybuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:35 PM »
I fell thru once but not while fishing if that counts. About 6 years ago while deer hunting a new property I broke thru on a beaver dam completely submerged over my head. I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. I got back out relatively easy but would never want ti feel that rush of ice cold water filling my cloths and boots again

Offline iceman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:41 PM »
i am as die hard as they come,use to work 3rd shift and considered it a sin not to get out at least 5 times a week.i fish all over NEPA, and NY ,onieda,sandy,sodus,finger lakes,indian river lakes, bays along the SL and have gone through at shore more times than i care to admit. worst i ever went through was on 14in warmed up and rained and old drill holes opened up to 6ft diameter refroze with a in of ice and a dusting of snow whole lake looked the same was out fishing for 2 hr moving my tip-ups around took a diff path and went through 20 fow. don't take a chance always have your bar you never know

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Been baptized a few times lol

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #118 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 PM »
How do you know the season is over until you fall in? ;)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Yes it is a 50/50 trend. But...
What if we had a tally of how many ice outings combined in this thread?
I'm 35 and have a good chunk of ice time under my belt. I'm sure there are plenty of dudes that have triple the ice time that I have.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.