Poll

Have you fallen through th ice

yes
148 (54.8%)
no
122 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 268

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 AM

Author Topic: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Official poll: Have you ever personally fell through the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:22 AM »
For this poll im glad to be in the minority and havent gone in and hope that never changes
It's close

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:26 AM »
i always fell thru when i was a youngin. We have a brook/ river that ran behind our house. well winter comes and ice breaking we would go. fellin/went swimming alot , that was the fun part. House was a close walk thou. did save a child hood friend who went thru to his armpits from the ice. Ah the good old days.

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 AM »
no, and I hope i never do!!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:28 AM »
Twice- St. Law. river, Sand bay and Sodus bay. Stillhere to tell the stories.

hinkydo

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:48 AM »
yes broke throw twice . friends twice this year

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Not yet, and hope I never experience it! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:12 AM »
up to my knee once in 30 fow.....the ice was 20" thick....a pressure crack had opened up a foot wide and skimmed over with a dusting of snow on top....was more pissed off than scared.....none the less it ruined my day

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:18 AM »
I went in up to my chest on a boat launch. The wind kicked up and the water on this end of Lake Erie rose and the snow on the edges turned to slush and it just swallowed me up. Luckily it was only 5' deep 'cause it was a tough go climbing out.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Twice! Once ice fishing, which was on about 12" of ice and found a thin spot. Fell in to my waist, caught myself with hands and laid on my stomach. I was able to get out by myself.

The second time on generally 4" of ice and again, a thin spot. I was trapping for beaver and fell through, with only an elbow and my head above the ice! Lucky a friend wanted to tag along. He was able to reach me with a tree branch and I was able to climb out.

It was a while for me to get back on the ice. I didn,t want strike three! After finding IS, with a the information on Ice Safety the odds are now on my side.

Safety First and no ice is safe ice!

bart

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:46 AM »
2 times...
Once on Oneida about 30 years ago on a snowmobile. Late ice and the shoreline went to mush/gone. We were out 50-75 yards, didnt realize it was only 4 ft deep till someone noticed the tip of the windshiled sticking up. Lots of sleds and people went in that day. It was mid week and everyone was talking about fishing saturday...
And Sandy Pond about 25 yrs ago. That was much scarrier as we were out over 10-12 fow. Warm march day and the ice went to mush, it was like walking on a sponge. Think there was 13 of us out there athat day and 8 or 9 got wet. Hellicopter showed up as we all got off. Again, we were pounding fish and every on was talking about fishing that comming weekend again....

Things happen but dont plan on it again...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I have broken through, but I have never been in fear. It's always been close to shore and always ended up a funny story thankfully.
My best one:
I was fishing one of my favorite honey holes at late ice when I was in my early 20's. One of those places I felt WAY too comfortable for my own good. We needed 8' planks to get on. Can you tell I was asking for it? The gills were on fire and I piled up. When I made my way back to the shore where the big gap was. I could watch bluegills and pumkinseeds dart in and attack a school of shiners. I turn to my buddy, "Dude, watch this. Betcha I can catch one of those bad boys with my hands." I layed down on my stomach and scooted to the edge of the ice. My timing was perfect and I pinned a big gill against a rock with my first swipe. Just as I did it. Crrraaaaccckkkk. I go in 3 fow while laying on my belly. I STILL came up with that darn fish! I was so flippin' proud of myself the cold wet clothes didn't bother me.
I rode home in my tighty whiteys with heat cranking and Ryan starring out the passenger window the whole way home.
It'll be a while before I go sharing that stry with my little one's.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:16 AM »
We didn't actually go in but had a scary experience on the Missouri River in South Dakota. We were fishing for walleyes about 10 miles below Ft. Thompson Dam on lake Francis Case. We were pounding the walleyes n saugers. The ice was 18 to 20 inches thick and we were out on it in my wife's brand new car. We didn't notice but while we were fishing they had started releasing water from the dam so when we drove back to the boat launch we were greeted with 50 feet of open water beetween us and shore. My buddy's wanted to wade in but I said if I can't get this car off the ice there is no need for me to go home, ever. One of my friends said he would get it off and got about a quarter mile run and hit that open water sofast that it half hydroplane across it. There was water and mud flying everywhere. I washed her car and never mentioned it to my wife. About 5 years later after too many years one of my friends spilled the beans to my wife. Now I hear about it every time I go ice fishing but it is never in her car. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:18 AM »
never when fishing but went through plenty of times trapping beaver

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:48 AM »
yes

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:50 AM »
went through well over my head, and couldn't get back out cause the ice kept breaking...in no time i was exhausted...luckily fishingking was there and pulled me out, saved my life.   I learned my lesson and spud everywhere now

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:25 AM »
When I was about 8, my younger brother and I fell through over our head but it wasn't on a body of water.  My parents were looking at houses for a potential move and one house was left half built and we went to check it out in the middle of February.  As my parents looked over the house and property my brother and I found what we thought was a frozen puddle and start jumping on it to specifically break the ice.  When the ice finally broke we fell into what we learned to be a fuel storage tank pit that was left open.  It was deep enough to swallow both of us up and our parents fished us out.  Very odd experience but only one having falling all the way through.

In a related breaking through the ice under dangerous conditions, see my post here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=145135.20

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Started Ice fishing with my Father at the age of 5 ( Now 54 ), on Titicus for slob Whites. I have yet to fall in, and have no plans on doing so, thank you  ;D
Fish like theres no tommorow.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Been in to my knees late season on shore ice. Been in spots wondering if I was goin in but stayed dry so far. Hoping with the way it is now I am not back on here in a few days changing this. Good luck and Stay Dry.

Offline evanesce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:42 AM »
went through well over my head, and couldn't get back out cause the ice kept breaking...in no time i was exhausted...luckily fishingking was there and pulled me out, saved my life.   I learned my lesson and spud everywhere now
This is a scary story.  Imagine falling in but can't find your way up again. That's gotta be the worst case scenario...  Glad you're alright!

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 AM »
I had gone through once where the coast guard cut a hole for practice on Durand lake . was froze over and didn't see it til I was wet.lol
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sniksder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Last March, took one step out onto the ice on Otisco and fell up to my waist, one of the scariest feelings I've ever had. Stupid move on my part, could see there was a little play on the ice when I took my first step, but I was thinking not me, famous last words...  :o :o

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Not through but did manage to find a snow covered hole at NFTA Small Boat harbor in 2008.  Whole leg was wet, kept fishing   @)

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Never fallen through. :)
Master Laker taker.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:10 PM »
fell through when i was young, screwing around on a pond. walked 2 1/2 blocks home in 10 degree weather, and was frozen solid by the time i got home. Mom put me in the shower to get my clothes off!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BALLSTHATCLANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:34 PM »
I went through many times when I was young. I went through mostly on beaver ponds and such hunting and fishing and of course screwing around. Sometimes it was just a boot and on a couple of occasions up to my armpits! Back in the day I always wore wool so even though I froze at first once I got to moving to get home I warmed up a little. Knowing now what I went through back then makes me more aware. I carry a good long rope at all times just in case.

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Ok, I let RG decide if these qualify ?? Once at the north west end of Honeoye Lake chasing two dogs that had killed a deer. (Damn gas pockets), three times on RG's Queen of the Finger Lakes (Keuka), twice rescuing deer and another rescuing a dog. Also, several times beaver trapping. I know RG, not to bright am I !!  JTP

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:11 PM »
to the hips a couple times, over my head never
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:13 PM »
yes, on the Erie Canal when i was in my early 20's. luckily someone found me after 45 min and brought me to the hospital. body temp was 92*F. makes you look at life in a different way. what could of been

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:26 PM »
No I have never fallen in and hopefully never do. I have been with friends on 3 different occasions where they have fallen through, everyone got out ok and it made me much more cautious. :tipup:

Offline millsite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:31 PM »
 I voted no. Usually stuff like this bites me in the butt.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.