New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: eel bay  (Read 11059 times)

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eel bay
« Reply #60 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Thanks man. I hate the weather this year. Its worse then last. Lol
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline IceRugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:06 PM »
So anyone go out there today? how is the ice holding up with the warmer temps? still going to be ok for tomorrow? thanks!!!

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I imagine we'll get lots of Eel bay reports tomorrow but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone was out there today (Friday).  We have 42 degrees with a pretty stiff breeze here in Clayton (I'm about 4 miles west of Eel Bay).  Any ice in our bays is breaking up but that's probably more a function of the wind than the temp.

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Fished Eel bay from first light to about 8am. Ice was 5-6 inches,left and went to lake of the isles and fished till 130. Ice there (5-7 inches) was holding up fine when i left. Guys had wheelers out in both place. To early for me to bring a machine out.

Tight lines!!

Offline NYBeastFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Lets hope it holds up. Looking to get out there reallllly soon!

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:13 PM »
fished the isles today....mostly dinks. attempted to go out after dark for som crappie but there were some big cracks and lots of slush by then. wasnt about to hike all the way out and be the only one there. not sure if its gonna be any good after tomorrow

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:01 PM »
220 miles, ¾ tank of gas,  up at 430am, flat tire in Watertown on the way home :P…..all for 7hrs on the ice. Worth it??  YOU BET!!! :thumbsup: Hit Eel bay for the first time today.  Was the first one up there and wondered if I was in the right spot….waited for the next 2 cars to show before hitting the ice.

A good 6” of ice, wheelers out there today.  Perch messing with my tip ups all day….a lot of flags. Not too much time to jig.  Iced 5 decent perch, 3 pike just short  (around 18”), kept 2 (23” and 26”), got bit off by 2 really good feeling fish, missed a couple hook sets  and dropped one at the hole.  All in all a great day.  Got my fix in and brought home dinner.  Nice spot to fish. Wish it was a bit closer to home.

The smaller of the 2 keepers.

Dinner tomorrow

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:12 PM »
the ice was good until late....it didnt warm up till afternoon but the ice definitely took a hit. im up here wondering if it will be safe tomorrow a.m. still around 40 at 9pm. funny how different peoples perspective is when it comes to fishing. i stopped setting tipups cuz it gets in the way of jigging while other guys would rather chase flags...to each there own. beauty of the sport!

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:27 PM »
 emtorn...besides the tire issue seems like it was a good day out. good job!

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Yea. Great to hear the bite is on.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:46 PM »
i stopped setting tipups cuz it gets in the way of jigging while other guys would rather chase flags...to each there own. beauty of the sport!

I did mostly jigging last year on Oneida except for 2 days with the boys on Big bay.  Would sometimes throw out one or two while I was on the main lake jigging, but most of the time was spent jigging on Oneida.  Nice change of pace to chase flags most of the day... something different. 

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:04 PM »
probably two hundred or so people on eel bay today....ice still holding up..lots of wheelers...hard to find a place to put in five tip ups...lots of perch...dinks and good ones.  didnt see alot of keeper pike , lots of running for flags.....beautiful day on the ice.. needs to turn cold to save what ice there is...

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:56 PM »
probably two hundred or so people on eel bay today....ice still holding up..lots of wheelers...hard to find a place to put in five tip ups...lots of perch...dinks and good ones.  didnt see alot of keeper pike , lots of running for flags.....beautiful day on the ice.. needs to turn cold to save what ice there is...

200 people!  Holy smokes that bay must look like swiss cheese.  I knew it was a good idea to fish during the week up there, that sounds like a rat race.  Anybody have any pics of all those people on the ice?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline freezepop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:14 PM »
1000 island bait shop says 3 to 5 inches ...............freezep op

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:11 PM »
200 people!  Holy smokes that bay must look like swiss cheese.  I knew it was a good idea to fish during the week up there, that sounds like a rat race.  Anybody have any pics of all those people on the ice?

WOW :o  Glad I went Fri

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:31 PM »
went out today group of nine of ius the pike were hitting caught 20 pike it slowed down in the evening the perch bite was good to 100 or so good ones ice is 6 to 6 1/2 inches were i was fishing

Offline jasonr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:14 PM »
fished eel bay today lots of little pike and perch ice was good

Offline IceRugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Anyone been out this wk or going out tomorrow? Wondering how the ice held up this wk and if it's good enough for a wheeler or a snowmobile? thanks!

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:36 PM »
i heard there were quite a few people out there on Wednesday...fish caught but none of any size.

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:41 PM »
I was there Wednesday too with Capt. Guy. Ice was a good 5 inches thick with wheelers running around. Caught a few perch. Bring your tip-ups and get rid of them pesky pike!

Hey Emtorn, I think that is my Otter in that pic from last Friday. hehe

Zern
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Was out today. Ice is holding up but fishing is slow.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:48 PM »
I was there Wednesday too with Capt. Guy. Ice was a good 5 inches thick with wheelers running around. Caught a few perch. Bring your tip-ups and get rid of them pesky pike!

Hey Emtorn, I think that is my Otter in that pic from last Friday. hehe

Zern

That was an Otter.  Was Probably you.  It was set kinda by itself toward the middle more from everyone else.  I think I set my tip ups in a line right along your tracks from your drag out there....lol

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:57 PM »
  We where at Eel on Wed. guys to the left of us where chasing flags and guys to the right with wheelers chasing flags also. Some perch alot of dinks, and pike... Anyone have the depth of that place? we sat in 4-5'
 does it get deeper ?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:59 PM »
  We where at Eel on Wed. guys to the left of us where chasing flags and guys to the right with wheelers chasing flags also. Some perch alot of dinks, and pike... Anyone have the depth of that place? we sat in 4-5'
 does it get deeper ?

Not much deeper

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:05 PM »
I didn't find anythinmore than 5 1/2'

Offline NYBeastFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Hopefully she'll gain a couple inches over the next few days. Nice cold front coming in...

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:12 PM »
according to my gps there are only 4 and 6 ft depths all throughout the bay nothing deeper.  kinda ruined my thoughts cause I dont like to fish that shallow so I might actually shoot over to black lake or try lake of the isles again.  will see how spunky im feeling saturday morning.

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:21 AM »
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Zern...TY Just what I was looking for.

Offline ICEFROG