New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!  (Read 11395 times)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re: Don't mark old holes with 2x4's!!!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Reflective tape is a wonderful invention, I put it on everything including the tip ups works great and the ATVs and Sleds know where me and my gear is in the dark. If you wanted to hurt someone stop messing around and carry a rifle in your jet sled. ;D
Yeah they make shelters now with them which was necessary. If you have a wooden shack its still possible that they will run it over tho.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27754

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Attended objects  close to my self and equipment. NOT leaving  dangerous stuff after leaving.

OOOOH, but it is ok to leave something dangerous while you are there??? And in another post
you said something about the sled guys getting "OWNED". Which means getting hurt or messing
there machines up right.Come on dont back out now.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I'm guilty and have brought dangerous stuff out at night and any thing big or heavy I broght back. And I  dont leave propane cyls. either. Now I have to defend myself because a square head let a 2x4 sticking straight up.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Woops we need to cool down or this will be sent to the GOMS area.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Woops we need to cool down or this will be sent to the GOMS area.

Good point!

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:17 PM »
WHEN YOU GET ON A SNOWMOBILE, ATV MOTORCYCLE, CAR, WHATEVER , IT INVOLVES RISK AND RESPOSIBILITY.   IF THEIR WAS NO RISK INVOLVED YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR OF ANY KIND OF ACIDENTS, THE RESPONSIBILITY IS WHAT YOU OWE TO YOURSELF AND OTHERS YOU RIDE AROUND.
A FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME OF WATCHING A GUY DIE ON THE ICE A FEW YEARS BACK WHILE RIDING IN THE U.P. AND MACINAW ISLAND, HE WAS TRAVELING AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED ASSUMING HE IS ON THE ICE AND ITS OK,  HE DID NOT ASSUME THEIR WOULD BE ANYTHING IN HIS WAY WHEN HE CAME UPON A PRESSURE RIDGE THAT HEAVED A LARGE SHEET OF ICE UP ABOUT SIX FOOT,,,,,
FOR MYSELF I CAN MARK A SPOT WITH MY GPS IF I WANT TO COME BACK, AS FOR PUTTING SOMETHING IN A LARGE SPEARING HOLE I WILL USE WHATEVER I CAN TO WARN SOMEONE NOT TO STEP HERE, I RIDE MYSELF BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SOMEONE DROWNING.   I WILL NOT TRY TO PERPOUSLY MAKE IT DANGEROUS FOR SLEDDERS OR ATV'S BUT IF ALL I HAVE IS A 2X4 ITS GOING IN THE HOLE.   
YOU CANNOT ASSUME YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AND EVERYTHING IS CLEAR NO MATTER WHERE YOU RIDE, ON THE TRAILS OR THE ICE.
WHEN YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF A SNOWMOBILE DURING THE DAY, AT NIGHT, IN A SNOWSTORM, IN FOG OR WHATEVER IF AN OBJECT COMES UP IN FRONT OF YOU,  A STUMP, A PRESSURE RIDGE OR EVEN A 2X4 YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO EITHER STOP OR GO AROUND IT,  IF YOU CANNOT YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST AND OUT OF CONTROL OF YOUR MACHINE AND NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE!,,,,,PERIOD!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:23 PM »
Rayman said it right.  I don't care if you are in asnow storm or drunk or blind in one eye, if you can't see where you are going slow the heck down so you can, you are the only one that can be responsible for hitting something!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:48 PM »
so if i paint a brick black lay it in the road on a rainy night and your wife hit's it gets killed it's all her fault she should have been going slower???? come on!!!! he paints the 2x4's white!!!!!

Offline jon in ct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I like the idea actually, never thought of it.  I'm sick of having tipups smashed by snowmobiles.  Those that use them in a safe, respectable manner have no reason to worry.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:51 PM »
how can anyone even defend the actions of someone sticking 2x4's 18 inches out of the ice?????????  i'm sorry thats stupid and any one that defends it is too

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Speed bump crew! take the quad out and wind row the snow. then the next quad spray water on it! ;D

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I love to go too fast on my land missile :woot:.  I love to ice fish. :thumbsup: :roflmao:
It doesn't take and IQ test to get a fishing licence or to buy a snowmobile.
ie.  I was walking around in a state forest deer hunting and I met up with a guy hunting with duck brown caharts on w/o a stitch of orange :wacko:

I wouldn't want to hit a 2x4 @ 100mph so I mark my spot w/GPS if I have to.  @ night I make someone else lead so they crash and I have enough time to avoid a crash.

USE YOUR HEAD AND WE CAN ALL GET ALONG ;D
my $.02
Sorry to hear about your buddies sled Walleyes
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:43 PM »
TRAPPER, I DON'T DEFEND ANYONE THAT WOULD DELIBRATLY PUT CONCRETE BLOCKS OR OBSTRUCTIONS OF ANY KIND ON THE ICE TO PURPOUSLY INJURE ANYBODY, I WILL HOWEVER MARK A LARGE HOLE THE WAY I SEE FIT IF YOU THINK THAT IS STUPID FINE, THATS A MATTER OF OPIOION. I DID NOT CALL ANYBODY ANY NAMES TO MAKE MY POINT OR DRAG YOUR WIFE OR ANYONE ELSE'S INTO THIS DISCUSSION.
IF YOU DON'T BELIVE YOU SHOULD BE IN CONTROL OF A MACHINE YOUR ON POSSIBLY YOU ARE A BIGGER PROBLEM OUT THERE THAN YOU REALIZE.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I like the idea actually, never thought of it.  I'm sick of having tipups smashed by snowmobiles.  Those that use them in a safe, respectable manner have no reason to worry.

What idea do you like, 2x4s sticking out of the ice or painting them white so people cant see them to even try to avoid them. UNBELIEVABLE!! What if a family member where to hit something like this I bet you would sing a different tune.

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:44 PM »
CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG?!?!?
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #75 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:58 PM »
We can all get along by using the common sense that god gave us .
Deliberately placing an object painted white on the ice is not using that common sense in any way shape or form .
It's really very simple , if you think it's necessary to mark a hole for what ever reason simply grab a few sticks before you go on the ice and use them . Then everyone wins , the holes are marked and if by chance they do get hit by a sled or ATV the operator don't have to be injured or even worse killed .

I don't think any judge and jury with a little common sense would let a painted 2x4 or brick fly in any state . I would be one juror that would either see to it someone spent some time or see to it that it was a hung jury .

We all value our free time , space and equipment but I would hope that loosing a tip up isn't more important than a life .
Again that's what law enforcement and cell phones are for .

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:08 PM »
raymond read the entire thread i called no one stupid i said the act was stupid i used a wife as a example i'm sure if walleyes friend was killed his wife would feel the same as if you lost a loved one. they hit a 2x4 18inches painted white!!!!! left on purpose do you get it!!!! there fisherman coming off the ice!!!! thats a act with the sole purpose of  hurting someone!!!! do you get it now!!!! you don't stick 2x4's down holes painted white ,whats wrong with you???? now if you can honestly defend that then you have a few issues and i apoligize but i'm not going to back off  because some moron out there sticks a 2x4 in the ice and thinks it's funny if a kid hits it and gets killed thats BS
                                                                                                                                    trap

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I ice fished 103 days last year. Not once did the thought come to my mind that I had more right to any part of a lake than somone else that wanted to use it. When your out trolling do you need a napkin to wipe your tears because another boat trolled the same path that you are? ::)

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:53 PM »
I use 2X6s painted white with skulls and crossbones.  I love skulls and crossbones.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:59 PM »
<<<makes nyfishfinder catch pickeral for that one hahahaha

Offline baitandwait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:50 PM »
i hate it i have a shanty ohh in the middle of no where with a big lake to ride around and they ride less than 10 feet from my door step...c mon i wish there was a way to stop thees jerks.. any ideas???
  Well i have a thought here, tip ups are consided traps! thats why we have to tag them right? if you read your trapping rules book, it states " anyone we harasses a trapper is breaking the law and could be arrested" now i don't know how we could make it work for us, especially with a speeding snow mobile that disrepair's??? just a thought :unsure: ;)2

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:12 AM »
very easy use your cell phone and call a eco get sled numbers state law is a snowmobile can't go faster then just moving within 100 yrds of you!!!! it's been posted a few times in this tread

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #82 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:24 AM »
Now trap sometimes people need a good lump on the noggin to make them realize what they are doin is wrong.  A pressure treated 2x6 might just be the remedy.  And as far as the skull and crossbones, well they are just BA.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:47 AM »
i only wrap someone upside the head if they try stealing my pickeral hot spot nyfish and i know your after mine
                                                                                                                                            trap

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:08 AM »
Not sure why anyone would want to make their hole with a 2x4 other than to know where it was so that when they come back the can find where they were fishing in the first place.  If this is the sole reason, and I think we would all agree that it poses some risks, why don't you just invest in a good gps.  You can easily mark the spot and come back to it (within a few feet) and fish "your spot" again.  Another advantage of this is that no one else knows where your "honey-hole" is.  By marking it with a stick or worse still, a 2x4, you are telling every other ice fisher where you caught fish. 

David

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:09 AM »
raymond read the entire thread i called no one stupid i said the act was stupid i used a wife as a example i'm sure if walleyes friend was killed his wife would feel the same as if you lost a loved one. they hit a 2x4 18inches painted white!!!!! left on purpose do you get it!!!! there fisherman coming off the ice!!!! thats a act with the sole purpose of  hurting someone!!!! do you get it now!!!! you don't stick 2x4's down holes painted white ,whats wrong with you???? now if you can honestly defend that then you have a few issues and i apoligize but i'm not going to back off  because some moron out there sticks a 2x4 in the ice and thinks it's funny if a kid hits it and gets killed thats BS
                                                                                                                                    trap

IF YOU DID READ MY LAST POST YOU WOULD SEE THAT I AM NOT DEFENDING ANYONE THAT TRY TO HURT SOMEONE BY PAINTING 2X4'S WHITE. 
I AM TALKING ABOUT MARKING A SPEARING HOLE THAT COULD BE COVERED BY WIND BLOWN SNOW, PICTURE AN ATV HITTING ONE AT ONLY 15 OR 20 MPH. OR SOMEONE STEPPING INTO IT.
DO YOU GET IT NOW??????

Offline jon in ct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:23 PM »

What idea do you like, 2x4s sticking out of the ice or painting them white so people cant see them to even try to avoid them. UNBELIEVABLE!! What if a family member where to hit something like this I bet you would sing a different tune.

wouldn't necessarily paint it white, maybe hunter orange.  Someone in my family wouldn't hit it, because they'd operate at a safe reasonable speed.  It's no different than being on a road, if you hit a large visible object, you're not driving safe.  I'm not talking about leaving it out while I'm not there.  Carry in and out.  Just a way to mark my tipup so it doesn't get crushed.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I seriously doubt they were put there for the sole purpose of hurting someone.
Sounds like a lack of thought completely through, the guys who put them there and the snowmobile's who hit them.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:40 PM »
raymond this actually occured on a lake in new york! we don't spear pike here if you read the thread you will see that  the words "own"the snowmobiler actually appear! were not talking making a large hole that someone could fall in were talking about someone set white 2x4's out with the sole purpose to hurt a snowmobiler,not to mark a dangerous hole or bad ice!!!!the person it happened too was a fellow ice fisherman the 2x4's were unattended !!!! read the whole thread "GET IT" this really isn't even funny
                                                                                                                                trap

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:09 PM »
hmmm....I never read the original poster saying the 2x4 his buddy hit being painted white  ??? ???   He did however say it was covered by wind blown snow which would mean no matter what color it was it wouldn't be seen

I try to avoid any lakes that allow snowmobiling simply due to the fact theres always going to be guys who feel they are entitled to use your gear as their trails. I've met plenty of guys on sleds that were curtious and take it slow by me and others who feel they are entitled to blow by me within 15-20' at 80MPH because I'm set up where they want to ride. Unfourtunately the latter happens much more often than the guys who slow down
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.