Author Topic: Alligator Gar  (Read 6897 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Alligator Gar
« on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:35 AM »
A friend of mine sent these in an email so I had to put them here. Don't know who these guys
are, but they where on Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. Judging by the first pic, they were bow fishing
when this one was taken. Congrats guys, whoever you are.

Judging by the slime dripping off the tail, I would say these pics are real.
Wow! I didn't know an Alligator Gar could get so big!
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Alligator Gar
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Who says you don't need a pair of 10" holes side by side! ;D

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2007, 07:34 AM »
HAHA  I would have cut my line and ran screaming like a little girl ifi caught that. wait nevermind i do that when i catch a perch too ::) ::)

pinche

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Thats awesome ! Thanks for sharing the pics !

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:42 AM »
that would be a sweet wall mount
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:50 AM »
that would be a sweet wall mount
Uh, did you mean sweet and EXPENSIVE wall Mount?

I would do it anyways!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Holy crap, that thing's friggin awesome!  wish we had some here in MN

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Holy crap, that thing's friggin awesome!  wish we had some here in MN
Not so sure about that. Would there be any Walleye, Pike pannies, turtles, human swimmers, ducks, geese or other living organism left if these inhabited Minnessota waters? ;D

pinche

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:12 PM »

I would do it anyways!
More like a roof orniment ! :D

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2007, 02:25 PM »

I would do it anyways!

what would you have to do drop a couple grand? thats chump change.

Or you could do it yourself :)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I think I would go as far as a second mortage to get this one mounted. We have alligator gar here in NW Ohio,
but the biggest I've seen is about 4 feet.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2007, 03:42 PM »

what would you have to do drop a couple grand? thats chump change.

Or you could do it yourself :)
To do this mount by yourself, you would need time and space. My wife assisted with the "stuffing" (ah, thought you would get me with a mount joke eh?) of a gator that was in the area of 18' if I recall correctly. It is in the Columbus Georgia Museum. They used an engine hoist just to lift the head, as it weighed over 200 pounds. They dried the hide ontop of the roof cause it was so big. I see similar requirements here if it were done at home. Big vats for chemicals etc...

Pay the chump change!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2007, 05:05 PM »
 :o those things are scary looking!! wow!!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:13 PM »
To do this mount by yourself, you would need time and space. My wife assisted with the "stuffing" (ah, thought you would get me with a mount joke eh?) of a gator that was in the area of 18' if I recall correctly. It is in the Columbus Georgia Museum. They used an engine hoist just to lift the head, as it weighed over 200 pounds. They dried the hide ontop of the roof cause it was so big. I see similar requirements here if it were done at home. Big vats for chemicals etc...

Pay the chump change!

lol no I would only try to get you with a mount joke in the mirc shanty. I try to keep it clean outside of there ;D

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2007, 10:06 PM »
 :o :o :o

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:02 PM »
I noticed they had a video camera with 'em.  Anybody know if that might be posted somewhere?  I'd definitely be interested in seeing that!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2007, 03:50 PM »
Impressive, zebco 202 reel on the bow reeling in a 300 lb fish.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2007, 06:38 PM »
I saw an In-Fisherman last winter that they were fishing those monsters on the Trinity River in central Texas. They are underfished and overlooked according to Doug Stange. :o

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2007, 10:10 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks its a shame to kill something like that...I am a bowhunter also so I have no problem with bowfishing, ( for carp ). Think how old that thing was...not that your gonna eat it. No offense to the guys who did it....or would. I was just curious if anybody else is as big an "old woman" as me ;D
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks its a shame to kill something like that...I am a bowhunter also so I have no problem with bowfishing, ( for carp ). Think how old that thing was...not that your gonna eat it. No offense to the guys who did it....or would. I was just curious if anybody else is as big an "old woman" as me ;D
Yea, if I'm not going to eat it, use it, and its not a problem, I just let it go by, or toss it back. Seems us bow hunters tend that way more than others. Hell-of-a photo, if its legit? Line me up as "old woman". But understand I'll back the fellow sportsman all the way, even if I do it different.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:47 PM »
nonsense, Minnesota would be fine if they had gator gar, minnesota is loaded with longnose and shortnosed gar and you seem to be doing just fine. gator gar are al over texas and the fishing doesnt seem to be affected.

any gator gar over 300 pounds would be record breaking for rod and reel, a shame these it had to get shot and yanked ashore lifeless. I know for a fact those gar are not a tricky target. 99% of the time gar arent even moving when they are shot, and even when they are moving they sluggishly cruise just beneath the surface. Rod and reel would be an impressive way to land that. regardless nice fish.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:08 PM »
nonsense, Minnesota would be fine if they had gator gar, minnesota is loaded with longnose and shortnosed gar and you seem to be doing just fine. gator gar are al over texas and the fishing doesnt seem to be affected.

any gator gar over 300 pounds would be record breaking for rod and reel, a shame these it had to get shot and yanked ashore lifeless. I know for a fact those gar are not a tricky target. 99% of the time gar arent even moving when they are shot, and even when they are moving they sluggishly cruise just beneath the surface. Rod and reel would be an impressive way to land that. regardless nice fish.

~Neal
Sure glad we don't have  them in Michigan.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2007, 06:59 AM »

~Neal
Non-sense? I would ask first how well you understand the predator/prey balance in Minnesota? The other Gars you refer to are relatively tiny cousins, and may require 30-40 individuals to equal one Gator Gar. The other Gars are generally not capable of devouring large Pike, Muskie and Walleye, the breeders of the population. This 300 pounder would require serious nutrition to maintain that weight, and would likely become the dominate predator in the system, completely changing the ecology of the water systems it might inhabit.
A warm water, year round system in Texas is completely different than a iced-over, sensitive system in Minnesota.
The attitude of "non-sense, Minnesota would be fine" does not sound scientific, proffessional or based on any kind of sound facts. Imagine that species of Gar foraging on Perch, Pike and Walleye and some Muskie? And how many of these species exist in the same waters in Texas as the Gator Gar? Maybe the Gator Gar is one of the reasons these waters lack any substantial population of edible game fish mentioned prior.
You say the fishing has not been effected in Texas? How would it be without Gator Gar? When were they introduced, or have they always been there? Any studies on the impact of the Giant Gator being introduced into waters previously un-inhabited by Gator Gars? Lots of questions to answer before jumping to conclusions. If a tiny mussel, Ruffe or piece of weed can devastate or completely change an eco-system, then don't be surprised if the 300 pound Gator Gar could also have a negative effect.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Non-sense? I would ask first how well you understand the predator/prey balance in Minnesota? The other Gars you refer to are relatively tiny cousins, and may require 30-40 individuals to equal one Gator Gar. The other Gars are generally not capable of devouring large Pike, Muskie and Walleye, the breeders of the population. This 300 pounder would require serious nutrition to maintain that weight, and would likely become the dominate predator in the system, completely changing the ecology of the water systems it might inhabit.
A warm water, year round system in Texas is completely different than a iced-over, sensitive system in Minnesota.
The attitude of "non-sense, Minnesota would be fine" does not sound scientific, proffessional or based on any kind of sound facts. Imagine that species of Gar foraging on Perch, Pike and Walleye and some Muskie? And how many of these species exist in the same waters in Texas as the Gator Gar? Maybe the Gator Gar is one of the reasons these waters lack any substantial population of edible game fish mentioned prior.
You say the fishing has not been effected in Texas? How would it be without Gator Gar? When were they introduced, or have they always been there? Any studies on the impact of the Giant Gator being introduced into waters previously un-inhabited by Gator Gars? Lots of questions to answer before jumping to conclusions. If a tiny mussel, Ruffe or piece of weed can devastate or completely change an eco-system, then don't be surprised if the 300 pound Gator Gar could also have a negative effect.

I wonder if they could be trained to eat Golbys,and Zebra mussels,and other crap that comes in with the shipping.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Would be nice eh? ;)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2007, 09:25 PM »
  I wonder if they could be trained to eat Golbys,and Zebra mussels,and other crap that comes in with the shipping.

You think they could be trained to eat all the rock bass? :D

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2007, 01:31 PM »
You think they could be trained to eat all the rock bass? :D
You come up with some good ones Skiper.  Good fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.