Author Topic: "Stuff" is put away for another season..  (Read 1420 times)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
"Stuff" is put away for another season..
« on: Mar 28, 2007, 07:56 PM »
 Today with the temperatures in the high 60's here in western Pa. and the daffodils in full bloom I finally gave in to the fact that ice fishing is done for another season.
 Having come to that conclusion I packed up my stuff and put it up in the rafters of the garage.
 While doing this I experienced both good and bad feelings.Bad feelings because our season was really short because of lack of ice and with thoughts that this might have been the last season that I will be able to do something that has brought so much pleasure to my life.
 I'm going on 71 this summer and my arthritis,I'm told that it is a product of all of those years of working at my trade as a construction electrician,has been really paining me lately. After the few times that we got to fish this winter I found that it would take several days for me to recuperate from the effects of being out in the cold and that took away from the fun.
 The good part was that I got to try out my new shed that I built and for the most part I am satisfied with the results except it could be a little more roomy.
 The other pleasure that I got was using my new Nills 6" hand auger. After hauling my power auger all over the lakes for years it was a real pleasure to use this new tool and I am impressed with how it cuts. If I was starting over again this would be one of the first tools that I would purchase.
 The other pleasure that I have had was to be able to get on the computer at all times of the day and night (sometimes in the wee hours of the morning ) and get on I/S and see what was going on in the world of ice fishing.
 I would like to thank all of you guys and the moderators of this site for the good info and fellowship that I found here.This place is another of the "tools" that I would definitely want as a beginner or for any other level that one might be at. Even at 70 I found that you are never to old to learn..
 If the good Lord is willin I hope to be back at it again next year..
Good fishin..
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "Stuff" is put away for another season..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2007, 01:20 AM »
I also packed my gear up.  Here in central Wisconsin, we have open water on the lakes I fish.  I enjoyed my second season with my hardside shack.  This summer I will be making it more "roomy".
I hope you're able to make it out next "ice" season.  I'd say, hope to see you out, but my eye sight isn't what it used to be, so I doubt I'll be seeing you from Wisconsin.  :P
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2007, 02:50 AM »
My stuff is put away as well here in North Dakota. Glad to hear that your still hittin the ice at 70, but you scared me now, I'm going to school to be an electrician, will be graduating in May. What type of electrical work did you do? I would like to stay with more residential stuff, but maybe I should just go into electronics! I don't want to up my chances of arthritis!! Just kidding! I love electrical work. Good to meet another electrician on IS!!!

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:33 AM »
Winchester,

I'm confident you'll be walking on and drilling through safe ice again before we know it!!

I've, unfortunately, packed my stuff away for the summer as well.  Very hard time of the year for me.  Sounds stupid but this ice fishing sport is so hard to explain.....

Anyhow, tight lines and God bless!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2007, 06:11 AM »
I too am done for the season, but all my crap is still in the garage...much to my wife's chagrin.  I'll be tucking it away this weekend I'm sure.

Offline Rockman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Winchester 88,

No! don't give up!  Melonchonly and quitting are different.  I have sent you a "private message".   I hope you read it and respond to my invitation.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Winchester 88, The last couple of years I've met a guy on the ice that was 80!  He said the same thing when he was 81. And I just fished with him again this past season so that makes him.... you do the math! One thing we all have in common, each day we get a day older. We just have to learn to adapt to the minor inconveniences aging brings with it. Like arthritis, bad eye sight, hearing loss,frequent urination, memory loss. Gees now I'm depressed!! Oh, and how could I forget the most dreaded one, E.D.!! Hope to see you on the ice next year. By the way, noticed you live in Beaver, Pa. I was born and raised in Conway!    Indiana Lou

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2007, 01:06 PM »
you poor *****s!!!!! ;)
we're looking at 2-4 more weeks of ice fishing in northern alberta!!!! weather permitting of course...
april tends to be the best month of the season too!!!!
guess there's an upside to having snow 7 months a year!!!
anyhoo... don't mean to rub it in... hope you all had a safe and successful season!!!
i'll post results on mondays!!!
cheers and see y'all on "myfishfinder"!!!,  gw
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2007, 03:09 PM »
Everything has been packed away here as well. Ice auger cleaned and drained, Boots, Gear, all packed up. Just uncovered my boat and got it ready for open water. It over-wintered great, not a drop of water on the inside and it fired right up. The boat is 18 years old and still looks brand new. Hopefully the year will go on safely and quickly for everyone. I know i have a full plate these coming months. (House shopping, Marriage, all the fun stuff right?) Anyways, Sleep soundly and dream of hard ice!! GD

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I  too have finally bit the bullet and packed my gear away for the season.  As i am the utmost procastinator it has taken me a few weeks to get around to it,  but my wife got a wiff of the half dozen dead smelt that got lost in the bottom of the Voyager sled and chewed my ass for how badly I mistreat my nice sled she bought me just two years ago.  Glad to say that it has gotten a thorough disassembly and a good cleaning out and reorganized and packed away in the best manner possible.  Now there will be very little to do before next season except wait for Hard Water.  There are some reels in need of new string so at least I will have something to do in the months when I am anxiously waiting for the water to get hard.   But what will probly happen is We'll get ice and Ill pick up some new string and do it out on the ice while everyone else is into the fish  LOL.   well good luck to you all who still have ice, be safe and hope everyone gets their gear stored away in the best manner possible and dont go to crazy waiting for cold temps and hard water

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I'll be putting away my stuff Sat., then brook fishing Sunday.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Went out yesterday, had a great day so am going to end the season on a good note.  Tomorrow the icefishing stuff gets cleaned and packed away til next year.  (lets hope for early ice next year)  Saturday is time to work on the boat and get her ready for open water.  Sunday I'll be out bright and early in search of Brookies and Salmon. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.