Author Topic: Anyone know what those black spec's are?  (Read 838 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone know what those black spec's are?
« on: Mar 14, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Hey guys....looking for a little advice, I've noticed when catching some species of panfish...most notibly bluegills and some yellow perch...that there are black specs that can be seen on the outside skin and also in the meat when filleting?  Does anyone actually know what those are  ??? and if they are still ok to eat?  I filleted some nice crappies I caught in the same body of water last night and the fillets were perfect.  Almost all the bluegills had the specs in the meat and it just made me curious as to why they had them yet the crappie didn't?  Thanks.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone know what those black spec's are?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:19 AM »

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Whitetail,my main lake the gills and pumpkin seeds have them ,the crappie are always clean.I sure the gills feed more off the bottom an that's how they get the parasite.They are harmless.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:15 PM »
Quack/Captain,
               thanks for your posts.  You know I've always seen the fish with the spots and wondered if you could consume them.  It helps to know that they are harmless.  Thanks for your help guys!!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.