Author Topic: Rigs w/o Jigs  (Read 2056 times)

Panfish2

Rigs w/o Jigs
« on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:33 PM »
I was gill & perch fishin' the other day, and the danged cold front had em' all screwed up. Fished about 3 hours for just a few bites, when the light finally came on in this thick head of mine.

I was anchored in a protected cove as the wind was out of the NW at 10 to 15, and gusting to 20. I was using a 1/32 oz jig tipped with a waxie, and that almost always works. But not on this day.

Yes, it's relative to ice fishing, so just hold on. Anyway, I finally remembered my golden rule for tough fishing, and when I changed over, I started catching those bluegills like gangbusters.

So what did I do? Got rid of the jig, is what. Tied on a #10 thin wire Aberdeen hook on the 2 lb. test line, and put a 1/32 oz. bull-shot about 10 inches up. Put two waxies on the hook & dropped er' down to 15 feet, and that unlocked the jaws of those gills like you wouldn't believe.

Why the double waxie? To cover the hook. And I had no swallowed hooks, that's how finicky they were.

Now why wouldn't that work for ice fishing on those tough days? I think it will! What think you?  

mngonefishing

Re:Rigs w/o Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:52 PM »
when in doubt go with more flash, or smaller. :'(

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Rigs w/o Jigs
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:18 AM »
Something that really worked when they wouldnt hit small jigs through ice, is pounding a spoon type bait like swedish pimple or Nils Hali spoon, tipped with a piece of minnow or other bait. Sometimes fishing more agressive instead of finesse also works.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.