Author Topic: Malin Boa No Kink Leader  (Read 2025 times)

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
Malin Boa No Kink Leader
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:45 AM »
Tried this on another board with no response. Seems like everyone hangs out here so I thought I'd give it another shot.

Anyone use the Boa No Kink by Malin? I just got mine in the mail and I was wondering if anyone had any tips, Best way to cut, Knots, Etc.....Any info would be appreciated. Not that I expect to have the opportunity to USE it any time soon with this rotten weather.

Trying the 10lb. coil and then 30lb. I was REALLY surprised at how THIN this stuff is.

Thanks......Jim
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Malin Boa No Kink Leader
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to use it several times before commenting on it.  I used it this year on a couple tip-ups and found I caught just as many fish(if not more) as my other tip-ups with 8 lb. fluoro leader.  It worked great, and gave me confidence when fishing for toothy critters. I landed a few pike, a few chain pickeral, a nice chunky walleye, several bass, and perch with it.  I think I have 4 of 6 tip-ups with this as the leader now. I use about 3' for the leader and use the 20 lb test. The 20 pound test is only .008 inches thick, which is about the same as 4 to 6 pound test.  It is expensive at around $20 for 30 feet, but I figure I'll get 10 leaders that will last me a very long time. I have to thank IceTroll for turning me on to this product.
Ken                                          

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:26 PM »

I tested the product a few years back. It is very thin and it actually stretches and will recoil. The only flaw I found with it was at the knot. Just as mono is weakest at the knot I found this leader to be weak at the knot as well. Other than that I had good results.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2007, 02:11 PM »
After seeing how well it performed for Bean this winter I just got some myself. I do some pike fishing across the border and am going to make some short leaders for that to try. I just hate when the regular steel leaders get all kinked up and tristed after a few fish. I'm not sure how its going to work but it's worth a shot.
      Jim

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Talk to IceTroll he uses it a lot for big pike and walleye.  The stuff is definitely cool though.  I am going to try it out next year.  I do know that they usually cinch down the knots with pliers to get them to stay.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:09 PM »
I'm planning on using the stuff next season, but plan on crimping the connections rather than tie a know in the material.......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Just follow the instructions on the the package for tying the knots (I use the clinch knot)- very easy to work with once you get the hang of it, all you need are two pair of pliars to tighten the knot and wire cutters.  Esox slayer- I don't think you will get a better connection with crimps and it will be bigger than the knots I think ???  Haven't tried that way yet.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Just follow the instructions on the the package for tying the knots (I use the clinch knot)- very easy to work with once you get the hang of it, all you need are two pair of pliars to tighten the knot and wire cutters.  Esox slayer- I don't think you will get a better connection with crimps and it will be bigger than the knots I think ???  Haven't tried that way yet.

Thanks for the info.  I'll try using the knot method first and see if I like it.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I've been using this all season now, and I love the stuff. No kinks and twists like standard steel. I found the 10 lb. to be a little to light, and it is subject to breaking, but the 20 lb. is definetly great stuff. I'm going to order some 30 to give it a shot next season.

Hope everyone enjoyed the short season. Let's hope we get some earlier ice next year. Thanks for the reply's guys. See ya next year!

Jim
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2007, 08:23 PM »
I can't speak to this material, but I know of folks using heavier fluorocarbon for leaders...they'll use a drop of Krazy Glue on the knot to keep it from slipping.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2007, 08:57 PM »
haven't used the malin but am using the
terminator ti leader in 20#
really like the stuff
thin-no memory- strong :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.