Author Topic: Tunsten jig takes out 2 teeth - Tungsten proven dangerous  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
He got a bite while his line was over a log. He set the hook, and the flipping bait and hook and tungsten weight loaded up and "sling-shotted" like a bullet back into his mouth. He pulled his hand away from his mouth and it was blood and teeth fragments.

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/angler-receives-gruesome-injury-while-fishing/

Next obvious steps are to campaign to outlaw Tungsten...

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Tunsten jig takes out 2 teeth - Tungsten shown dangerous
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:49 PM »
I've had some lures come flyin' back at me from time to time. Great reason to wear good sunglasses and a cap with a bill.

Once, on a cast I clocked my BIL in the back of the head with a 1 1/2 ounce leadhead. I was really gonna crank it too. Took the hat off his head and left a nice goose egg. My only regret is I didn't hit him harder...  >:D :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tunsten jig takes out 2 teeth - Tungsten proven dangerous
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:52 PM »
I suppose we could make the case that, at least as far as Tungsten goes, Ice Fishing is a much safer sport than open water. The jig can only go straight up when there is any ice at all. Sight fishing would be the weak point... ;D

Also, wonder if insurance would cover the dental bills?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Dang!  Gotta hurt
Ask Slayerfish about perch fishing in 18” of water...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I love the part where he kept on fishing. 

That was the best part.
Either dedicated or a bit tipsy... ::) ::) ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Well...I don't call them brass bullet sinkers for nothing...let alone the tungsten sinker.

That reminds me...I was suppose to go to the fishing store for some tungsten sinkers...forgot and came back with something else...did that like the last ten times.  ;D  I guess I must not need them tungsten sinkers.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Not a fishing accident but foreign doctor intern. When I was a senior in high school used to squirrel hunt while in season. Hardly ever missed a day. Anyway while hunting near a local creek/river area. I was shot in chest by a .22 never seen who. I suspect it was a ricochet as it felt more like a bee sting. It didn't go in very deep and I could see bullet beneath my skin. Missed the nipple of my left breast by a 1/4 inch. Believe me its a tender area when shot.

I have to walk about two miles home. Although bleeding like a stuck pig at first it quit on its own. Called my dad in my bedroom showed him the wound. My mom immediately wanted to know what's going on. Dad tells her not to look. She does anyway and faints to the floor. Revive mom and off the 3 of us to the emergency room.

Get to the emergency desk , half bored nurse asks me my problem, I mention I have been shot. Next thing I know she calls everyone but Lyndon Johnson then president of the United States. Two sets of police detectives
grill me while waiting for treatment. Finally convince them it was a hunting accident and I am not a victim of gang violence or a botched mafia hit. Imagine four Barney Fifes and twice as dedicated into constructing a mountain out of an ant hill.

By the time they sequester in a treatment room. I think the worst is over. That is when Doctor " I almost understand english " enters my haven. His language not mine " you shottas with many bullet of justed one bullet ". I tell him just one bullet. He launches into really bad broken english explaining the difference between shotgun and rifle. Finally in desperation I show him the actual wound. The bullet is very easy to see. Great now he understands.

Unfortunately he wants to know if it hurts. I guess he didn't want to take my word for it. He begins to press on my wound. I yelp in pain but it does not stop him. I ask very nicely thru clenched teeth to quit. This just eggs him on. I am in so much pain that in desperation . I grab his testicles and squeeze as hard as I can. He falls to the floor in a fetal position and starts to scream. I ask him did that hurt. He crawls out the door and nurse helps him to his feet. He is not speaking english now but I think Hindu.

Back into my room comes one of the Barney Fife's and my dad. They want to know what I did. I tell them what the sadist did and what I did. Cop thinks I am a juvenile thug my dad has tears in his eyes from laughing. About that time our family doctor appears and fixes me in 5 minutes. Right before he pulls the bullet out he kids with the nurse grab his hands and don't let go. Till he retired our Doc loved to tease me about it.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:37 PM »
I've ducked dozens of pieces of lead flying back at me that would've blinded me or kicked out teeth 🤦‍♂️

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:46 PM »
No fisherman will ever admit to a sinker/lure thumping against a log as just a thump.  It has to be a bite!  If it was a bite, why would the weight come flying right at ya?

There is a reason why I never hook set direct in line with myself.  Always at a slight angle away.  Learn that from bobber fishing.   ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I've ducked dozens of pieces of lead flying back at me that would've blinded me or kicked out teeth 🤦‍♂️

Fishing - either the quick or the dead.
Veritas Odium Parit

Mizayikaa

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Same here. My first thought on this was "lucky it wasn't lead". Also, I think our reaction times may be a little more sober.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:39 PM »
A mans got to know his limitations.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:47 PM »
Its a part of fishing.i dropped my brother in law to the ground with a 1 ounce sinker that i got snagged up while sucker fishing.he learned theres nothing to gain at looking at a snagged line.turn yer head and pull.always dodging lead out fishing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I have more trouble with hooks than sinkers...

This was #2 of 7 episodes of hook meets flesh. Some of the stories are actually fairly amusing  ;D

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:56 PM »
A mans got to know his limitations.
Love that movie!!

On another note, we should be quiet about this so the malcontent busybodies squirreled away in the bureaucracies don’t try to “legislate” a “fix” to keep us poor dumb flyover country folk safe from such costly maladies.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Eh- Ive pulled prolly 10 trebles outta my hand, arm. Just grab pliers and pull. Faster the better. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Eh- Ive pulled prolly 10 trebles outta my hand, arm. Just grab pliers and pull. Faster the better. ;D
Hard charger you are! Is that before or after the whiskey?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:03 PM »

How do you think they got there?   ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:04 PM »

Nope. Right after it happens usually within seconds. Unless the fish is still hooked to the treble also. Then it takes a little longer. :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:09 PM »
We should keep this quiet or they will outlaw hooks and take them away.

Hooks don’t catch people, careless people do.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Nope. Right after it happens usually within seconds. Unless the fish is still hooked to the treble also. Then it takes a little longer. :P
Hardcore man, F$&@#%* hardcore! 😬

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:11 PM »
We should keep this quiet or they will outlaw hooks and take them away.

Hooks don’t catch people, careless people do.
Rofl 🤣. We chuckle at this but you know some schmuck is taking our tax dollars right now and trying to figure out just exactly how to do just that!!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Check out story #2. Brutal!

https://targetwalleye.com/worst-fishing-nightmare-slabs-of-the-week-panfish-locations-now/

That looks grim. I wear glasses just to see, but they have been very "useful" several times in my life. That would have been one of them.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:45 PM »
I love the part where he kept on fishing.  I put a #6 gold long shank hook in the bottom of my big toe one time.  It went right to the bone.  My dad kept telling me to put some shoes on so I didn't step on a hook as I always liked to fish bare foot.  On this particular occasion I wish I would have listened.  After it happened he said let reel in and get out of here.  Being a tough guy I said, no lets keep fishing.  So, I cut the line off it and continued to fish.  I fished about another 40 min., until my toe was throbbing so bad I couldn't take it anymore.  Then we had a twenty minute boat ride, another ten loading it onto the trailer then back to camp.  I had another 45 minutes of driving to the hospital.  Once at the hospital, I had a Dr. from the Middle East and she grabbed the hook with forceps and was going to just pull it out.  I screamed "NO", she didn't know it had a barb, so I had to draw her a picture.  Like, I wouldn't have pulled the dam thing out a lot earlier, if I could!  I sure wish I had listened to him "twice" that day.  First by wearing shoes, second by leaving right away!   But, you know, I still like fishing barefoot!!!  Just hard headed I guess.

Literally LOL- that is awesome and completely befitting a die hard outdoorsman
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Not a fishing accident but foreign doctor intern. When I was a senior in high school used to squirrel hunt while in season. Hardly ever missed a day. Anyway while hunting near a local creek/river area. I was shot in chest by a .22 never seen who. I suspect it was a ricochet as it felt more like a bee sting. It didn't go in very deep and I could see bullet beneath my skin. Missed the nipple of my left breast by a 1/4 inch. Believe me its a tender area when shot.

I have to walk about two miles home. Although bleeding like a stuck pig at first it quit on its own. Called my dad in my bedroom showed him the wound. My mom immediately wanted to know what's going on. Dad tells her not to look. She does anyway and faints to the floor. Revive mom and off the 3 of us to the emergency room.

Get to the emergency desk , half bored nurse asks me my problem, I mention I have been shot. Next thing I know she calls everyone but Lyndon Johnson then president of the United States. Two sets of police detectives
grill me while waiting for treatment. Finally convince them it was a hunting accident and I am not a victim of gang violence or a botched mafia hit. Imagine four Barney Fifes and twice as dedicated into constructing a mountain out of an ant hill.

By the time they sequester in a treatment room. I think the worst is over. That is when Doctor " I almost understand english " enters my haven. His language not mine " you shottas with many bullet of justed one bullet ". I tell him just one bullet. He launches into really bad broken english explaining the difference between shotgun and rifle. Finally in desperation I show him the actual wound. The bullet is very easy to see. Great now he understands.

Unfortunately he wants to know if it hurts. I guess he didn't want to take my word for it. He begins to press on my wound. I yelp in pain but it does not stop him. I ask very nicely thru clenched teeth to quit. This just eggs him on. I am in so much pain that in desperation . I grab his testicles and squeeze as hard as I can. He falls to the floor in a fetal position and starts to scream. I ask him did that hurt. He crawls out the door and nurse helps him to his feet. He is not speaking english now but I think Hindu.

Back into my room comes one of the Barney Fife's and my dad. They want to know what I did. I tell them what the sadist did and what I did. Cop thinks I am a juvenile thug my dad has tears in his eyes from laughing. About that time our family doctor appears and fixes me in 5 minutes. Right before he pulls the bullet out he kids with the nurse grab his hands and don't let go. Till he retired our Doc loved to tease me about it.

Even better!!
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Now y'all just reminded me...

At least there's no black/yellow bullheads being whipped out of the water flying straight at ya...getting stung by one of them barbs is oweeee!

Even the small channel cats.  I got that stupid pectoral barb stuck in my palm.  When they're small and the barbs are sharp and the bone has them smaller serrated barbs on the under inside.  Well when stuck they act just like barbed fish hook in a way, makes it harder to pull out.  And yeah, flopping catfish don't help either.

Yeah, I stayed and fish all night long...with the searing pain from that.  Makes every other catfish rod fight a whole lot harder afterwards.  No I did not clean fish afterwards that day, or the week.  I can't remember.  Yeah no more whipping the fish out of the water...especially small ones with barbs.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:16 PM »
wait till you got to yank one out of a tree branch it's like a wrist rocket just fired at you

Offline Icedmike27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Geez ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.