Author Topic: Tunin' a Jiffy....  (Read 2789 times)

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tunin' a Jiffy....
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:09 PM »
So i've got a 3 year old Jiffy model 30 like this

I cannot keep that dang thing runnin'.  When i first get out there, i flip the choke, prime it a good 5-6 times and it fires on the first or second pull.  But it seems like it's not getting gas after it burns off what i primed.  I can be on the throttle wide open and it won't stay running all the time.  It keeps wanted to die out regardless what i do with the throttle.  But if it's starting to die out and i hit the primer bulb once or twice she'll run for a little more till it burns that off.

So I don't think i need to adjust my idle position...what else do i adjust?

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tunin' a Jiffy....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:36 PM »
fresh gas and a healthy dose of seafoam.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:36 PM »
sounds like the carb needs  cleaned out bad,  its not hard to do.   sounds like its gummed up or  the fuel line may be pinched or plugged some. and make sure the cap air intake is clean too. . you can also take the fuel line off and  blow through it and see if the tank/filter is not plugged up..  put  1 oz of gas/mix  and 1 oz of seafoam in it and get her to run as much as you can and let that stuff sit and see if that helps.  if that dont  then i would suggest getting a carb kit and  rebuild it. u can get most parts online or napa.   its easy to do
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Had the same issue with my lawn mower this past season- turned out to be the gasket around the air intake/ primer intake- went bad. switched it out and all is good.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:43 PM »
You opened the gas vent, yes? Sounds simple but I seem to forget it once a year at least.

Offline Brookie8myb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Solution to a Jiffy that won't run:
1.  Find the person you hate most in the world, give them your Jiffy
2.  Run down to store and purchase a Strikemaster
3.  Smiles from then on

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:51 PM »
My Mod 30 has always run easily must be over 25 years. Guessing you still have a while to wait and see if that Strikemaster is as reliable. Model 30s are heavy, stink like gas and aren't the fastest cutting. But when given basic service, they last forever. Only thing we've done to ours is new plugs every few years and a new pull handle I think it still has the original rope. Some carb tuning every few years too.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Is your mix right?......+2 NEW PLUG! Clean carb, not just spray it.Take carb completely off and disassemble, amazing what you'll find.  I use high octane,it runs great and stores for a longer time,starts easy.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:06 PM »
I was having a similar issue and went to Jiffy and spoke to one of the techs. He told me to make sure the carb was tightened down - simple as that. He said sometimes it will loosen up with a lot of use and just tighten it up and it should solve the issue. Sure enough, went home and did as he said and it worked fine. Now every year when I am getting it ready I make sure all screws are snug and haven't had the issue since.

Offline bigtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Often the diaphragm in the carb becomes dried out and stiff. making the carb unable to feed the engine gas. carb kit is cheap and easy to install. also the main jet needs to be adjusted just right. keep a screwdriver with you at all times as this needs tuning depending on the day of the week. haha

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:36 PM »
fresh gas and a healthy dose of seafoam.

x2

use the highest octane ethanol-free gas you can get. And when summerizing use sta-bil, the seafoam helps but it don't stabilize as well as sta-bil.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Sounds like time tp pull carb and clean and new kit in it
Just enjoying life

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Has it ever run right for you, or has it been like this since you got it.  If it's run right before, then fresh gas, new plug and clean carb should be all you need.  If it's never run right chances are the carb is not set right for your altitude and temp, see my post above on how to set the carb.  The newer Jiffy's with the Tecumseh engines are set VERY lean to try to meet emissions standards, so they run like you are describing in colder places and/or higher altitudes.   Most need the carb adjusted right out of the box to get them running properly. 

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:14 AM »
This auger has never run right and has done this from day 1 out of the box.  Everyone always just says she's cold blooded.  But it never gets better wether on run 2 holes or 20 holes.  I shouldn't have to stay on the gas all the time either while walking between holes (although it typically dies out during or between holes).

She fires up good, but beyond that it's a PITA

I will check out the tuning section.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:31 AM »
My jiffy model 30 is about 20 years old, I have never cleaned the carb. This year so far it starts ok and does the job, but when I hit the bottom of the hole just as it is trying to break through to the water, it stalls/ hangs up. The engine stays running it just seems like it doesn't have the power to break through like it used to. It is lacking full throttle torque/power. If I wanted to get a carb kit is there a number or something on the carb or do I just say it is for a 20 years old jiffy model 30? I'm sure after 20 years the carb could use a good cleaning.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:11 AM »
My jiffy model 30 is about 20 years old, I have never cleaned the carb. This year so far it starts ok and does the job, but when I hit the bottom of the hole just as it is trying to break through to the water, it stalls/ hangs up. The engine stays running it just seems like it doesn't have the power to break through like it used to. It is lacking full throttle torque/power. If I wanted to get a carb kit is there a number or something on the carb or do I just say it is for a 20 years old jiffy model 30? I'm sure after 20 years the carb could use a good cleaning.

I had the exact same thing happen to me first trip out this winter. The first 6 holes I punched the auger would hung up just as it was about to break through. I was thinking, oh no, not now, at the start of the season. Lets see fresh gas, checked the plug, started and ran it regularly off season, ooh what else, clutch slipping, softer/stickier ice at the bottom, what could be going on here, dang. Then the light came on, duh, user error, I was pushing down on the auger as it cut and as it entered softer ice at the bottom of the hole it stuck. After I stopped pressing down it punched holes like I remember it doing for the rest of the day. This may not be your problem, but I had to laugh at myself when I realized that I was the cause of the problem.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:21 AM »
This auger has never run right and has done this from day 1 out of the box.  Everyone always just says she's cold blooded.  But it never gets better wether on run 2 holes or 20 holes.  I shouldn't have to stay on the gas all the time either while walking between holes (although it typically dies out during or between holes).

She fires up good, but beyond that it's a PITA

I will check out the tuning section.

I hear ya, my Dad has  the same auger as you that is about 10 years old, and it does EXACTLY what you describe (always has).  I keep telling him that I can fix it for him, but he won't let me touch it, he just keeps hitting the primer when it starts to die and keeps going.  I sold my old model 30 one armed bandit to buy an Eskimo Stingray, and I couldn't be happier.  The Eskimo starts first or second pull ALWAYS, is way lighter, and I can lay it down while running, walk away, and come back five minutes later, and it's still purring away.  The older Jiffy's with the tecumseh engines are alright once adjusted properly, but I'd never get rid of my Eskimo with the Viper engine for one.

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:31 AM »
just follow the tuning instructions posted earlier in this thread, takes about 10 minutes and you'll have her drilling like a champ. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:45 AM »
I had the exact same thing happen to me first trip out this winter. The first 6 holes I punched the auger would hung up just as it was about to break through. I was thinking, oh no, not now, at the start of the season. Lets see fresh gas, checked the plug, started and ran it regularly off season, ooh what else, clutch slipping, softer/stickier ice at the bottom, what could be going on here, dang. Then the light came on, duh, user error, I was pushing down on the auger as it cut and as it entered softer ice at the bottom of the hole it stuck. After I stopped pressing down it punched holes like I remember it doing for the rest of the day. This may not be your problem, but I had to laugh at myself when I realized that I was the cause of the problem.

I wasn't pushing down on it, the old jiffy is heavy enough by itself. With a 3 hp motor back when it was running good nothing would stop it, it had lots of power, it would blast through and send water flying if you didn't let up on the throttle.

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I agree with  ( bigtrout ) time to change the diaphram.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Make sure the gas is fresh in it, I know the one I use is very picky with the gas. If it's not fresh it won't run worth a crap. If the gas is fresh, fuel tank vent is ok and the plug is new, then give the carb a good cleaning as stated above.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:11 PM »
It sounds like my low speed is to lean from what im reading, so hopefully tuning that will change things.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Hey Willie, ever get this thing tuned up??

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:35 PM »
had the exact thing happen to me a few years back...was a bad carb diaphragm. Replaced it and re-set the jets-good to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.