IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Eskimo outhbreak 450 vs Otter Vortex Pro Lodge

(1/4) > >>

IceAddict87:
Trying to decide between the Eskimo Outbreak 450xd and the otter vortex pro lodge. Anyone have any personal experience? Iíve had both Eskimo and Otter hubs in the past. Looking to get a full door hub and I really like the size of these two. My biggest gripe about the Eskimo is the size of the carry bags and the only downside Iíve heard about otter is the zippers. Anybody have an opinion? They are basically the same.

brown-time:
I bought the Eskimo 450 for my grandkids to fish with my wife and we love it. No issues so far and pulling the small sleds in the door for seats is a big win. Roomier than my previous Fatfish.

Letís me run n gun and come back to warm up and tease the kiddos, Granny!

porkpiehat:
I like my eskimo. It's not a small thing to carry. No complaints after one season.

Nitz:

--- Quote from: IceAddict87 on Dec 06, 2023, 10:07 PM ---Trying to decide between the Eskimo Outbreak 450xd and the otter vortex pro lodge. Anyone have any personal experience? Iíve had both Eskimo and Otter hubs in the past. Looking to get a full door hub and I really like the size of these two. My biggest gripe about the Eskimo is the size of the carry bags and the only downside Iíve heard about otter is the zippers. Anybody have an opinion? They are basically the same.

--- End quote ---

Both of these hubs are decent choices.  I have logged many hours on the ice in each of these units.  I cannot be sure what you mean by "...in the past.", but be advised both the Outbreak XD series and Vortex Pro series are significantly improved from previous offerings from several years ago of these two brands.

IMO the Eskimo Outbreak XD series are the best hubs on the market. I own an OUTBREAK 450XD and an OUTBREAK 250XD [both purchased in DEC 2021]. The "no trip" door was a game-changer. The overall build quality is great and the StormShieldô fabric performs well.  I am hoping to upgrade to a 650XD next season.

One of the regulars in my ice fishing group bought a new Otter Vortex Pro Lodge last season. It is nice, but I would rank it behind my 450 XD in terms of workmanship and material quality. Not sure which is the 3rd best hub series out there (after Eskimo Outbreak XD and Otter Vortex Pro), but IMO it is a very distant 3rd.

I hear/see many complaints about the Outbreak XD bags and I do not quite understand the frustration.  It works ok for me; I often wonder if some folks are trying to manhandle more shanty than they should.  Regarding the Otter zipper issues, I have experienced this in other's Otter sled shelters but not yet seen it in their Vortex Pro hubs.  The "extra" tie-down straps on the Vortex Pro hubs is a nice idea, but I have not yet seen it actually put in use by anyone.

Be sure to pay attention to the collapsed size and weight specs of these units as you shop. These are not small or light shelters - be sure you can handle loading, unloading, transporting to & from the lake, as well as traveling over the ice.  Best of luck.

HWeber:
The carry bag is a non issue. Upgrade the crappy strap they give you if you're having issues getting it in the bag. Pull the strap tight, pull the bag halfway on, flip it over and it slides right in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version