Author Topic: Walleye jigging  (Read 3638 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Walleye jigging
« on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:25 AM »
I was out a couple days ago and I was jigging for walleye with a rapala and then a buckshot glow jig. My question is, do you guys/gals suggest using a whole minnow on it, or just the head or tail? Or do you prefer something else? I figured that the extra movement of the minnow helps in between jigging. My two other buddies were strictly using minnows on hooks.

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Walleye jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:44 AM »
When I am jigging for eyes with spoons I generally only use half of the minnow or a really small one. I find that with a minnow cut in half it puts out more scent plus there is less movement on the hook which keeps it from getting tangled. I actually prefer top jig with 1/4 ounce fireball jigs with a whole minnow (jig put in mouth and out middle of back). I will usaully catch 3-1 jigs over spoons. You might think 1/4 ounce is too heavy but the lake that I fish they bite very lite so I need the extra weight of the jig with very subtle jigging action to feel the the strikes the line usually just goes slack or there is added weight. I must also add there are some huge eyes in this lake. The biggest I have gotten so far is 12.3 but I have seen a 15 and a 19 come out. I am positive the next world record will come from here. sry for the long post hope this method works for you!
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:46 PM »
The best thing is the jigging rap with just a small head on the treble.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:04 AM »
On a t.v. show this past weekend, they said to tip EVERY hook on the jigging Rapala with a minnow. I counted four, one front, one back and two center. Thre may have been a third on the center treble but I couldn't see it.
Pete Lewis

acsacmboy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2004, 07:04 PM »
i read tip a spoon yet not a rapala. it was in an infisherman article. when you jig it if the treble is tiped the small fish get attracted but the big fish get distracted. so i wopuldnt on a rapala.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Walleye jigging
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:57 PM »
I really find that jigging rapalas seem to work best, given that live minnows are illegal where I fish. I actually don't tip the rapalas, as I think that unless you tip them just right with a tiny minnow head, you can interfere with the action. But sometimes a minnow head really helps for fussy fish.
I would think jigs and a small live minnow would work really well too. Just seems the jigging rapalas catch walleyes every time. On my old walleye lake, I never once went and didn't catch a walleye on one. They seem to work that good.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
Re: Walleye jigging
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2004, 11:55 PM »
for baiting them a good thing is perch eyes, or for bigger walleye you can use a pike eye, they work great, but you have to check and see if it is legal where you are!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.