Author Topic: New style inline reels  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
New style inline reels
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Has anyone used either the No. 8 Tackle CGI inline reel, http://www.fish307.com/no-8-tackle-co-cgi-cold-gear-inline-ice-reels/, or the Eagle Claw ECILIR inline reel, http://www.fish307.com/eagle-claw-inline-ice-reels/.  They look like they would work better than a traditional fly reel because you can push the button and let the line feed out on it's own like a spinning reel rather than feeding it out by hand which will let you get your jig back down the fish faster.  If it matters, I'd be using four pound line in it.  Thanks for the info.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New style inline reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015, 05:08 AM »
Only issues I've had with the eagle claw reels is the bait clicker broke on one of mine and the drag knob doesn't really have any tension when you back it off. I think someone mentioned here that it is missing a tension washer under the drag knob.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I use the eagle claws for three seasons. I really like them , some have had drag issues but i have not. Its important to set the resistance properly to the weight of your lure to prevent a bird nest much like a conventional reel. I use 4 & 6 lb mono on mine. Very happy with them .

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I used No 8 last season. One with a Jaw Jacker and one for jigging. Worked great for me. For the price they are a great reel.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:52 AM »
I use the eagle claws for three seasons. I really like them , some have had drag issues but i have not. Its important to set the resistance properly to the weight of your lure to prevent a bird nest much like a conventional reel. I use 4 & 6 lb mono on mine. Very happy with them .

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the drag to the weight of the jig to prevent a bird's nest.  Could you please explain this because I never experienced all the fun, pun intended, of a bird's nest and thought it was exclusive to a bait caster reel.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Similar to a Bait Caster ...set the free spoiling drag just enough so that it doesn't "over run" the spool ...the jig should fall at a steady rate and when it hits the bottom it should stop ...and not over run ...causing a birdsnest...after a retie of a lure be sure and check/set the free spool drag
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:13 AM »
That's was I was thinking but wasn't sure so I asked.  Thanks for the info. I'll start dropping hints so Santa will bring me one of these reels. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Got an EC reel on its way ...I am hoping it will be good for light jig/plastics in 15 FOW or less ..based on the reviews on IS went with the EC ...and with an entry level price I hope it works for me.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Why not use a baitcaster if you have 1?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:21 AM »
I don't have a bait caster reel, I was going to buy one but this looks like it would work just as good, if not better because no eye for the line to go through and worry about freezing up, and it's significantly cheaper.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Cabelas has a Mr Crappie bait caster in their ice gear line up. Not sure how they are though.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I guess I should have re-phrased the question. I have a baitcaster and was wondering if it was suitable. I need to keep the line ice free anyway just to get it thru the top eye on the rod.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2015, 01:04 PM »
I bought an EC, not sure which model, a couple years ago. I had trouble with the free spool right off the bat. I took it in, they fixed it (supposedly), after the first day it was broke again. I bought a no. 8 CGI last year and had no problems. I know several guys who have had good luck with the EC,  but have heard of a lot of problems also.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Problem with bait cast reels is the small diameter spool which creates more line coils. The inline reels have much larger diameter spools and much less line coiling issues. You want the weight of the jig to take out all the line coils.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2015, 02:58 PM »
The directions that come with it are good, there is a small knob you turn to increase or decrease free spool tension to prevent overrun or birdnests. I usally am 20 FOW or less & works great with plastics 1/64 oz up to 3/8 oz spoons etc.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2015, 03:29 PM »
  I bought the Eagle Claw last year.  I really liked it.  It can over run with the free spool, and you can adjust the tension on that.  Also as the directions say, just rest your finger on the spool as your lure is dropping and you will be able to control it over running.  I just bought the CGI by No. 8, it's pretty much the same reel.  I might pick up one more in the next week or two.

The eagle claw I bought is the one with the aluminum spool.  I wouldn't spend the extra money for it again.  Just the spool is aluminum, the housing is plastic just like the cheaper one.  The cheaper one or the CGI I would recommend. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:16 PM »

Shimano Seihakou 60 Gold Left/Right Hand Saltwater Fly Fishing Reel

Super expensive Shimano fly reel or ice fishermen calls inline reel.  They're selling it around $220 on eBay.  Releases on 2012 so its fairly recent.  3.6 gearing and weighs about 6 ounces.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Problem with bait cast reels is the small diameter spool which creates more line coils. The inline reels have much larger diameter spools and much less line coiling issues. You want the weight of the jig to take out all the line coils.

I use Shimano 50 size baitcasting reels for ice fishing and I don't have any line coil issues with lure weights of 1/32nd oz and maybe even lighter.  These are smaller spools than standard baitcasting reels.  At first I was concerned with line coils, but most lines in the ice lines of 4# test at less then .18 mm are soft enough that lines just don't remain stiff and coily.  Now going to 6# test lines and up around .25 mm or over and the cold makes them more stiff and coily.  Probably need 1/8th oz or heavier to straighten the line out.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:26 AM »
as I see it, the advantage that 'straight' reels like the in-line ones and baitcasters have over spin reels is that the line doesn't coil.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I was going to pick up an EC while I was at Cabelas this weekend. I didn't. I like to jig holding the rod in a pencil grip. Sort of palming the reel. Can't do that with the EC reel so I put it down. Looks like a nice reel though.

Offline icefishnrancher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, the only white meat!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:45 AM »
i dropped an EC on the ice last year and broke the spool, not the reels fault, be careful i guess. @)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.  I'm going get one of these and try it out. 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Plastic junk imo
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:36 AM »
The CGI8 has the palming feature works well..
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline MTredkennels97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:23 AM »
I just used the No. 8 CGI that I bought for the first time this weekend. Caught a 10 pound pike on it and it worked great. I like it. Also holds a whole 150 yard spool of 10# test nano fill line. Only in line reel I've ever owned or fished so nothing to compare it to but I like it.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:27 PM »
I bought a CGI8 last year and IMHO it is a much better reel than the Eagle Claw, which I had and sold. The 8 works fine and I've had no problems with it. Still. I am not in love with it and right now it's sitting on the shelf in the basement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.