Author Topic: What is up with all of the new rods available?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
What is up with all of the new rods available?
« on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I would like to get a custom rod sometime soon, but for now I am an "of the rack" guy. There was not alot available around here for bigger heavier action rods. I've noticed some longer rods available this season from some of the bigger ice fishing companies. We fished outside most of last season and these sure would have come in handy last year. I've noticed a few new M/H to H action rods in the catalogs in longer lengths that were not there before(prior years). St. Croix has a couple new rods in the Premier series. Clam has a few new rods in the Jason Mitchell and Dave Genz series' as well that I have been taking. There are a few others from the other rod manufacturers as well. I picked up a 30in "Bro" M/H combo last year and while it is a very decent rod, it was just a bit too short for outside fishing for me. I picked up a 44in HT Laker XL about a couple of weeks ago and seems like it will do the trick for lipless style cranks and heavier jigs and spoons outside. I guess that is my question. Why all of a sudden are there more there this year than in past years?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What is up with all of the new rods available?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I would like to get a custom rod sometime soon, but for now I am an "of the rack" guy. There was not alot available around here for bigger heavier action rods. I've noticed some longer rods available this season from some of the bigger ice fishing companies. We fished outside most of last season and these sure would have come in handy last year. I've noticed a few new M/H to H action rods in the catalogs in longer lengths that were not there before(prior years). St. Croix has a couple new rods in the Premier series. Clam has a few new rods in the Jason Mitchell and Dave Genz series' as well that I have been taking. There are a few others from the other rod manufacturers as well. I picked up a 30in "Bro" M/H combo last year and while it is a very decent rod, it was just a bit too short for outside fishing for me. I picked up a 44in HT Laker XL about a couple of weeks ago and seems like it will do the trick for lipless style cranks and heavier jigs and spoons outside. I guess that is my question. Why all of a sudden are there more there this year than in past years?
Ice fishing is the next big thing;)

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2012, 01:35 AM »
You are starting to see jigging get more popular for pike, and monster eyes, big lakers, and burbot.  I would guess that this is driving the market to longer heavier rods.  Also that is where the void in the market is.  There are many different rods available in 20 - 32 inches, and ultralite to medium action.  All the manufacturers want something new and unique to corner the market until the competition catches up.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:41 AM »
The companies want to make money so they come out with more products. Maybe they a little more money lately to put into new product vs when the recession was in full swing. I sure am not complaining about more options.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 AM »
Yeah, I honestly catch more pike while jigging than I do on tip-ups on the main lake I fish. And all of the medium rods I have seem a bit to whippy when I jig with lipless cranks. All I can say is its about time they start coming out with rods geared toward the heavier side of the spectrum. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 PM »
I just picked up a new 38" heavy from Frabil. Going to use it on the lakers.

I have one custom I use on them. It is 42" long with a perfect action. This new one is close enough for a second rod. It is a bit shorter in the blank and a bit shorter in the handle.

I agree. It is getting easier to find good options in rods lately. Used to be they were either noodles or broomsticks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.