Author Topic: For the walkers out there, how much stuff do you take out there?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
We take just the basics if we are walking out

Digital Camera
10" Jiffy Auger
Bait
2 Bait Bucket & Nets
Fish Finder
Pack Shovel
Thermos with DD Coffee
Coleman stove and griddle with food or we bring a Bag lunch
Snack Food
Bottle of Soda or Water
Jet Sled
Chairs

Pack Basket which has the following items in it
5 Heritage traps
1 Jig rod
Skimmer
License
Tape measure
Sun glasses
Hand & Foot Warmers
Compass
GPS
Binoculars
Headlamp and flashlight
Digital Camera
Spare pins for tow hitch
RULE BOOK
Spare Spark plug with tools
Hook out pliers
Small tackle box with Spare Hooks, Lures & Weights
Hand towel
Leather-men
Pocket Knife
Ball cap
Light & Heavy Knit hats
Balaclava
2 pair of Spare Gloves
Radio
First Aid Kit
Chap Stick
TP
Radio
2-way radio
Matches and a Lighter
Hand  Sanitizer
Rope
Spare Truck Key

* Clam X2

Now if we bring the wheeler or wheelers, we also bring....

Trailer to haul them on
Spare Spark plugs with tools
Tow Rope
Dog Sled, another Jet sled
* Toboggan sled
* Clam X2 or Sleeper

Now I do leave some gear in the truck

Spare socks
Fleece Blanket
Extra clothes

* Don't always take with us

JUST THE BASICS?         LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      man, if ya took anymore, you could be an on the ice sporting goods store        LOL

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
First I take safety spikes around my neck,  my sled Cabelas, in NJ we don't use Shelters for most part, 2 rods St Croix  a Marcum LX5 1 extra battery 1 Spackle bucket a rope with a piece of wood tyed  on the end  1 Eskimo seat great for sitting, Plano jig box and waxies in Strike Master puck and most important a buddy!!! I never Ice fish alone, as I fell in many years ago and almost did not make it I was in the water almost 20 minutes before I finally pulled my self out with my last bit of energy So I would recommend a Artic Armour IDI or Mustang float suit well spent money

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
I travel light, a 6 inch hand auger, a plastic sled with 2- five gallon buckets which hold my minnow bucket, 4 rods, boat cushion, rope, creepers, a bottle of booze and lunch.PS  and a scoop!

Offline JES_934

• Team IceShanty Regular

1) 1-person Clam Scout
2) 6 in. hand auger
3) 1 Mr. Buddy Heater
4) 2 poles
5) jig box
6) scoop
7) A drink of some sort
Fish On!!!!

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I feel like I must be missing something.I travel very light compared to all of the above. I don't tip up fish so that cuts down on a lot of stuff. The only thing that I take is my jet sled our a one man tent,2 our 3 poles,hand auger and small container of lures for gill and crappies.One dipper and a Marcum flasher.The way I fish I don't stay in one spot for long, always looking for the hot bite.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trekker II
Either my 6" Mora or 8" Mag 2000, depending on ice thickness and how far I'm walking
Buddy heater, with a couple extra lb'ers
Vex
2 buckets, one with a seat on it.
Usually a couple spinning rigs, and a couple schooleys
Minnow bucket (sometime)
Skimmer
Bottle of water or Thermos of coffee, and a snack or two
Couple small tackle boxes, nippers, forceps in a small fanny pack.
UFO light
In my pockets, my bait puck, mini-mag lite, cell phone, and camera

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's most of it. That's for a short half-day or after work trip by myself.

If my son goes along, and for a longer trip, we'll add the jet sled, more food and drinks, and a  20 lb'er for the heater. Plus another seat, and more poles, of course.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Well I had one sled it was full ,so I got another one and it's almost full. So take everything I need and a little more .
hook and cook

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
tackle bag, 4- heritage, 10" jiffy, bait, scoop, thermos, water, munchies, couple buckets, showdown, 2- jigging rod&reel, plastic bag - garbage and bucket liner, jet sled xl when walking.

6" or > of snow, all of the above pulled by polaris 4x4 sportsman atv.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
my sled.

the basics.

2-3 rods, and 2 rod holders.
power auger.
my new marcum vx-1.
bait in the bucket on the back of the sled.
beer.
food.
chair.

probably too much. :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
to much, gas auger, flasher, tackle bag, heater and 10lb propane bottle, 2 poles and sometimes 6 tip-ups, food, clothes and sometimes my 3 year old son. sure is a chore when the snow is on the lake. but well worth it ;D
Live Free Or Die.

Offline jig a whopper

• IceShanty Rookie
Pooley, Love the sled. Looks like it was built nice and light... I'm in the process of building one. Do you ever have issues with your sled plowing snow?

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a medium otter sled that is usually overflowing.  Gas Auger, shack, chairs, tackle bags, rod bags, bait, coat, extra gloves.  Also have a manual auger and extra clothed I usually keep in the truck.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Pooley, Love the sled. Looks like it was built nice and light... I'm in the process of building one. Do you ever have issues with your sled plowing snow?
only if it's over 18 inches of fresh powder. i think i may raise it 2 inches this year, with lighter material between the skis and sled.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
my sled.
(Image removed from quote.)
the basics.
(Image removed from quote.)
2-3 rods, and 2 rod holders.
power auger.
my new marcum vx-1.
bait in the bucket on the back of the sled.
beer.
food.
chair.

probably too much. :P

Wait til you see what I drag out this year......you will tell me, that's way too much !

Offline bluegillhunter3694

• Team IceShanty Regular
In my sled I usually have a bucket with tip-ups in it, 5-6 rods, rod case, bait, camera, extra articles of clothing(coats, gloves, hats), boot spikes, auger, ice scoop, food, and my little sister when she is tired of walking.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
I travel light.  If it does not fit in my medium jetsled I don't need it.  One caviat to that is on the cold days with my son he drags out the clam 2000 on his own with nothing strapped to it.  I did make a second tier to the jetsled out of plywood to strap down my 2 burner camp stove and my bait bucket but everything fits in there tight so it does not slide around while I'm hauling it.  I tip up fish and generally have 6 lakers and 10 polar style tips in the sled with everything else.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
I thought if was just me..... good thread, I need a secont tier om my medium sled....

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Well I've been pulling out my Otter Outdoors medium sled with my hub (takes up the full length and about half the width of the sled), hand or power auger, flasher bag (which holds 2 combos and tackle), rod bag (holding two combos), 6 gallon bucket (with bait bucket inside), 5 gallon bucket (with tip-ups inside), clam shovel, and lastly my big buddy heater. I think that's all of what I've walked out with this year so far. Still MUCH lighter than my buddies pulling their 2 man's loaded with all their stuff.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Wait til you see what I drag out this year......you will tell me, that's way too much !
can't wait! LOL!

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
I thought if was just me..... good thread, I need a secont tier om my medium sled....

I actually made the modification to my sled last weekend.  I plywood and made cutouts on the second tier for the bucket, stove, coffee cups, thermos, and 5 lb propane tank.  Everything has a hole to slide into so it doesn't rattle around when I drag it.  Came out pretty good!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
you guys make me feel alot better after read these posts. i guess i'm in the middle somewhere,clam-if cold or windy-6" mora,2 buckets w/rods cleats spare gloves ski mask hand warmers and electronics,buddy heater,chair,thermos. hardly use 50% of what i bring-but would rather be lookin' at it,then wishin' for it!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
If I'm going alone I take the Scout, auger, spud bar, buddy heater, four rods & reels, Vex, jigs, munchies, a couple of soft drinks, ice scoop, extra can of propane, a couple of tip-ups, single mantle lantern, and a small bag with a spare transducer for the vex, first aid kit, spare single mantle lantern, spare ice picks, tape measure, camera, foot warmers, fillet knife and sharpener, garbage bag and a couple of small plastic bags. 

-Jeff

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Better question....... What don't ya take out there? For me, the kitchen sink.....Unless I take the wife. Lol. But she tried to talk me into talking the camping toilet out once, no joke!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.