Author Topic: Your worst day of fishing?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline herecuskycusky

• IceShanty Rookie
Your worst day of fishing?
« on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:01 PM »
About two weeks ago I went to  turtle-town pond in concord with my cousin. I had about 6 dozen shiners. we had 10 tip ups out by 7am and sat down  on my minnow bucket and started jigging. About 15 min later the first flag goes up and my cousin runs to get it. Yelling FLAG!!! While he's checking that one another goes up. "It's gonna be a good day "  I yelled to him.  I stood up and put my  new pole in a new rod holder I just bought that hooks to the side your minnow bucket and took off running to the second flag.  Well then something big decided my jig looked good sitting not moving and pulled the bait bucket over.  I heard the crash and by the time I made it back to the scene of the crime my Pole was  long gone in the water and I all but three shiners were now swimming freely under the ice.  I was so pissed off I just packed up my stuff and left.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Your worst day of fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Happend to me last weekend . Had my pole just sitting on my chair with the jig in the water. Luckily a frien was right there to catch it before it when down the hole and I ended up with a nice bow. Sorry to hear the bad news though :-\
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline weares the ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:34 PM »
went out to the shack the day of the big storm we had this winter.  had to shovel to get outof the driveway shovel out where i park at the lake, decided to bring my big sled for my gear, bad idea took about an hour to heave it to my shack managed to get two traps setup before we were too cold to bait a hook, sat in shack drank a few beers caught nothing and lugged the sled another hour to cover all of 500 yds. brutal.

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:46 AM »
Never had a bad one!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:01 AM »
After a great spring day of fishing in 2001, some idiot runs a red light and I t-bone him... both the transom straps break, the winch tower rips off and my boat comes through the back window. Truck and trailer were a total loss, the boat held up pretty well and I've still got the old girl, for the launches my bassboat won't fit on. At the time the 2 weeks it took for insurance checks and replacing stuff seemed like 2 years right at the start of open water fishing. So if your behind a red Z71 pulling a Nitro and it keeps slowing down for green lights... it's probably me.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:23 AM »
As infuriating as that was at the time, it makes a good fishing story.   ;)

I don't know about you, but I fish a lot.  I have had a lot of mishaps and a few days that were quite uncomfortable, even dangerously so.  But I can't seem to recall any that I would consider "bad" or "worst". 

Just remember:

"Fishing consists of a series of misadventures interspersed by occasional moments of glory" - Howard Marshall
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2013, 12:08 PM »
When all my gear disappeared under the ice including my quad at 530 in the morning in 25 feet if water...still gives me nightmares
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Salmon_Run

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired and enjoying it !!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Jibbs - you win hands down here with that one !!
Fish hard and live long !!!!!

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2013, 03:14 PM »
WHENEVER I LAY MY JIGGING ROD DOWN, I ALWAYS FLIP THE BAIL. I TOO LOST A ROD OR TWO IN MY DAY. NO MORE

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2013, 04:04 PM »
When all my gear disappeared under the ice including my quad at 530 in the morning in 25 feet if water...still gives me nightmares

I heard about that one through the grevine last year.  Glad it all worked out and you were unharmed.  A lot of seasoned people went through last season.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2013, 04:22 PM »
.  I have had a lot of mishaps and a few days that were quite uncomfortable, even dangerously so.  But I can't seem to recall any that I would consider "bad" or "worst". 

That is what I was thinking as I pondered this question. I was thinking of a below 0 day with nasty winds on the 1st Conn in Pittsburg with no shelter. I was fishing with my buddy Joe. We caught nothing but we survived and have a story to tell. Bad day, no just a demanding day.

Now that is a BAD day.

John

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2013, 04:38 PM »
I heard about that one through the grevine last year.  Glad it all worked out and you were unharmed.  A lot of seasoned people went through last season.

Oddfish
thanks...13 inches of ice to zero inches... A 30 yard stretch that was kept open by a spring I guess...dive Winni said he rescued a snowmobile in the same spot 5 years earlier...insurance saved the day for sure ... Still have 500 plus dollars of stuff sitting on the bottom..plan on getting a diver friend to go down and get it this summer...haven't been on that lake since and it's my best lake...not good
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.