The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling fishing on Huaser lake...  (Read 4351 times)

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
Ling fishing on Huaser lake...
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:59 PM »
wondering if anyone has any good spots to try for ling.  we are going to black sandy tomorrow and gonna stay the night. thanx for the input.

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ling fishing on Huaser lake...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:01 PM »
You should be able to pick up a couple out there at Black Sandy.  Have never found a "good" place on Hauser, but haven't really tried either.  The "bay" between Black Sandy and White Sandy usually produces one or two fish for us in a few hours of fishing.  Good luck and let us know how you do.

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:33 PM »
yeah I have done really well right off the ramp at white sandy on rainbows.  Mostly all spawners though, meat isn't very good.  I talked to an old guy going out with a rototiller rig with sleds, that fished the east shore straight across from black sandy.  You would have loved to see his set up, I took some pics have to see if I can find them, not the most advanced but sure it beats walking.  I have heard that off the point between the york and causway arm is good too.  I guess that we will see.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:15 AM »
You will probably have better luck going below Canyon Ferry dam and fishing in the river with smelt.

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:27 PM »
You will probably have better luck going below Canyon Ferry dam and fishing in the river with smelt.
When is the best time of year to fish below the dam? Went last weekend and didnt have a bite. Any info would be great.

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:10 PM »
 I have had the best luck fishing the far east side across from Black Sandy. There are or used to be a couple of small points straight across from Black Sandy boat ramp. Try different depths off these points with tip ups and smelt. Rig your tip-up so that your bait is within a foot or so from the bottom. I have never tried this area during the day, but have had some luck at night. If you aren't fishing with tip-ups you could try a Chubby-Darter (4) or Jigging Rapala, perch colored. I have never tried to catch ling this way, but have been lucky using this technique on Canyon Ferry, when Canyon ferry still had ling. Best of Luck...

mtjohn, have you been up to holter yet? Was thinking about making that my next stop. I have been reading that a couple of guys have been getting into the eyes. Hope all is well. Later...

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know we caught 5 ling should of had a couple more  but lost them.  When we got up this morning the one line had two on it. I fish for them with  :tipup: and use a crappie rig with a 1 ot hooks and smelt.  Anyways it went alright I am sure if we could have staid up a little longer we could have pinpointed them a little better.  We did have a couple hits after daylight also so they are getting more active.  anyways, they were all around 2-3 lbs.  Good luck fishing.

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Live4hardwater: I saw the guy on the rototiller, too.  It was about this time last year and when I told people about him they didn't believe me. I wish I had a camera.  Please find and post those photos, I'd love to see them and prove I wasn't dreaming.  My son and I went East from Black Sandy and then north towards the dam yesterday (1/31) afternoon. We had good luck there for small 'eyes this summer, but only caught one 2 lb ling on a flourescent jig with maggots in 20 - 25 FOW.  Watch the ice, though.  In the bay there's > 12", but towards the middle < 7". Tap-er light  ;)

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Was the ice thinner farther north?? were we put down our tipups we still had a good 18 inches and we had a few about a quarter mile north on the east shore from the boat ramp.  We never caught one up that far but did have a bunch of fresh water shrimp on our smelt when we pulled the lines up.

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:32 AM »
the ice was good near shore.  As you went towards the middle (and I mean maybe ten yards) the ice was noticably thinner than that in the bays or close to shore, which makes sense, I guess.  Anyway, try to dig out those photos of the guy riding the roto-tiller.  It will make for some good conversation.  ;D

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:54 AM »
google redneck snowmobile
they have a video on utube
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Caught three last weekend on smelt. Had a good time but it was pretty slow.

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:33 PM »
have any of you got dirty water in yer hole after drilling. like muddy water. laster year when we were in that kinda water oh man we nailed the ling. i have heard that when ling are spawning they burrow in the muddy bottoms so the water is dirty. we were catching them every 10 mins it seemed like. good size too! but have only got 2 this year and that was in dec. little

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:49 PM »

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:46 PM »
that is not the one, I found the pic on my old sd card but for some reason I can't attach anything.  Any help would be great.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:12 PM »
that is not the one, I found the pic on my old sd card but for some reason I can't attach anything.  Any help would be great.

If you are trying to post a picture here you need to open an account on a place like http://www.photobucket.com and then upload it to there and then link to it.

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2010, 03:59 PM »
just got home and ended up with 4 ling from last night and today.  we had 2 in the first hour and the one was a little better sized.  Ice seems to be good still atleast 18in.  caught one bow also, about 4 lbs seems like the fishing is pretty slow this year.  good luck to all and let me know how you guys are doing out there.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:05 PM »
I spent last night at hauser with a snow storm that wouldn't end.We ended up with 5 ling,1 walleye and 1 perch.We had flags   throughout the night and the ling would spool all the line out(what a f#@*$ mess in a snow storm)and the bait would be gone and no hook up.I've never had them do that before without swallowing the hook.

Offline live4hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2010, 01:22 PM »
where were u fishing at and how much water?  I have had a few spooled out also kind of different for ling normally they don't go very far.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:22 AM »
we were out of log gulch just off the point to the south of the boat launch.We fished in 20-40 feet of water,nightcrawlers seemed to work the best.

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Any word on how the ice is holding up? Was thinking of comming over this weekend.

Thanks

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:09 PM »
plenty of ice for walking took the 4 weeler sunday past split rock 4 to 5 inch going fast with this nice weather
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.