New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Long Lake Ice?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline polaristeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Long Lake Ice?
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Anyone herd of how much ice was one Long Lake. I know its frozen but do not know how much is on it.

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
Re: Long Lake Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Can't be much! Sunday the middle was open!

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Can't be much! Sunday the middle was open!

Long Lake will usually be open water under the bridge and a little bit north.  Long Lake is actually part of a river and it flows pretty good right there where it necks down.

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Long Lake will usually be open water under the bridge and a little bit north.  Long Lake is actually part of a river and it flows pretty good right there where it necks down.

The part I saw was the southern end along rt 28!

Offline hamilton county new york

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Long Lake had 3" ice by Jennings Pond area yesterday.  Under the bridge was still wet.  No snowmobile tracks on it this morning..

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Saw my first snowmobile track on Long Lake this morning, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe in the middle, just means- looks like by the tracks two wanted to see if they could make it from Raquette by lakes.  North end of Raquette had 4" pretty much from Indian Point to the channel on Wednesday.  There is an annual fishing tounament in Raquette on Saturday, and I do recall other years sleds going through at the north end on the day of the tournament.  No, noone tried weighing them in for the contest!
Jennings Pond part of Long Lake has 8-10 inches and cold is forecast for tonight.

Offline Rain Barrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Saw my first snowmobile track on Long Lake this morning, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe in the middle, just means- looks like by the tracks two wanted to see if they could make it from Raquette by lakes.  North end of Raquette had 4" pretty much from Indian Point to the channel on Wednesday.  There is an annual fishing tounament in Raquette on Saturday, and I do recall other years sleds going through at the north end on the day of the tournament.  No, noone tried weighing them in for the contest!
Jennings Pond part of Long Lake has 8-10 inches and cold is forecast for tonight.

HC-NY,
I hear there is a pressure fracture in south bay and out from the village on Raquette.  Have you seen this?  Can it be bypassed by snowmobile?
Thanks,
RB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:53 PM »
HC-NY,
I hear there is a pressure fracture in south bay and out from the village on Raquette.  Have you seen this?  Can it be bypassed by snowmobile?
Thanks,
RB

There is one on the other side of Strawberry Island that was wide and wet last week end, we just fished this side (watched a couple snowmobiles run it).  Other one is down by south inlet and looks from Rte 28 like you can get around.  To be sure call the Tap Room 315-354-4581 (not during the lunch rush).  There is a fishing tournament on Raquette Saturday morning and the locals were going to do a lake ice conditions check for the fishermen.

Offline Rain Barrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:55 PM »
HC-NY,
Thanks,
RB

There is one on the other side of Strawberry Island that was wide and wet last week end, we just fished this side (watched a couple snowmobiles run it).  Other one is down by south inlet and looks from Rte 28 like you can get around.  To be sure call the Tap Room 315-354-4581 (not during the lunch rush).  There is a fishing tournament on Raquette Saturday morning and the locals were going to do a lake ice conditions check for the fishermen.

Thanks for the update.  That kind of sucks as I was planning on fishing the derby at the upper end of the lake.  Have to go with plan B instead I guess. 

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Not sure about Long Lake itself, but I fished Lake Eaton in the town of Long Lake yesterday.  There was a good 9 inches of ice there.  I had my 4 wheeler out with no problems.  I saw a pressure ridge on Raquette.  It was really noticable from rt28 heading toward Long Lake.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:51 AM »
LONG LAKE HAD A SNOWMOBILE RACE ON JENNINGS POND OF LONG LAKE, MARKED 10-14 INCHES WHERE THEY HAD PLOWED AND 7-8 WHERE THEY HADN'T.
SNOWMOBILES WERE COMING ACROSS LONG LAKE FROM RAQUETTE SINCE FRIDAY, BUT THEY WERE MOVING PRETTY FAST.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.