Author Topic: Auger Question  (Read 2270 times)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Question
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:54 PM »
I bought an ice auger over the summer and now that i've had a chance to try it, i have learned that it just simply sucks at cutting. It is an older 7"( not sure)  Strike Master Mora and I was looking at the blades and I think I need new ones, but I was looking at pictures of new blades and the design is different and I was wondering if anybody knew if they would still fit on the auger. The new blades have a cutting edge on the inside where mine do not.  Also the previous owner had spraypainted the auger portion black so i was wondering if that would affect the preformance of the auger(maybe more fiction on side of hole while cutting)?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:11 PM »
The blade design has not changed in 50 years. Maybe you do not have a mora auger?

Painting the flighting will have no negative effect  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:09 AM »
It says mora, sweden on the top knob of the auger, I'm noticing that the bottom edge of the blades that i'm looking at buying have a grounded edge on the bottom where mine do not?

Which ones should i get?
Look like mine
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/StrikeMaster-Mora-Hand-Ice-Auger-Replacement-Blades

Don't look like mine
http://www.rapala.com/Mora-Hand-Replacement-Blades/Mora%20Hand%20Replacement%20Blades,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=strikemaster-hand

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:16 PM »
 :o  OMG, my butter knifes sharper than what's on there now. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Those are toast!!!!! Send 'em in for a resharpening/trade!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Umm no one noticed the auger is black. Strikemaster uses the same handles on both Mora and Lazer augers. I think you need these blades
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Umm no one noticed the auger is black. Strikemaster uses the same handles on both Mora and Lazer augers. I think you need these blades(Image removed from quote.)

I can still see the original blue paint underneath the chipped off rattle can black paint

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Those are the worst looking blades I have ever seen. No wonder they won,t cut. Throw them away.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Umm no one noticed the auger is black. Strikemaster uses the same handles on both Mora and Lazer augers. I think you need these blades(Image removed from quote.)

Umm we all read the original post where it said the guy spray painted the auger black.  ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

All strikemaster mora blades are the same. Yours are toast, beyond repair most likely. Buy a new set and throw those in the trash.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:24 PM »
No question. definitely a mora auger/ blade design.  Blades definitely need attention/ replacement. Should be a good auger once the "tip of the spear" is sharpened and ready to go.  I personally have a mora hand auger as a last min. back-up that I have had since puberty and it has never once let me down.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Looks like somebody drilled some fence post holes with them blades!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:30 AM »
Make sure you are using a blade guard or the new set will end up the same way. Can't count how many guys I see pull up to the lake with an auger bouncing around in the back of the truck with no blade guard, then they proceed to take 2-3 minutes drilling one hole through 8" of ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:53 AM »
k thanks for the replies, i knew i needed new blades but i guess i didn't know how badly lol, gonna order some new blades today, ya i have a blade gaurd but when i bought this this summer it was resting on top of the handle rather than on the blades  ???, I'm gonna try to take care of her better than the previous owner.Still I couldn't pass this deal up seeing how i paid $5 for it and i didn't have an auger.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:01 AM »
You made a good deal if you paid $5.  Get the old pair resharpened and carry them with you in case your new ones get dull.  The old ones can be resharpened  by several different people.  I hear a sponsor Fish307 does a good job and I personally have used Bud Hull (iceaugers.com) many times and he always did a great job on mine. Cost last time was a round $10 for resharpening but probably more now.

Take care of the new blades, use the blade guard all the time and they will last through many holes unless you hit wood or sand etc.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:19 AM »
sorry my bad.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I have used fish307 as well, but not sure if yours are still good for resharpening. You could always send them in and see. They have always been great to me, 2 day turn-around for exchange. I've never had them resharpen my specific set of blades.

Buy a new set now, and then when they start to get dull its time to buy another new set. Send the first new set in to fish307 to be sharpened or exchange, and then you'll never be without an auger. Keep the resharpened ones as back-up for when the second new set needs resharpened.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline manbearpig99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Have you taken those blades off?  It looks like they are on upside down.  The mora blades should all look like that second picture but the other side is flat.  I had a similar problem I got mine for free off craigslist because the guy said it didn't work.  I brought it to 307 and it turns out he tried to sharpen the wrong side of the blades which ruins the blades making the auger useless and the blades unsalvageable .  Got a new set of blades and the auger works fine.  As these other guys said, at the very least they need to be sharpened.  When you put new blades on make sure the side with the two different shades of metal and the "made in sweden" (only get the blades made in sweden) writing are pointing down. 
- half man, half bear, half pig

http://aacfishing.blogspot.com is the official BBC/AAC Blog

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I had the exact same first impression when I saw the picture - the blades are on upside down.  I have a Mora and a Lazer and as I'm drilling I can see the ground side of the blade.  The edges are still in terrible shape but even brand new Swedish blades wouldn't cut well if installed upside down.  Both my Mora and Lazer came shipped with chinese blades and they didn't cut well for very long.  Strikemaster sent me free Swedish blades when I called and complained that the augers weren't cutting well after short usage.  They are a great company - why they don't install the better blades on a brand new auger doesn't make sense to me though.  I also religiously wipe any water off of the blades when I'm done fishing and spray them with WD-40 before putting the blade guard back on and storing.

Conococheague

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Exchanged the blades with fish307, the new ones are chinese made but still cut 10 times better than the old ones. The service was excellent and quick.

I believe I pointed out in an earlier post how mine didn't have that grounded edge or any writing on them but it is ok, still got new blades even though there not brand new. Was wondering though if I continue to use the fish307 exchange program a few times is there a chance that I will eventually get swedish blades or will they continue to send chinese blades?

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Exchanged the blades with fish307, the new ones are chinese made but still cut 10 times better than the old ones. The service was excellent and quick.

I believe I pointed out in an earlier post how mine didn't have that grounded edge or any writing on them but it is ok, still got new blades even though there not brand new. Was wondering though if I continue to use the fish307 exchange program a few times is there a chance that I will eventually get swedish blades or will they continue to send chinese blades?

Thanks for that heads up i was going to send a set in for trade but didnt know they sent the Chinese ones out, i will defiantly just have mine sharpened

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:32 AM »

Did you send them swedish or chinese? If you sent swedish and got chinese I'd give them a call or send an email ASAP! Swedish are worth 10 times more than chinese IMO. You want your swedish blades back, trust me!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I gotta second iceauger.com you get the blades you sent but resharpened

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Here's a tip to prolong your blade life.  Store the augur with the blades up!  If you store them so they are wet they will corrode eventually, and then they don't work worth a damn. 

I never take my augers apart, but store them upside down leaning against the wall in the garage.  Both augers I have are 10 years old or more (Lazer 6", fin-bore 4") still have the original blades and still cut nicely.  I do notice the paint eventually flakes off the screw though.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Mine would leak.  ;D

Hand augers are always laying flat in the rafters after being dried and lightly oiled at seasons end, no problems yet. My blades don't last 10 years though, they last about 1/2 a season before they meet an underwater floating log or shad frozen in the ice. One of the drawbacks to fishing the Miss River.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:44 PM »
buy new blades, SHIM them properly and you are gold.
Always willing to try something new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.