Author Topic: 1 man port. sled: Get CLAM LED/fan or buy/install LED strips?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got my 1st 1 man portable sled.
Built a rod holder into the sled and just made a custom floor with holes
*** The floor is pretty cool.  I got a piece of plywood 1/2" thick. Cut to 4'x3'.  Then cut down the center.  Attached 2 door hinges so it folds up and open.  Cut out 3 holes and made covers.  Stappled heavy duty vinyl underneath (the vinyl will contact the ice ) then on the top of the plywood where I will be sitting I stappled artificial turf.
I got my reflectix, but still need to install.

Now I need lighting.  I like the idea of the LED strips.
But....
For what it would cost to buy the LED strips, battery and switch (optional ) and ship.  I could just go to fleet farm and for $15 buy a clam LED/fan combo.

So which am I better off with?  I want good light but longevity too.

I still need a fan in the portable.  So this is where I am leaning to the clam led/fan combo

Suggestions?

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Re: 1 man port. sled: Get CLAM LED/fan or buy/install LED strips?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I bought the larger Clam light/fan a few years ago and after using it a few times was quite unimpressed.  The light is not enough to see to do things (tie knots in particular).  The light is more of a general light, and not very bright at that.  The fan was/became noisy and I was never convinced it moved enough heat from above to make a real difference.  I have both the single and quad Frabill lights now and love them (i also use them in non-ice fishing situations as well).  I use a hub shelter and no fan at this point.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:14 PM »
5 meters for $8 and free shipping...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright-White-5M-300-LED-3528-Flexible-Light-Strip-/220750258465?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item3365bda121

don't get any cheaper than that.  you can cut the strip at every 3 lights if you need it shorter, then just solder wires back into the rest of the strip... I would just wrap it all the way around the inside of the sled so no matter where it is, it's light....

Going to be ordering a roll of this for my buddy's hut and then another roll to do in the box of my truck wired to the dome light to illuminate the bed better since my toolbox cuts off the overhead light.
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Just noticed that link is for "Non Waterproof"..... but you get the point, type in "LED Flexible Strip" and go under Auto Electronics and you'll find PLENTY to choose from...
My Job?

I feed the world...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.