Author Topic: Cool Site!  (Read 14249 times)

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
Cool Site!
« on: Jan 03, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Hi guys,
this is the first web site I've found with fellow ice junkies from my neck of the woods! Terrygonefishing, and rayne its nice to here someone talking about familiar lakes. Cluculz is my personal faverate. I'm just starting to get to know the lake. Ive never caught any lakers but I did manage to land some nice ling last year. Terrygone fishing, your a bit of a ice fishing celebrity around these parts. I've worked at most of the outdoor shops in town and here your name alot. Just the other day I was talking with a couple of buddies of mine, C & D Schults, and they were talking about seeing "Terry" out at Cluculz alot. Then I stumble on this site! Small world. Anyway, I was out at Cluculz on new years. The lake is now frozen over but only a couple of inches right of shore. Any advice on this lake would rock. I've had my best luck off the southwest Island in 80ft of water in Feb. using glow in the dark jigs.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: Cool Site!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:26 PM »
Hi Pitbell, welcome to the Ice Shanty!  Lot of good guys here, and a ton of info.  You'll enjoy it.  I'm from Manitoba, but will enjoy seeing pics of the fish you catch, they're probably different from the walleye and perch we get regularly.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Heh pitbell. Welcome. Yes Cluculz lake is one of my golf courses. Just heard today that Cluculz froze over fully on Jan 1 and with all this cold weather I will probably drop a line there shortly. We fish camp lever in about 80 ft of h20. Are you talking about Petas Island. I think you must be cause there is only a few islands on cluculz.
Feb is an excellent time for ling there. Caught a 12lber there last year. Buddy caught a 14.2lber. I have only fished that area a few times with little luck but in feb it is good at most places for ling. Don't know if you fish "Baldwins" (lot 6 I think) but that seems to be a popular spot just off Lloyd drive. I just don't like the crowds so tend to go to lever, which is just off guest rd. We do catch lakers there. Lost a 30lb plus laker from that spot 2 yrs ago. Also get Kokanee and the odd rainbow.
Yes speaking of celebrities the schultz boys are known for being excellent salmon fishermen. I have icefished with them both. Very nice guys. Actually one of my fishing buddies is their uncle. He fishes full time unless it gets really cold. Which outdoor stores have you worked at. I'm sure I probably would know you. Are you going to the Kamloops derby? 10,000$$$.
Yes I like the glow in the darks and fish into the dark. One if my favorites is a fire eye jig tipped with squid tentacles. Why don't you contact your buddies (Schultz boys) and get them to call their uncle and we can arrange a get together on a local lake. Probably cluculz. Good luck and welcome, there is not many icers in PG.

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:46 AM »
I'm definitely game for an outing. I'll talk to the brothers probably some time today. Is cluculz worth fishing this time of year for ling? We don't do well until Feb. But it does not stop me from going out! I'm a bit of a ling fanatic. Do the ling move shallow in Cluculz in Feb like most lakes? I've only done well (which for me is 2-3 ling a day) in 80 to 100 ft. I would like to find where they spawn. Tried eaglet a few times. Caught a few but they are small. West lake has some better fish but I've never caught them jigging, just set lining. I've herd that Purdon can be good. It's a big lake though and I don't know where to go. We'll definitely have to all get together and go get cold somewhere. We're a dying breed us ice fisherman!
Talk to you soon.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Heh again pitbell. Cluculz lake can be slow this time of year. Ling fanatic, well I have to meet you. It is one of my favorite fish. "Purden is good for ling", ya right... :cookoo: We are going there on thursday to fish an offshore hump that I have marked on my GPS... to see if we can snag one of the few ling there ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 ;)2 Get in touch with the bros and we can arrange a spot. Purden would be good on the weekend??? I work friday night though so would have to fish sat evening.
Talk soon
Terry

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2005, 06:10 PM »
So how did you make out on Thursday Terrygonefishing? Must of been cold! This weather is brutal! I have to work right through till Monday. (not very happy about that) I don't suppose you have Mon off? If you do we should try to make it out somewhere. I think the Bro's are heading for Terrace this weekend for a late season goat hunt. I think I'll wait for a little more snow before I head west for my goat draw. Not much of the white stuff around Terrace this year from what I hear. I'm not sure where to go on Mon. I'm torn between Cluculz and Cathie lake. Or maybe set some lines out at West. Or maybe take a drive out to Saxton? Decisions, decision's......

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Ya got lucky with a goat draw heh. Went up with buddies for a goat hunt in Atlin a few years ago ago. Lots of fun. Great country up there. Actually the weather wasn't bad on cluculz on thursday am, just a little blowy. I had on the floater suit so cut the wind. Just caught a 17 1/2 inch ling and entered him in the derby to see if I get a weekly draw. Had to work thursday night so little time for fishing. I can be on computer at work when it slows down in early am or on my breaks. Yes I have monday off. I work 4 on 5 off (12hr shifts). So I start my days off saturday am and am off till thursday. We are going to Purden (you know the lake where there is poor ling fishing ;)2) on monday. You are welcome to join in. If you go to resort, drive down to lake as far as it is plowed, then short walk to lake. Head west down lake (back towards PG) and you will see us out near middle of lake after you round a small point. Its about a 2km walk from resort. We are heading down from other end but it is a little harder to give directions from. I only fished Saxton once but didn't give it a good chance. Do you get lucky there? Cathie lake is ok if you want to catch lots of fish but very poor quality for eating. Mushy and fish thin. Just wondering if your name is Darren? Daniel thought it might be. Talk to you later or see you on ice monday.

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for the invite! There's a good chance you'll see me on Monday. Do you think there's enough ice for ATVs. Might be a bit scary still. Will the same jigs I use at Cluculz work out there as well? Saxton lake can be good in Feb in 4-10ft of water just off the weeds at the very end corner of the lake. I've never done well anywhere else on the lake. Hard to get them to take a jig. At night with set lines seems to be the only way to get them. I've seen pictures of a 12lb and 10lb caught in the same night. My name is Darren! I'll talk to you soon.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:57 AM »
I have been on cobb lake with my Atv in early dec which had about 6 inches of ice. Yes the ling like the same jigs as cluculz. We will be in either Daniels VW Golf (silver) or my Golf (blue). Not on lake of course. I would think you would be fine on your Atv unless you went too close to the creek but there is no creeks where we are heading. If in doubt stay near middle. Daniel says he has met you once so you will see him again. See ya later.

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love to be out doors!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2005, 03:11 AM »
Thanks for the invite! There's a good chance you'll see me on Monday. Do you think there's enough ice for ATVs. Might be a bit scary still. Will the same jigs I use at Cluculz work out there as well? Saxton lake can be good in Feb in 4-10ft of water just off the weeds at the very end corner of the lake. I've never done well anywhere else on the lake. Hard to get them to take a jig. At night with set lines seems to be the only way to get them. I've seen pictures of a 12lb and 10lb caught in the same night. My name is Darren! I'll talk to you soon.

Darren, Thanks for the invite on Monday. I'm always Very excited to try a new lake. Does anyone know how thick the ice is on purden?
We live to fish!

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Hey Wisk! It's hard to believe there's people out there who Like ice fishing as much as we do eh! I'm sure after a day on the ice with Terry we'll have those ling figured out. Terrygonefishing meet my ice fishing partner Wiskey, Wiskey meet Terry...the guy we've been hearing about.
Terrygonefishing, if we make it purdon we'll be in a red ford 4x4. Probably be on quads.
Talk to you soon!

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Terrygonefishing, are you an avid hunter? If you are, I have a extra Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino System(free of charge). I'll bring a set out to purdon If we can make it. I Rep for the company and it's good advertising if people like yourself use our products. As you can imagine, the Bro's are on my Crooked Horn Pro Team. They use all our products. Check out our web site www.crookedhorn.com Anyway, let me Know if you want a Bino system.
P.S How deep will you be fishing?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Big change of plans pitbell. Daniel has decided to go to Narrow lake instead. We will be targeting Purden on wednesday now. But please still come to Narrow. Don't know if you like fishing for lakers. But there is ling in the lake as well. It is a little further drive down the logging road. If you don't know where to go, let me know. Hope this does not mess you up too much. I stopped by Coast Mtn Sports (Daniel thought you worked there) but they said you were not in. Hope thats were you work? Bring your machines as apparently the snowmobilers have been going in so trail should be beat down some. You will have to give me some pointers on keeping your Atv running at these temps. I recently switched to Amsoil 0W40 which helped alot.
Am I a hunter? Do flies circle the poop pile? Yes I hunt, that is my 2nd passion. Kind of getting into elk hunting lately as moose is quite easy. Heard some buggeling last year and man that was a rush. Yes would love to try out some bino systems. When goat hunting a few years ago a buddy brought a pair of "bino buddies" along and he reallly liked them. I will check out the website.
Hello whiskey. What language do you speak? Crown royal? Schenley? Royal Reserve? Or is that part of your last name? If so is your name Scott? Anyway look forward to fishing with you guys. Don't build me up too much heh Darren. I have been outfished by many, but I do sometimes get lucky. I definately do not know everything about ling. The fun is in the learning. One thing I've learn't is nothing is ever constant. What works one day may not the next. You just have to experiment and find what they are biting on at that time you are there. Chow for now.
Terry

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2005, 02:59 AM »
I learned something from a buddy of mine about ling fishing. He says you can lay the bait right on the bottom of the lake, it doesn't need to be suspended. The ling will pick it right off the bottom because they are sorta like bottom feeders anyway. I just checked the regs and it looks like you are allowed to use fin fish in zone A but not B. And I know that ling will eat shiners alot, so if there are some around I would use them as bait but I suggest using dead ones as you don't want to spread them around into other lakes. Good luck
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2005, 03:48 AM »
Terry My Name is Ryan, My coworkers nicknamed me whiskey ??? Ryan, , ,Then Rye, , ,Then it just whiskey. The funny thing is that I don't even drink whiskey or any hard alcohol, Just the occasional Beer now and then. Narrow lake sounds good to me, , , , Always happy to try a new lake with my fellow ice junkies. Don't worry I won't bring any Whiskey, other than my self. See ya at Narrow!
We live to fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:07 AM »
You drink similar to I then. Not that it would matter to me what you bring, as long as you look after yourself. Had a bad experience once with a fellow that drank too much. Put everyones life in danger. I don't fish with him anymore. Do you and Darren know how to get there? I'm sure you do if you have lived in PG for awhile. Look forward to seeing you there.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Oh yeah, should mention guys that I fish with Daniel who is 66yrs old. If it goes below -20 he likes to stay home. The weather forecast says lows of -23 tonight with highs tomorrow of -14 (gee thats beginning to sound balmy heh). It was -30 this am so hopefully it warms up above -20. Check your pc and I will post at 5am if were are not going.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I learned something from a buddy of mine about ling fishing. He says you can lay the bait right on the bottom of the lake, it doesn't need to be suspended. The ling will pick it right off the bottom because they are sorta like bottom feeders anyway. I just checked the regs and it looks like you are allowed to use fin fish in zone A but not B. And I know that ling will eat shiners alot, so if there are some around I would use them as bait but I suggest using dead ones as you don't want to spread them around into other lakes. Good luck
Yeah we have to use headless fin fish when set lining.

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Hey guys. Wisk, are you up for Narrow lake fishing adventure? Never fished Narrow. Terry how far is it? Isn't it down the bowron somewhere? Wherever it is sounds like fun. Nice to try some different spots. What do you use for the laker's? How deep are you fishing? I do work at CMS. I'll be in from 11-4pm today. If you get bored swing by and grab some Bino straps. I'll bring a pair to the store just in case. Talked to Darrel yesterday. He's off on Mon. He might join us. I'll talk to him today. Your right Terry, keeping the quads running in this weather can be a pain in the arse! There nice to have on the lake. You can cover allot of water. Packing a power auger without the quads sucks! Hopefully the weather is not bad tomorrow. Me and Wiskey will brave the cold no matter what. If you do decide to go just send us a post in the morning and hopefully we see you guys out there! Say hi to Dan for me Terry!

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Pitbell and Whiskey gone fishing
  ;D
We live to fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Heh guys. I just spoke with Daniel and he says we will decide at probably 9pm tonight if going. He really wants to go. We walk to the lake pulling the power auger in sled plus gear. It can be a good workout but what the heck, I don't go to the gym. We will probably stay for a good part of the day. Lakers around here usually bite thru day. No sucess at night like ling. Lures: Any flashy spoon, or buzz-bombs, canoe spoons, crippled herrings (I like metallic perch color).
Directions:
Go south towards Quesnel. On the straight stretch just south of PG by the flashing yellow light turn left on the Willow-Kale Forest Service Road. (I think its accross from & just before 15 mile rd)
Go down the Willow-kale for a few kms then you come to a T with some houses around, turn right. You are now on the main (1100) rd. Stay on the main rd. We think the km signs will now be 11_ _. Go on main rd to 1151kms (Ispah lake)keep left. At 1163 you see Pitoney lake, keep going straight on main rd. At about 1170km we will be parked there or if rd is plowed we turn left and go a few kms to lake. It is a steep walk apparently on the rd. Sheldon from Northern Troutfitters thought we were crazy for going. But says if we walk to Cathie lake then this would be easier. Just watch for a silver VW golf parked and go from there. We will be leaving at 5:30am. Do watch for logging trucks as they maintain the rd so think they own it. We will probably wait for one then follow it.
Yes I like to take my atv or snowmobile with me when going on ice but my sled is up at Stuart lake right now and I don't like driving my atv when this cold. My legs never freeze up but I must admit I like to cover alot of area when icefishing till I connect with fish. Having a machine I tend to move more. Hope the weather co-operates.
Will not be able to drop down to CMS during that time. Going to movie with my son. Not sure what depth we will be fishing at as I have not been to that lake in 20 yrs. Only fished it once. I'm sure some of the directions are off a bit but just get to the main willow-kale FSR. and go to 1170km and your very close and will see the golf. So to answer your question: I guess it is about 90kms from PG.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:45 PM »
OK boys. Looks like we will not be going tomorrow. Daniel says it will be 5 degrees colder there so probably close to -30 and colder. I really want to go tomorrow but will wait and go out at noon. I will just go to Purden though. So now back to plan A. Daniel will not be coming as  has afternoon plans. He still wants to go to narrow lake. We will go there on Tuesday instead. Hope you guys still come out tomorrow. I will be out near middle of lake at PG end. If your bringing bikes then put in by resort and drive up lake back toward PG. I will be fishing an offshore hump in about 20-25 ft of h20. You can leave your auger in truck as I'm bringing mine and I will be putting in alot of holes. I like to make holes early and let area quiet down before the ling move in. Bring your ling lures and we will fish into the darkness.

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2005, 07:23 AM »
Good morning everyone! It's 5:00am and all is well. Glad to here your still heading out Terrygonefishing. I couldn't sleep last night. Must be excited to do some fishing. I tried counting burbot leaping over a fence but it didn't work! Wiskey did some jigging yesterday. Only landed one. He said it was just a little guy so he released it. I hope everyone else out there releases the young ones as well. They live a long time and we need to let them mature. Wisk did you get a picture? You should try to post it. If it works you should post our pictures from last year. Terry would get a kick out of the "ling sun set!"

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Yes I like to release the little ones too. Only like to eat the 5lbers and bigger. Ling are great as live long time out of h2o, so allow you to take lots of pics. The little 17 1/2 inch one I posted on this website inhaled the treble hook. I was jigging for lakers and didn't expect a ling to drop by this early. He bled lots so I knew releasing was not possible. For ling I like to use a single barbless hook.Also when pulling up from deep areas you have to go slow as their swim bladder comes out their mouth if too much of a depth change. Can't release if that happens. I've seen guys hook the bladders to deflate, sure it deflates and is released back into the water but the fish can't operate it with hole in, and it swims around just under the ice unable to return to the depths. Eaglet lake has had for years many anglers who would keep every ling they caught. I saw lots of fishermen with 12 inchers. I told them they should be released. They replied "oh even the little ones taste so good". I always found the ling fishing poor there in the past 8 yrs. Everyone in PG knew to go to Eaglet if you wanted ling. So it got overfished. I even heard stories of guys filling their freezers in the winter. Now look at the restrictions on the lake, only one burbot. Kind of makes ya sick.
Love to see some pics whiskey, especially of ling. Do post or bring to lake. See you there.

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Hello  :o I would like to post the picture but I don't know how? Please Help!, , , ,I'm stupid! The little ling I cought yesterday was only about 10 ounces, I snaged it by the gills. No real damage, just a little puncher on the outside, , the gilles were not namaged and I was lucky to keep it on my hook. I was worried about taking the fish out of the watter because of its size. It was so freeking cold that I thought the little guy would freeze solid, I managed to set him FREE   :D withought any problems. Please let me know how to post pictures. Thanks guys!   (Whiskey)
We live to fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Heh whiskey. Hope you are going to come out today. If you go to upper center of any page and click on the down arrow beside "Forum main". You will see help section. Go there and if no help, pm to Vancouver Canuck (in calgary, don't ask). He was a great help to me when I started posting in December. You have to download your pics to a photolink. I tried sharemation.com but would not recomend. Go with photobucket.com, they are much better.

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:27 PM »
Hey Terry, I'm just getting some things together for our ice fishing adventure! Is it worth bringing some trout gear?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:32 PM »
Yeah sometimes we connect with trout but I don't concentrate on them specifically. Mostly catch them in early morning there. But its fishing and you never know. Daniel caught a nice 2lb 11oz there once last year. I will be leaving about 1pm. See you there.

Offline Fishnutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team B.C
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Hey pitbell, just wondering how you and whisk did yesterday? Did you go to Purden or Narrow? Any big ones? Well keep it reel, homeslice .8)

R.I.P.  TGF

Offline pitbell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Hey fishnutz, Terrygonefishing landed three smaller fish. Meenwhile, me and whiskey were hudled around a heater trying to stay warm. We didnt do much fishing and we didnt stay long because of the cold. Terry on the other hand was covering lots of water and catching fish. We probalby left just as the fishing was getting good. Terrygonefishing, give us an post when you get back from fishing today!
Later!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.