Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake Walleye  (Read 1925 times)

Offline addicted

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit Lake Walleye
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Heading to Spirit Lake over New Years with my son hoping to get into some eyes. Any suggestions on lures/bait? Thanks and hoping for some colder weather to improve ice conditions. Good luck to everyone and stay safe on the hard water this year.
That's why is called "fishing" and not "catching".

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spirit Lake Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I am headed to Spirit over new years as well. I'm going to start with a glow pilky type jig tipped with a minnow .

Will all the ice on Spirit be 4 wheeler usable by then ?

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline addicted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I have not been up there yet this year, but by looking at another post, a UTV went through the ice at Spirit a couple days ago. I have only been to Spirit Lake one time last year. Not exactly sure what to expect for ice, or fishing conditions. Hoping things improve over the next week. I have some homemade slabs that work great for fall walleye. Hopefully the same thing, only down sized, will work through the ice.
That's why is called "fishing" and not "catching".

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I will be there monday will post ice conditions then.

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Monday looks like its gonna be a windy mofo out there, I am tempted to go too on the day off but not sure yet. Still got a tag to fill muzzy.

Offline catfish_slayer91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:45 AM »
Yea some family members and i are heading up to Spirit lake the 6th of Jan for the weekend hopefully there will still be ice with his weird weather we are having i think 2 nights ago was the first time we had some snow that stayed around for more then a few hours.

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 03:24 PM »

So far there have been Atv in anglers all over.  I'm not convinced yet, we stepped over some small seams monday that were growing.  The ice is quiet for how thin it is, feels like late March ice.  But maybe I'm over cautious, I'm waiting to take my atv.

Offline tjslim3271

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Anyone make it out to see how the fishing/ice is??? My family was wanting to go to the waterpark this next weekend and I was hoping to take my ice shack along ;D

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:43 AM »
There is still some good ice left.  Marble, Buffalo, Smiths, Little Miller, Little Emerson, Sunset Park just to name a few.  I've been on Smiths and Spirit and both are doing good.  Spirit is more of a hit or miss and smiths is best at sundown.  Good Luck!! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.