Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: anyone else having a tough time of it?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone else having a tough time of it?
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Been out several times over last couple weeks.  Things have been tough!  Struggling getting any bites.  Marking some fish, but just can't get them to go.  They will come up and look that's it.

Using 3 lb test, spring bobber, and #12 or #14 gill pills and diamond jigs with spikes or waxies for gills and crappie.  Fishing mainly farm ponds.

Do you think this due to the time of season, weather, or ice conditions?  I killed them earlier in the season.

What do you guys do when fishing gets this tough?  Anyone suggest a good spring bobber for a spinning rod?  I fish a lot outside the shack and some of them freeze up on me. 

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: anyone else having a tough time of it?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Been out several times over last couple weeks.  Things have been tough!  Struggling getting any bites.  Marking some fish, but just can't get them to go.  They will come up and look that's it.

Using 3 lb test, spring bobber, and #12 or #14 gill pills and diamond jigs with spikes or waxies for gills and crappie.  Fishing mainly farm ponds.

Do you think this due to the time of season, weather, or ice conditions?  I killed them earlier in the season.

What do you guys do when fishing gets this tough?  Anyone suggest a good spring bobber for a spinning rod?  I fish a lot outside the shack and some of them freeze up on me. 

i had the last two weekends with limits of 8 to 9 inch gills both days each weekend,green gill getter with white glow finesse tail tipped with waxie

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:42 PM »
January is typically a slow month for ice fishing. It should pick back up again in february.

Offline DougU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did I leave the extension?????
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:07 PM »
HarryLee, I believe we met at Lake Morris this last weekend. Seems like you found a better spot as Morris had a bunch of dinks............plus some really nasty sounding ice :o Where did you go to find the bite?? I went to Red Haw and ending up keeping 12. Used a Genz glow gig with a waxie and fished gradual drops down to 30 ft of water. Drill a set of holes about 5 yards apart and try them all till you find the hot one...........if anyones interested 8)

Offline DougU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did I leave the extension?????
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:11 PM »
By the way, we fished a couple of small county/state parks in Jasper today. Caught lots and lots of gills, just no size to them :'( It was nearly non-stop, too bad almost all were dinks ???

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I was out Friday afternoon/evening and not only didn't we not catch a fish again, but only marked 3 in about 5 hours.  It has been a tough few weeks, one day I think I caught 5 or 6 gills only one had any size, but marked them pretty steady for about 3 hours.  Starting to get frustrating, I think I would really be depressed if I wasn't able to come on the Shanty and see that almost everyone is struggling this year.

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:24 PM »
HarryLee, I believe we met at Lake Morris this last weekend. Seems like you found a better spot as Morris had a bunch of dinks............plus some really nasty sounding ice :o Where did you go to find the bite?? I went to Red Haw and ending up keeping 12. Used a Genz glow gig with a waxie and fished gradual drops down to 30 ft of water. Drill a set of holes about 5 yards apart and try them all till you find the hot one...........if anyones interested 8)
red haw,all we got at morris was dinks..found brush pile not mapped!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.