Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: big creek  (Read 5608 times)

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
big creek
« on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:11 AM »
is anyone been out, any keeper eyes this yr, should be about time to start giting some keepers they have been in there long enough., how about crapie and gills. was thanking of maybe trying it this week. dose anyone know if there good ice on the lakes nw arm?

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: big creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Plenty of ice, from all of the reports I have read, gills are biting well, crappies average, and smaller eyes and white bass are being caught in deeper water.  I know the gills are good sized.  Other than that mixed reports but I know the crappie bite hasn't beent the best. 

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I was on BC new years day with a 4 wheeler. Great ice. 8+
Saw one pick-up on the ice !   :o

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline icefishermitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Does anyone know how Moffit lake is doing. I have seen many fisherman out there and was wondering if anyone is catching them.     Mitch

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Does anyone know how Moffit lake is doing. I have seen many fisherman out there and was wondering if anyone is catching them.     Mitch

Some guys that have fished it this year said it was slower than last year, but they have not been out in awhile.  Water still crystal clear and good weeds!

Offline icefishermitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:17 PM »
How big is that lake by the way? I always see them straight out from the dam off the road. I was thinking about trying it sometime this week.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2010, 10:19 PM »
fished the crap today    7 nice eyes and a limit of craps   not to shabby    go to go and drop them in the fryer
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline kauffman_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Fished Big Creek for the first time tonight and got skunked.  Any tips on general locations to check out on the lake?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Ice is super thick was driving on it tonight. One dink walrus and that was IT. Definite buzz caught though. To those brave souls out there, try eating some waxies, we did! Either raw or cooked, seriously not bad!

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:54 AM »
hey squ1rr31 how thick was it that you drove on it and are there others driving yet or you the first brave sole
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline gotta fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:53 PM »
We had a 3/4 ton crew cab on the ice and it wasn't the only one. did get skunked but this was the first time.
my Holiday on ice has nothing to do with a mouse or an auditorium

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:48 PM »
There's about 10 inches of clear ice on the bottom and 4 of white ice. Measured it with my scoop and it was as long as the handle with just the scoop sticking out of the water.

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Fished Big Creek for the first time tonight and got skunked.  Any tips on general locations to check out on the lake?

going to nite if u want to go be out 1  till dark
pm me  and ill let you know  how to reach me or were ill be

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:50 PM »
For those that get chance to fish Big Creek, here are a couple of spots to try that might give you a shot at some perch or big bluegills.  I'll do the best I can in describing the locations--if you have a map of the lake you should be able to locate the areas.

#1   in the area bay (which is the Little Creek arm of the lake) to the north and west of the large jetty (it is to the north of the main boat ramp on the west side of the lake..if you follow that shoreline toward the little creek arm (back west and north, you will come to a small point..out from that point is a ridge that runs kind of north south and it should top off in about 8-9ft...on the east side of that ridge it drops off into about 13-14ft and back in 1995, they put brush and some rock piles on it--it doesnt' get fished that often in the winter because it's hard to find--but we used to catch some really nice bluegills and crappies--and occasional big walleye there in winter--before they added structure, there were old tree stumps along a fenceline there we fished (some of that is still there on the bottom) and we would catch some of those nice perch in the lake back in 80's there)
If you work that area and find the ridge/structure drill on the downslope side as they also put brush at the bottom of that dropoff into 14ft as well. It's a long walk from about any direction but it might produce. I fished it 2 yrs ago in midwinter and did well one day. spot #2 coming later today. if you would like more info about this spot, send me PM and I'll give you more specific details when I can home tonight and look at my original map of big creek.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:13 PM »
here is some more info on that spot #1:  if you go to that point I mentioned go out almost due north about 375-400 ft. You should come across that ridge and if you work it kind of NW/SE you should see it come up to 7-8ft, with the deeper water then on the north side of that ridge..Brush and rock piles will be on the ridge and the north side in 10-11ft, with another grouping of brush/rocks in about 14-16ft as it begins to tumble down toward the creek bed in that arm. 

#2 another place we used to catch some of the big perch was down near the dam on east side...right off the first cove and that point. It drops off very sharply into deep water. We would start in about 25ft and work down to were it got to 40ft--which put you on a deep flat--the perch would roam up and down that slope but also settle into that deep flat area looking for I'm guessing bloodworms or other organisms on the bottom. We used jigging spoons (Kastmaters tipped with waxworms, and also small rocker minnows (made by Jig-a-Whopper) in orange/silver or green/silver patterns. I think any spoon you have confidence in fished in the right place will catch em! Hope some of you get a chance to enjoy the warming trend and stable weather! Good fishing!

Offline Phished Out

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Are you serious Bert?  Why don't you just give everyone the GPS coordinates or better yet come dig the holes for everyone... 

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Sure, why not. No guarantees anyone is going to catch fish at those spots, and the one location #1 is hard to find and a long way from anywhere else. The location down by dam is a hit/miss spot too. I was fortunate growing up to have been around some exceptional fishermen on Big Creek who shared information and spots with me. Sometimes I caught fish at those spots, sometimes nothing. Not saying I'm a great fishermen but it's pretty obvious fishing big creek where most people fish--and for good reason. That's where most of the top quality structure is. Not really any secret spots here. Get a map of the lake and you'll see on it the areas--now it's just a matter if someone wants to trek all that way for possible nothing--or something!

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions bert.
 I see nothing wrong with someone that wants to share info.

PS: 1st post so negative  :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline icemelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:40 AM »
got my ice shack setting on spot # 1 bert thats my spot!!!!!!!!!

Offline Phished Out

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Sounds about right Icemelt... 

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Almost forgot about that spot #1.  Thanks for reminding me.  I remember seeing the brush and the ridge on the camera.  Remember catching fish there too.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:46 PM »
got my ice shack setting on spot # 1 bert thats my spot!!!!!!!!! (Image removed from quote.)

this guy isnt messin around  its there alright   thought id have that spot to my self 8)
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline kauffman_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:09 PM »
got my ice shack setting on spot # 1 bert thats my spot!!!!!!!!! (Image removed from quote.)
Is the spot producing well?  I will probably see you out there tomorrow.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:21 PM »
ill have to agree with toothfish on this one bert thank you for giving info on spots to try and like you said no promises that people will produce there.  and isnt this site meant for anglers sharing info, tips and ice conditions to other anglers?  most people on here are trying to help other anglers and make friends not enemies am i right?   ??? ???
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline kauffman_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:13 AM »
My hats off to you C.R. Rick.  I couldn't have said it any better my self!!!!!

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:42 PM »
You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink. Same holds in fishing.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:05 PM »
thats what im sayin rawfish "you might be thirsty" "but can you get something to drink" Share the drink!!
Hard charger !

Offline porkchop1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • inside new perm.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:50 PM »
why can't we all get along

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:49 AM »
the bite was great for nice gills Friday pm and decent yesterday am. slowed way down for us in the pm yesterday. lots of fish just not agressive  :-\

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Big creek? I've heard about someone catching a huge walleye down by the dam area, i THINK it was about 28". I don't know anything else though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.