Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey you guys in Northern Iowa could you.....  (Read 1959 times)

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey you guys in Northern Iowa could you.....
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:23 AM »
help a guy out?  Looking for some public water up in Northern Iowa good for pearch, crappie, and some eyes as a bonus.  I live in Knoxville and usually go up to Lake Winni in Late January, but not going to be able to get up there this year.  I would really like to stay North Central around I-35 if I can.  I see some lakes on the DNR web site, but to be honest with you I am not farmilar with anything up north.  I think we are planning a weekend trip to Brushy.  Thought I would see what you guys think would be good for a one or two day trip up your way....  Thanks in advance for the help.  

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
Re: Hey you guys in Northern Iowa could you.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:44 AM »
The only lake really near I35 is Clear Lake, but if your a bit more adventurous the Iowa Great Lakes are only a couple hours from there and off er great fishing for all species.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Perch and Crappie waters in my area are few and far in between.  If you want pannies hit up Spirit or Boji.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Based on the species you are looking for, I would tell you to head to the IGL's.  As stated it is a couple hours from I-35, but it may be worth your trip.  It has been pretty well documented that the perch bite has been and is expected to be record breaking on Big Spirit, and you can't help but find the "hot spots" because of the shanty towns that number in the hundreds of shacks.  I personally don't do a lot of targeting of crappies, but based on reports I have heard, the Grade, Anglers, and Templars are good spots on Big Spirit to target those.  Walleyes are pretty catchable on Spirit also.   One other species you may want to target are the monster Gills that can be caught on West Lake Okoboji.  The gin clear water of West Lake is unreal for sight fishing those bulls.  There are guys that fish these a lot more than me that probably make a stronger case for the IGL's, but I hope this helps.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I'm bias since I live and fish the IGL's but they can be the best fishing you'll experience but they can also humble a guy. I agree sight fishing is great, I don't even like fishing any other way anymore. To give you an idea on water clarity Friday looking over the side of the boat I could easily see the bottom in 18feet on West Okoboji. Gills aren't an easy target but the Spirit perch bites been on fire and should continue. Chance at decent pike and bass to on either lake and you heart will skip a few beats when that 50" muskie swims by under your feet.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Sight fishing is a lot like the prettiest girl in school. Oh its fun to be able to see it, but in reality its just a heatache waiting to happen. Dirty water is the girl who is OK looking nothing fabulous, might have a fat butt too. But she can cook and does what she is told when you tell her. She spends her whole life making your life better. You`ll catch a lot more fish in dirty water, and you wont have much competition. Because everybody wants to be with the pretty girl, clear water. And they are the ones who go home lonely, while you go home smelling like fish.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Glad the pretty girls like me, I don't go home empty unless by choice.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:51 PM »
i live in webster city, and am usually more than happy to "help a brother out." i fish 4-5 days a week from big creek to the minnesota line and roughly 35 miles either side of I-35...let me know if you're interested sometime...by the way, the north ramp at brushy is 10 minutes from my house.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Thanks guys! Anyone know anything about Crystal Lake?  May have to take a weekend and try the IGL's.  Any towns you guys would suggest to get a reasonable nice hotel room?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Northland Inn outside of Spirit Lake will treat you well in the IGL's area. Plenty of other rooms in the area to.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Bassrat may look you up when we come up to Brushy.  Do we need to bring a four wheeler or can we drag from the ramps to some good areas?  Don't have an ATV, but got a buddy or two that would let me use theirs.  There are DNR cabins up at Brushy right? Going to be 3 or 4 of us.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Sight fishing is a lot like the prettiest girl in school. Oh its fun to be able to see it, but in reality its just a heatache waiting to happen. Dirty water is the girl who is OK looking nothing fabulous, might have a fat butt too. But she can cook and does what she is told when you tell her. She spends her whole life making your life better. You`ll catch a lot more fish in dirty water, and you wont have much competition. Because everybody wants to be with the pretty girl, clear water. And they are the ones who go home lonely, while you go home smelling like fish.

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife  ;D

I like to think of sight fishing as going out to a hibachi grill. Sure it's flashy, fun and there's people all around the dinner table to BS with, but when it comes down to it, all you're getting is some overpriced rice. Spirit on the other hand, that's the meat, taters and an ice cold Bud  ;)

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Bassrat may look you up when we come up to Brushy.  Do we need to bring a four wheeler or can we drag from the ramps to some good areas?  Don't have an ATV, but got a buddy or two that would let me use theirs.  There are DNR cabins up at Brushy right? Going to be 3 or 4 of us.
wheelers are helpful at brushy...but alas, i don't have one either....there's enough access points that it doesn't hurt ya too badly...i know the cabins were in planning but i don't know if they're finished...i'll take a look in the next day or 2 and get back to ya...i'd just split a room at the exec. inn in webster city if it were me....warmer and runs about the same $$ and rental cabins i believe....briggs woods just south of town has some REALLY NICE GILLS and some good perch and crappie + cabins too...if ya need a different thought.
If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife  ;D

I like to think of sight fishing as going out to a hibachi grill. Sure it's flashy, fun and there's people all around the dinner table to BS with, but when it comes down to it, all you're getting is some overpriced rice. Spirit on the other hand, that's the meat, taters and an ice cold Bud  ;)

well played sir!!!  but yeah...it's fun for a change of pace.....sight fished last year on dale maffit by DM in 35 feet of water...that's kinda freaky though.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Less competition for me I spend 90% pf my time on West and eat good in the winter, come Spring though I'll tear up the eyes on Spirit till Muskies open then back to West I go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.