The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger Safety  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger Safety
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Had this happen last weekend, I just happened to not tie my shemagh (afgan scarf) like usual and wrapped it around my neck. 
  Scarf got caught somehow through the gap on pull cord cover of my jiffy pro4 and sucked me into the auger head.  1 in a million chance but still something to be cautious and aware of.  Loose clothing, scarf, hoodie strings, sleeves, etc... 
  Had the scarf been tied like usual, it could have choked me to death.  Scary stuff for sure.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Auger Safety
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:28 AM »

Well I’m glad you are ok , thanks for sharing , it may help someone out in the future

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Scary situation.  Talked to a guy who was giving a seminar on crappie fishing on open water.  Asked him if he ice fished anymore.  He stated last time he went he somehow got his foot caught in his auger and severely damaged it.  Everything turned out fine. Says he hasn't been since. 

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:12 AM »
On a less dramatic level, be careful when handling an auger and when walking around an auger which is lying on the ice.  I recently repaired five slits in my ice fishing bibs which were the results of brushes with my auger.

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Yup, those augers eat up my bibs too!

Offline FishingBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:45 AM »
I was putting the cover on my auger bit a couple weeks.  I'm not sure exactly what happened but I sliced my hand open. I didn't have a first aide kit so I bled all over my stuff while trying to clean up.   Over two weeks later its closed up but still pretty sore.  Keep them covered when not in use and use gloves.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2018, 12:01 PM »
carry super glue with you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:12 PM »
WOW & ow.   Nasty love hickey.      :roflmao:

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:01 AM »
trying to have empathy..but can't believe you posted such a post...my scarf got caught....probally the softest post of all time...who gets their scarf caught in the auger?. wow..dude..wow...

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:22 AM »
trying to have empathy..but can't believe you posted such a post...my scarf got caught....probally the softest post of all time...who gets their scarf caught in the auger?. wow..dude..wow...
I'm glad Hammer1down made the post.  Getting gear tangled in your auger is legitimate hazard.  Sometimes when leaning over my auger while wearing a fishing lanyard around my neck I wonder, "What would happen if my lanyard got hooked on my auger?  Thanks to Hammer1down, now I know.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:02 AM »
I agree pete...my response was knee jerk...I guess things can happen and it is good for people to be aware...I wouldn't just give a chainsaw to someone and tell them to fell a tree..must less buck rounds....nobody reads the operational manual for ice augers..they kinda just take your money like any other tool.....so it is good people be aware...it aint rocket science..but augers are powerful and sharp...be aware or they'll mess you up... so when operating anything..be aware of loose things that will attach you to whatever you are operating....or you will end up on some show like ridiculous and have a mllion web views...but sh''t does happen.... I am just glad hammerdown wasn't hurt worse... sorry for my callous comment

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Had my Jiffy do the same thing with my hoodie strings two years ago.

Offline snotsickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Glad you are ok.  But why am I picturing you as the Derek Zoolander of the ice fishing world???

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Ice augers and drills or drill presses are all the same if you really think about it. All very dangerous with loose clothing or body limbs. Glad everything turned out ok.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:25 PM »
just to say this.. I know most won't care..and it has nothing to do with ice fishing...but I will..cause I am not so sure how much I will be on the site in the future....I came down hard on hammer cause I hate to see people get messed up on situations that are avoidable...and pete's post was great cause it brings up common sense things..that are not always so commonly known.i was like 11 or so....i remember bucking bales..it was cold out..had the gloves on...my thumb got caught in the twine as I was throwing it off the back of the truck ...well I broke my thumb..but felt so ashamed and scared of doing it.. I kept it to myself and worked the rest of the day...the next day we went to the hospital and my thumb was put in a cast...my stepdad was a prick...he was like..how could you be so stupid...now who is going to throw bales...but you know what.. f him..... f me as well for judging hammer..we are all learning on this journey...nobody is better...worse? that's up to them and not my concern....who the hell cares if someone fishes better or has more experience.. I can guarantee you..that the person who truly cares about their environment... will.. in the long run..have more success than a person who has done it all their life but has no respect....this is a great site...share ideas...and don't judge..the fish are the semen within the worlds waters...good luck all...and the bigger man..chooses kindness and compassion..even though he still is packing....chooses to be a steward..instead of a taker....make your own mind up...not what is fed your psyche....maybe i'll be back next fall..tight lines all...bless you and your families....be kind...hope to see some of ya out on the water...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2018, 08:48 PM »
word:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.