Author Topic: Getting Tough Gills to Bite?  (Read 5305 times)

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Getting Tough Gills to Bite?
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:08 AM »
I fish a local gravel pit and it is extremely clear and about 16 feet deep.  It is pretty big but shaped like a big rectangle and the whole   thing is similar depth.  It has a lot of weeds and the whole ponds looks like a weedbed on a large lake.  I have found a large school of nice Gills and a few crappie but they just do not bite.  What are some tips on getting stubborn fish to bite?

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting Tough Gills to Bite?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Smaller & darker baits and much slower presentation. Gravel pits can be a PIA, they often have a very specific main food source that must be duplicated somehow but small and slow may work. If not, stay at it. It could be pinhead sized minnows/imitations or even micro crawfish type baits. Unique little worlds of their own and often have their own set of approaches outside the local lake norms. Nymphs, Scuds and even Bullhead fry are fairly common forage in pits as well

Offline tipwaydown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:19 PM »
I agree with darker color jigs... we have pits here and even in the summer I fish wax worms with a black with a red dot with green sparkles.... depends on the sun too.... I like dark colors when its bright  and run white and pink on overcast days.... bright and un natural colors seem to spook the fish here.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:13 PM »
You probably already tried it but light 2# or less florocarbon line is a good start. I would try small horizontal jigs with plastic; the simpler the better. From there you can easily try different color combinations. Also a tiny jig with a single spike might do the trick.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:41 AM »
I've spent a lot of time watching gills on the Aqu-vu and during midday, especially with a bright sun, those bigger gills come in and do a lot of "looking" and then slowly swim away. The other replies are right on the money as far as what I've seen work for those spooky gills. Switching to 2# line, small natural colored jig like a black ant, or a tiny purple rat-finkee fished with a single spike. I've also tried a nymph (like you would use fly fishing) as it resembles a scud.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Don't fish with a flasher but found gills this week in 12' water, 3' down, nice gills too.  Might be a oxygen thing!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:02 PM »
 Try holding it a foot off of bottom and lowering it down slowly. I have had some good luck doing that!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Those big dawgs don't seem to like and or are spooked by an easy meal...

As they approach, try making your jig look as if its trying to get away from them, upward bounces, a bunch of quarter inch hops to the surface...

Sometimes they will slowly follow it up as much as a few feet even...

Be ready, they only taste it for a second, in and out, as soon as they pop their mouth to inhale, jack that S.O.B.!

I run 1lb test leaders, and that seems to help too.. I lot of the big bulls around here have been caught and released when they were smaller, and they learned what fishing line, splitshots, and hooks are (at least that's my theory).... Go with size 14 or even 16 too...

<*)))>{

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:48 PM »
As they approach, try making your jig look as if its trying to get away from them, upward bounces, a bunch of quarter inch hops to the surface...

I agree. I feel like I have better luck getting them to chase the jig up a few feet. For me, they are more likely to make the decision to bite after I pull them up from the weeds a bit, where they are less comfortable.

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Today when I was out I couldn't get them to bite at all. Once I saw I had there attention I would slowly jig up and they would follow. But then nothing. I was switching jigs, tried plastics, and tried using 2 waxies still no action. I only caught 2 and missed 2 but probly had 50 fish follow and just stare my jig down. Tomorrow I'm goin to my good gill lake. Should have a lot more action there.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Plastics!!  Bait presentation is the key, you can have same color hook same bait and not catch them, and your buddy next to you has same exact set-up and he's catching them, study his presentation, you will start catching them!!  Have been on both ends of that stick!!

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Downsize, Downsize, Downsize..... If your one a really touch bite and you know the fish are there go small. I have 2mm tungsten jigs that have the hole in the jig and you tie your line to the hook. These work well paired with Euro Larvae(Spikes). A single spike is usually the key for me. I will also use some very tiny plastics as well. Some are less than a 1/2" long. Work them painfully slow and these should produce. I personally like a little challenging bite at times. Keeps me trying new stuff and coming up with new ways to trigger fish to take the presentation.

Tight lines.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:46 AM »
I know many will disagree,but..ive been at these gills along time..ive tried it all.beleive it or not..worms.USE WORMS...redworms(trout worms)..wrap the worm around your hook several times..do not leave a long tail..just a ball of worm with about 1/16 in tail hanging.i sit next to people using wigs,waxies,plastics,eyeballs...and  sit there with my worms...with that little smile... ;D
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline MR.WHITETAIL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:32 AM »
I like to use no weight for the tough bite just let the tear drop do all the work

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:38 PM »
If they aren't responding try dead sticking a Schooley rod with a horizontal jig and wax worms or spikes. I have caught hundreds of gills like that and I usually use a size 8 jig. Often it's just the ticket on non aggressive fish. I also like a Mr. Jigger with a super soft tip rod and similar lure bait set up. Many days they will catch the majority of the fish and it's nice to be catching them in between periods of aggressive biting.
My soldiers:  ;)
Notice my rod savers; a must for big gills!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.