Author Topic: tip up set up.  (Read 9141 times)

Offline buckwhacka

• IceShanty Rookie
tip up set up.
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:42 PM »
not sure if im setting up my tip up right if somebody could post a pic of how they set up their tip up that would be helpfull     thanks.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up set up.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:22 PM »
What kind of tip-up are you looking to setup and what fish are you targeting?

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:49 AM »

I am not sure if this is the type of tip up you use but the rigs should be the same just the spool will be at a different angle.

For the main line on all my tip ups I use spider wire stealth. Any fused surface super line will work, they don't absorb much water so they won't freeze to the ice. I use a small split shot to mark the depth the line is going to be set at. I find them to be cheeper and easier than small bobbers or bobber stops, some also use buttons as well. I use a snap swivel to connect the leader to the main line this makes leader changes on the ice quick and easy. Now for the most important part the leader. You will need to find out what works best for you, if you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers. For pan fish I use about 5' of P-line floroclear in 6 pound test and a number 6 or 8 hook with enough weight to keep the bait down. When it comes to the toothie fish I use about 5' of fire line crystal in 14 pound test with the blade and bead setup shown.
I hope this helps show the basic tip up set up, good luck and good fishing.
Holeinhide.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Good pics...very helpful to beginners.  They will definately appreciate your effort!!! :tipup: :tipup:
I love a flag!!!!

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:54 PM »
not sure if im setting up my tip up right if somebody could post a pic of how they set up their tip up that would be helpfull     thanks.
i just learned to put a button on my line to use for the depth works great  put buttons on all my tip ups now
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:20 PM »
trucker if your new to the button beware when fighting a large fish the button can sting your cold fingers and cause leader breakage just have to be aware of that button

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:41 PM »
trucker if your new to the button beware when fighting a large fish the button can sting your cold fingers and cause leader breakage just have to be aware of that button
???????? what mean sting cold fingers
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:48 PM »
One thing I would like to add, clear tape raped around the base of the shaft and screw the line holder down to put tension on the guide .I have seen to many lines feed all the way out and no flag up.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:11 PM »

I use black braided nylon tip-up line, lasts for years, with a small snap swivel. For leiter I use Maxima 6-8#, 2-4' with a small treble or a small jig. Got a 33" pike on this rig today. Walleye tattoo made a great suggestion I use tape too, wraped around the shaft then screw the line guide over the tape. Otherwise the minnow will swim circles and could turn the line guide, taking line off the spool. This polar tip up I bought last year had a pen pocket clip or something like it to stop the guide from turning (second photo).

HenryDavid

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Anyone know of a good outlet for beads and blades ?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:34 PM »

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:55 PM »
how big is your spool, 200' or 500' or 1500'? put some cheap mono in 12-15lb. test as backer. then 50 yds of dacron, (sold as backer) i use 45lb test, then a leader sized for the type of fishing your going to do. the above pictures show leaders. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.