The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Is Iceshanty becoming the dead sea?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Is Iceshanty becoming the dead sea?
« on: Jan 13, 2023, 04:04 PM »
Haven't seen any activity in a while.
Been working on the Kids clinic, slow there also.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is Iceshanty becoming the dead sea?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2023, 04:12 PM »
Seems slow on lots of boards and other forums also.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2023, 04:24 PM »
Ice fisher persons are usually a lot more chatty.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2023, 04:26 PM »
Yes they are.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:56 PM »
Seems to be alot less "share every detail" chat...
Can't help but wonder why...

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:05 PM »
Social media in general has taken a dive in activity on all social media platforms, the states are consumed with what is happening in Washington and the overwhelming evidence of complications cause by the mismanagement of use of the clot shot Covid-19 mRNA vaccine. People are in general don't have much to share anymore. If you are a left leaning member of society you can find all kinds of social media platforms that are just chalked full of the crazies. JMTC

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:17 PM »

Cause your stingy with your info, Lol

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:19 PM »
Social media in general has taken a dive in activity on all social media platforms, the states are consumed with what is happening in Washington and the overwhelming evidence of complications cause by the mismanagement of use of the clot shot Covid-19 mRNA vaccine. People are in general don't have much to share anymore. If you are a left leaning member of society you can find all kinds of social media platforms that are just chalked full of the crazies. JMTC

It has nothing to do with political craziness and everything with how this ice season is going for a large portion of the ice belt. Huge parts of the ice belt don't have safe ice, so there is no reason for the average ice fisherman to come to a website when there is "nothing" for them to read about local conditions, etc... Some people, like myself, are here year round because they enjoy reading and learning, but the average person isn't doing that. Kind of like interest in the NFL drops shortly after the super bowl and increases when the regular season starts. If the NFL didn't start until week 12 and ended during week 18, people would not spend much time on ESPN's website before week 12.

And why bring politics/covid into a conversation on an ice fishing website? I'm all for stirring the pot, but save that crap for Facebook.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:24 PM »
It has nothing to do with political craziness and everything with how this ice season is going for a large portion of the ice belt. Huge parts of the ice belt don't have safe ice, so there is no reason for the average ice fisherman to come to a website when there is "nothing" for them to read about local conditions, etc... Some people, like myself, are here year round because they enjoy reading and learning, but the average person isn't doing that. Kind of like interest in the NFL drops shortly after the super bowl and increases when the regular season starts. If the NFL didn't start until week 12 and ended during week 18, people would not spend much time on ESPN's website before week 12.

And why bring politics/covid into a conversation on an ice fishing website? I'm all for stirring the pot, but save that crap for Facebook.

Your right, haven't heard much from around here and haven't been out, I'm sure everything locally has sketchy ice or no ice at all, been warm and windy here, I know there's not much back east reading through all the threads.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:40 PM »
Cause your stingy with your info, Lol

;)2 ..... :roflmao:

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:18 PM »
Your right, haven't heard much from around here and haven't been out, I'm sure everything locally has sketchy ice or no ice at all, been warm and windy here, I know there's not much back east reading through all the threads.

I'm in the finger lakes region of NY and I haven't been out yet this year. There are a few places if I was willing to drive a few hours and had enough free time, but my schedule doesn't allow it. Normally I would have been on the ice locally(5 minutes away) a few times by now, but no ice whatsoever.

I feel like most people hop on IS to check conditions (when safe ice is available) and to see reports of how the fishing is, and then lurk/post before logging out. If there's no reason check reports, there's no reason to lurk/post.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:50 PM »
I'm in the finger lakes region of NY and I haven't been out yet this year. There are a few places if I was willing to drive a few hours and had enough free time, but my schedule doesn't allow it. Normally I would have been on the ice locally(5 minutes away) a few times by now, but no ice whatsoever.

I feel like most people hop on IS to check conditions (when safe ice is available) and to see reports of how the fishing is, and then lurk/post before logging out. If there's no reason check reports, there's no reason to lurk/post.

Same here, at least 2 weeks before I get out, was 45 here today, and 50 tomorrow, any moisture we get is rain, lots of lakes even a few hours away don't have much ice.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:02 PM »
Same issue here (central IL, which is the tail end of the ice belt anyway)... we had fishable ice for about a week around Xmas, but it was gone by the turn of the year, and it's not looking good for a freeze up anytime soon.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about the ice out east.
I don't think there is a lake in Mt that isn't fishable.
Maybe not Flathead.
We are having a early ice season.
Fortpeck froze in late November/early December.
Only the 4th time it has frozen that early on record..
Guess it makes up for the bad years

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:48 PM »

Lol yeah we all come on a open website to look for fishing photos and I'm sure where the big hot bite is, well social media is declining and it has nothing to do with where the fish are biting  The post was asking why this website is the dead sea we'll I told him its not just this outdoor site it's all the outdoor sites. But whatever you live in your own fantasy world
Ps NFL sucks to for woke bs they tried shoving down our throats

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:20 PM »
My guess is the activity level here is an equal and opposite reaction to the mind-blowing 406 Ice Fishing and similar FB pages that occasionally spills over here. The cringe-worthy demands of “tell me where to go and how to do it” would have resulted in most of us being sent to our rooms without dinner as kids. Enablers feeding GPS-level details only exacerbate the problem. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man a waypoint and you’ve taught him how to get something without exerting the least bit of effort.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:40 PM »
Lol yeah we all come on a open website to look for fishing photos and I'm sure where the big hot bite is, well social media is declining and it has nothing to do with where the fish are biting  The post was asking why this website is the dead sea we'll I told him its not just this outdoor site it's all the outdoor sites. But whatever you live in your own fantasy world
Ps NFL sucks to for woke bs they tried shoving down our throats

??? Don't know what this has to do with the OP about the lack of traffic on the Montana board, but okay.....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:46 PM »
My guess is the activity level here is an equal and opposite reaction to the mind-blowing 406 Ice Fishing and similar FB pages that occasionally spills over here. The cringe-worthy demands of “tell me where to go and how to do it” would have resulted in most of us being sent to our rooms without dinner as kids. Enablers feeding GPS-level details only exacerbate the problem. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man a waypoint and you’ve taught him how to get something without exerting the least bit of effort.

This about sums it up !!

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2023, 10:27 PM »
??? Don't know what this has to do with the OP about the lack of traffic on the Montana board, but okay.....
I believe he didn't say anything specific about just Montana board, he was talking about the whole website iceshanty as compared to the dead sea.
Are we talking the same language here 🤔 because clearly my comprehension of the English language hasn't changed here in the north dakota, maybe it's a Montana thing. Wow ok then lmao 🤣
Make a mental note stay away from the Montana board 👌

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2023, 03:30 AM »
I believe he didn't say anything specific about just Montana board, he was talking about the whole website iceshanty as compared to the dead sea.
Are we talking the same language here 🤔 because clearly my comprehension of the English language hasn't changed here in the north dakota, maybe it's a Montana thing. Wow ok then lmao 🤣
Make a mental note stay away from the Montana board 👌

So...He was talking about the whole website iceshanty & you proceeded to ramble on about all other social media platforms, states being consumed with Washington, & the covid vaccine...Then you really nailed the whole website iceshanty dead sea issue with the all outdoor sites being doomed & the NFL sucks...Wow, thanks for clearing that all up...
MAKES TOTAL SENSE...IF YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT IT...
To answer your question...We are definitely not talking the same language...No interest in talking that spewed jibberish that belongs east of here...So make that mental note that you mentioned & thanks for all the nothing !!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2023, 04:54 AM »
The Last  thing I think about is Covid and Washington when I go fish.

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:19 AM »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:25 AM »

I'm very free with the "how" and "what" but will never publicly share a "where".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:32 AM »
There are “guides” in Maine who sell consultations for 50$. All the waypoints, google maps directions, the whole thing, flies/bait to use. Anyone with 50$ can get locations. Such a shame.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:44 AM »
So...He was talking about the whole website iceshanty & you proceeded to ramble on about all other social media platforms, states being consumed with Washington, & the covid vaccine...Then you really nailed the whole website iceshanty dead sea issue with the all outdoor sites being doomed & the NFL sucks...Wow, thanks for clearing that all up...
MAKES TOTAL SENSE...IF YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT IT...
To answer your question...We are definitely not talking the same language...No interest in talking that spewed jibberish that belongs east of here...So make that mental note that you mentioned & thanks for all the nothing !!

See?  This is EXACTLY why people quit posting.  Basically telling people to shut up and go away-  Well, they will! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:31 PM »
See?  This is EXACTLY why people quit posting.  Basically telling people to shut up and go away-  Well, they will! ;)

What? Are you serious??
Was told earlier in the thread that it was because of all the other social media platforms slowly dying, the states being consumed by Washington & the Covid vaccine...
Oh my gosh.....So confused now.....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:35 PM »

:clap: That would totally ruin the trip !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:37 PM »
I'm very free with the "how" and "what" but will never publicly share a "where".

About the same here esox_xtm .....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:40 PM »
There are “guides” in Maine who sell consultations for 50$. All the waypoints, google maps directions, the whole thing, flies/bait to use. Anyone with 50$ can get locations. Such a shame.

I want to say unbelievable, but in todays world I cannot...You're right tho...What a shame...

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2023, 01:49 PM »
As a general newcomer it IS, to me it doesn't seem like this place is very dead. Mostly it's a lot of posts that don't pertain to me, and I'm also only on it for small windows during the day so most of my time is catching up on what is relevant to me during those times, or reading old threads for what I wanted to know rather than make a new thread.

Maybe also worth pointing out, message boards like this are a relic of the past, vs say even sites like reddit. I'm not exactly an old timer, but it's been a long time since I've been on a classic style forum. For many younger folk, the UI probably seems completely alien to them.

All in all I love this place and it takes me back to the old fly fishing forums I grew up on. Im recognizing though, there are some names who have a lot more time to post than others....
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.