The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Underwater camera
« on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:19 PM »
I've been thinking about getting one for a long time and shopped around extensively.  Everybody seems to have a favorite, but I found one online at the Aqua Vu site for under $100 and bought it today.  It's about cell phone sized and probably limited but normally they go for over $200.  The older i get the less weight I want to carry so will accept slightly reduced performance for portability.  Anyway, they seemed to have some very good deals on factory refurbished models and shipping was only $7.  My last toy purchase was difficult to sneak by the wife.  She wears glasses but when I pulled in with a new boat behind the jeep, she noticed :o.  Perhaps this one will be easier to hide ;D

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 02:01 PM »
I have a different version, but I really like mine.  Can see what kind of fish are down there, bait, insects, size of fish, how they react to your lures, color, size, rattles or silent, etc, etc.  You need semi-clear water for best viewing (obviously)...some sunlight helps (although most have a light on them)....and that cord gets annoying deeper than about 20+' if you're hole hopping.

Just a few things that I learned w/ the camera....jigging perch....big pickerel comes in....all the perch bolt...and the perch don't come back!!  I had an idea what was happening based on the FF, but to see it live on camera is just a whole next level of clarity.  Another thing, if you're fishing an area w/ alot of mixed panfish....i usually see crappie up high, then sunfish near the bottom, and then perch closer to the bottom.

Good luck w/ it!   ;D

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I don't expect it to be a cure for lockjaw, but I figure knowing more about what is going on beneath the ice can't be all bad.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Check out a Power Vision Power ray. Saw one being used on a youtube video. This takes underwater camera to a whole new level.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Check out a Power Vision Power ray. Saw one being used on a youtube video. This takes underwater camera to a whole new level.

For about $1700 minimum it should.  Of course, you can always go for the more expensive version.  Interesting idea but a bit over my budget.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2022, 03:39 PM »
For about $1700 minimum it should.  Of course, you can always go for the more expensive version.  Interesting idea but a bit over my budget.

At that price, it should drill the hole, bait the hook, and set the hook when a fish bites lol 😝
(At least you can watch it all happen!)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2022, 11:18 AM »
I only ever set up my camera if I’m fishing from a shack and the water is very clear. Otherwise it’s not with the trouble. But since I prefer to hole hop, I rarely ever do. Especially after I got a panoptix ice package, it shows me everything i really need to know at a glance with hardly any extra setup. It works regardless of water clarity and has a much wider and further range.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2022, 07:42 AM »
My kid bought me one for Christmas.
I doubt I'll use it much but she seems excited about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.