Author Topic: Daytime Walleyes  (Read 8085 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Daytime Walleyes
« on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:27 PM »
Have any of you ever had much luck for walleyes during the day? I can catch plenty of walleyes during the twilight periods of sunset and sunrise, but I am lucky to catch a walleye during the day. I have sonar and seldom see that many during the day. The fish I do see are either trout or won't bite.
This lake I can catch daytime walleyes fairly easily during open water, though it is slow compaired to twilight. What locations and depths should I look for? I fish 10 - 28 feet during twilight periods and usually get 5 to 15 eyes during a 30 minute period on jigging rapalas.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
Re:Daytime Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2003, 10:31 PM »
Mackdaddy

Great question.  Does it seem to be easier at first ice?

Here in New York I fish Honeoye Lake for Walleyes.  The first 2 weeks of ice you can catch Walleyes about any time although first/last light are the hottest.  Once winter sets in then it ususally runs first/last ice and then jigging only.  Forget about tip-ups.  

BUt BUT BUT

I just got a Vexilar and I plan on doing some of my own research now  ;D  Catching them in the day may be just a matter of finding them.  I am at least going to make sure I am around fish.
Rob Taylor

trapdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:44 AM »
i find that early ice you can catch eyes well before dark, but the last hour is usually the best. yesterday i got a good walleye bite two hours before dark, then they quit about an hour before dark. when it comes to eyes you just never know. the more time you can put into fishing during early ice the better as the fish are in a feeding frenzy to pack on a little more weight, in a few more weeks they will really slow down.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:51 PM »
some lakes are very productive during the day but most seem to be murky which likely accounts for sustained action.rivers at the mouth of lakes can also be very productive regardless of water clarity but the rule of thumb seems to be early hours up to and just after sunrise and of course sunset onward. i have never had much luck night fishing except during summer on some favourite lakes which seem to go non-stop-i once guided some fishermen on a summer spot in bright sunlight (stained water) and 2-3 feet with a trolling motor running steady. 2 anglers pulled out over 150 walleye in 2 hours. when we first went there, the looks i got were ::) ::) ::) ::) but they soon changed their approach to catching daytime walleyes.

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2003, 02:41 PM »
Try fishing the deepest part of the lake on the bottom right where the bottom starts to rise, or the basin of the break on the best looking point on that deep water.
We catch them in 50' of water during the day.
If you know there are crappies suspending over deep water then try fishing on the deep side of the school, thats where walleyes hang until low light conditions prevail! ;)

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:14 PM »
My favorite tactic thru the ice! Light line,4-6lb. vanish and size 14 trebles
on tip-ups in 30-32fow on my favorite ice lake. They'll bite all day man it's crazy. Find the forage and find the eyes,if theres perch in the lake the walleyes aren't far away and of course the action is fast and furious right now and it will taper but if  you are on a proven spot hang tight and wait for the runs,it usually pays off. Stay deep and try big fatheads or super small suckers. Goodluck!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2003, 07:10 AM »
just another observation to pass along--wind blown areas especially around the shanty tend to clear the snow cover until its polished--allowing more light to pass thru and also spooks some fish.(it doesn't seem to bother perch).what do you think?? >:(

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:34 AM »
Grumpymoe
Perch have a hard time seeing in the dark. Even though the Walleye and Perch are cousins, the Perch's eyesight isn't even close to the Walleye's. On some of the lakes I fish I try to look for areas that are wind blown clean. Then try to play the angle of the sun to see where I would drill holes.
Cold Feet

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:39 PM »
coldfeet  angle of the sun and windblown areas??hmmmm. where are you drilling holes?? sun side of the clear area or behind??? my lips are sealed ;D ;D ;D ;D

ICESLAYER

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:51 PM »
MY OPINION ON THIS MATTER IS THAT WALLEYE ARE A LIGHT SENSETIVE CREATURE.  IT SEEMS THAT ON THE DARK DAYS THAT ONE CAN CATCH MORE WALLEYE DURING THE DAYTIME HOURS THAN ONE USUALLY WOULD.  IF IT IS SUNNY OUT I PUT 2 OF MY POLES OUT IN DEEPER WATER SAY 25-40 FT DEEP AND CONTINUE TO JIG AT MY FAVORITE DEPTH OF 18-23 FEET.  THE LAKE THAT I NORAMLLY FISH IS 12000 ACRES AND IS USED FOR IRRIGATION.  WHEN FIRST ICE COMES IS IS USUALLY LESS THAN HALF FULL.  AND THAT 40 FEET IS AS DEEP AS YOU CAN GET.  I STILL MANAGE TO CATCH A FEW FISH DURING THE DAY MOST OF THE TIME.  

acsacmboy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:10 AM »
read the post in the goatboys shanty page. good info.

blazen36

« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2004, 11:55 PM »
River Walleyes feed during the day. There are a couple of lakes around where I live that are actually big bays on a river system. Find safe ice near the river channel and you can catch walleyes all day long.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:23 PM »
In my experience, walleyes only bite very active during the day if the day is overcast.
They can bite especially well during a snowstorm too
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.