The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Possession vs. Daily Limits  (Read 2776 times)

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
Possession vs. Daily Limits
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:09 AM »
I'm sure the number of fish being taken out of the lake right now has a lot to do with it. Noticing groups of people spending a few days at a time out there. Guess they are eating lots of fish????

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Possession vs. Daily Limits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:06 PM »
I'm sure the number of fish being taken out of the lake right now has a lot to do with it. Noticing groups of people spending a few days at a time out there. Guess they are eating lots of fish????

I heard a report of a group of about 15 anglers coming up from down south taking 500 eyes out of there since thanksgiving.  Those numbers don't add up to me.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I heard a report of a group of about 15 anglers coming up from down south taking 500 eyes out of there since thanksgiving.  Those numbers don't add up to me.

That's really only 6 days of limiting out for each angler.
It could be possible.
Remme

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:31 PM »
The one time I'm thinking of, they were only there for a weekend. No more than four days at the most.

Limit is 6 a day or 12 in posession. That doesnt mean 6 every day for 6 days.  Doubt me feel free to ask a warden if you can keep 36 walleye if you fish 6 days.
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:19 AM »

Limit is 6 a day or 12 in posession. That doesnt mean 6 every day for 6 days.  Doubt me feel free to ask a warden if you can keep 36 walleye if you fish 6 days.

You are absolutely correct. I was working on the assumption that those people had made multiple trips since thanksgiving. Seems like a tough thing to do anyway.
Remme

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:00 AM »
   Fish story :%$#!:

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:00 AM »

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:03 AM »
I've always interpreted the possession limit is the same as the daily limit in the Wyoming regs. 6 Walleyes. Don't see where they say a 2 day possession limit like other states. I've talked to a warden about this. I doubt they eat 6 fish before the next day.

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Yeah. I think possession limit is one daily limit. I have a no-freeze policy on fish. I eat them fresh and never have any in possession at home when I go to the lake.

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Yeah. I think possession limit is one daily limit. I have a no-freeze policy on fish. I eat them fresh and never have any in possession at home when I go to the lake.

Your right. However, there are exceptions to that.  I just happened to look at bighorn res and its says 6 limit.  12 possesion. 
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Yes you are correct. But Keyhole is not one of them exceptions, which makes them numbers even worse.

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Yes you are correct. But Keyhole is not one of them exceptions, which makes them numbers even worse.

Agreed.  Not sure why i thought keyhole was 12 in posession.  Guess its a good thing i only keep a couple!  Im wondering if maybe those fellas didnt mean they had 500 crappie?  Just a thought i guess
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Agreed.  Not sure why i thought keyhole was 12 in posession.  Guess its a good thing i only keep a couple!  Im wondering if maybe those fellas didnt mean they had 500 crappie?  Just a thought i guess

500 crappie between 15 people would be within the law of 50 per person.

The way I read and understand the regs, if I fish today and keep 3 walleye in my fridge,  I can fish tomorrow and bring 3 more home totaling 6 in possession.   If I keep 6 the second day I am over my possession limit and can be wrote a ticket.   

Alcova has a 12 per day or in possession for walleye, you can even go there and spear 12 of them if you want to. 
Don

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:06 PM »
The way I read and understand the regs, if I fish today and keep 3 walleye in my fridge,  I can fish tomorrow and bring 3 more home totaling 6 in possession.   If I keep 6 the second day I am over my possession limit and can be wrote a ticket.   

Alcova has a 12 per day or in possession for walleye, you can even go there and spear 12 of them if you want to.

jopes:

Your understanding of the possession limit is spot on.

However, when it comes to Alcova and walleye spearing, the spearing must be done with an underwater spear gun and the person doing the spearing must be completely submerged.  And, like you said, the underwater spear gun daily and possession limit on walleye at Alcova is 12.  In other waters of Wyoming (except Area 4 - Green River drainage) where underwater spear gun fishing is allowed, the daily and possession limit is 2 walleye when taken with an underwater spear gun.

In Wyoming Fishing Area 4, the Green River drainage, walleye are considered a nongame fish and unlimited harvest is allowed.  Harvested walleye must be killed immediately. 

ClearCreek

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Are we supposed to read your mind? What lake???

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Are we supposed to read your mind? What lake???

This was split off from the Keyhole Reports & Conditions.

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:24 PM »
It would be pretty tough to catch 500 walleye wouldn't it?  They must of been talking crappies...

The report I heard was 500 walleye by a group since ice up at thanksgiving.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:41 PM »
The report I heard was 500 walleye by a group since ice up at thanksgiving.

IF this story is true and they did keep 500 walleye and everything about them being caught was legal, would that still be a big problem?  Just want peoples opinion on this scenario.

ClearCreek

Offline Gr8whitehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:31 AM »
According to the definition in the Regs the "Possession Limit" means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be in possession at any time in any form.  Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession.  Possession limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished.

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Yeah from the legal stand point it is ok. The point is the fishing probably wasn't legal. I think to many people believe possession limit is 2 or 3 days of limits like others states. I highly doubt the guys that are eating their 6 fish after they get off the ice then going out the next day.

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I don't know what the truth is, but I'm leaning towards them being crappie. I don't think anybody or group can catch that many walleye since Thanksgiving, unless it was the Thanksgiving of 2010. What worries me more is the shear number of walleye takin in the past couple of years and we haven't received a successful stocking in that period. I hope we had some good natural reproduction this past spring. Game and Fish spring sampleing will tell the condition of our walleye population in a few months. Maybe we should all practice some conservation in the meantime.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:46 AM »
I don't know what the truth is, but I'm leaning towards them being crappie. I don't think anybody or group can catch that many walleye since Thanksgiving, unless it was the Thanksgiving of 2010. What worries me more is the shear number of walleye takin in the past couple of years and we haven't received a successful stocking in that period. I hope we had some good natural reproduction this past spring. Game and Fish spring sampleing will tell the condition of our walleye population in a few months. Maybe we should all practice some conservation in the meantime.

Agreed. I'll be interested to see the results of spring sampling as well.  Sounds like game and fish has been expecting good natural reproductions the last couple years with the good water levels.  Its led to a good class year for walleye this year.  In all honesty, a couple 18-20" eyes is all it takes for most people to have a good fish fry.

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:10 PM »
I don't know if I could eat that much fish either, but is it illegal to catch fish for your neighbor down the street?  Or your aunt that loves fish but doesn't fish?  Is it legal to catch fish and give them away?  I'm all for the "If it's not illegal then to each their own", but how does the law see giving fish to others?  Not in your possession anymore.  Could be how they did it, but yeah, 500 eyes iced is like shooting a 360" bull a 180" muley and a 84" goat with the bow all the same week.  Can it be done? Yes.  Pretty freaking lucky and/or good? Yes.  Likely? No.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I don't know if I could eat that much fish either, but is it illegal to catch fish for your neighbor down the street?  Or your aunt that loves fish but doesn't fish?  Is it legal to catch fish and give them away?  I'm all for the "If it's not illegal then to each their own", but how does the law see giving fish to others?  Not in your possession anymore.  Could be how they did it, but yeah, 500 eyes iced is like shooting a 360" bull a 180" muley and a 84" goat with the bow all the same week.  Can it be done? Yes.  Pretty freaking lucky and/or good? Yes.  Likely? No.
As to your question of "is it legal to give fish away?", the answer is yes. I just confirmed with a warden, the two ways to rid yourself of game or fish of possession is to eat them, or give them away. One caveat however, you may give game or fish to someone at their domicile (no transport of game or fish) and they would not need a license or interstate game tag. If say you were at the boat ramp, and you gave fish to your aunt right there, she then would need a license or an interstate game tag in order to transport the fish legally. You could not catch your limit, give it away at the ramp, and then go harvest more fish in the same day. Your daily limit was already reached even though you no longer possess any. Hope this helps.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:35 PM »

It is addressed in the regulations ;)

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Thanks Bio.  That's how I always understood the law to read as well.  Just pointing out for the sake of discussion that it could be done legally, but pretty amazing at that.  You getting any time off to hit the ice this winter?  Hit me up if you make it over.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:56 PM »
As to your question of "is it legal to give fish away?", the answer is yes. I just confirmed with a warden, the two ways to rid yourself of game or fish of possession is to eat them, or give them away. One caveat however, you may give game or fish to someone at their domicile (no transport of game or fish) and they would not need a license or interstate game tag. If say you were at the boat ramp, and you gave fish to your aunt right there, she then would need a license or an interstate game tag in order to transport the fish legally. You could not catch your limit, give it away at the ramp, and then go harvest more fish in the same day. Your daily limit was already reached even though you no longer possess any. Hope this helps.

IT is unlawful to:
-To sell, barter, dispose of, or abandon, or obtain by sale or barter, any edible portion of any game fish in this state.

-To take game fish for another person

WGFFishBio, What your saying is legal to me by the regs where it says it is unlawful to take game fish for another person.  That makes me believe it is against the law to give game fish away to others?
Don

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:41 AM »

WGFFishBio, What your saying is legal to me by the regs where it says it is unlawful to take game fish for another person.  That makes me believe it is against the law to give game fish away to others?
Good catch, but that refers to the idea of "party hunting". In other words, if two fisherman were in a boat and fishing Glendo, one angler could not keep 10 walleye, while the other angler only keeps 2 walleye, even though between the two of them they are not over the daily limit. In this case, the good fisherman was "taking" fish for the not so good fisherman. You are still allowed to give your fish away if you so choose as I described above. Hope this helps.

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I think its a little strange that some of that Cheyenne group haven't made any comments on this thread knowing that a few of them are members on here.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:34 AM »
I think its a little strange that some of that Cheyenne group haven't made any comments on this thread knowing that a few of them are members on here.

Maybe we can call them out....I met a group from Cheyenne coming off the ice as we were all leaving for the night, and talked to them for a few.  I think it was a week or two after Thanksgiving.  They had caught some fish but they definitely weren't on a 500 eye pace.  ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.