Author Topic: New Homemade Rig  (Read 3694 times)

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
New Homemade Rig
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I am going to experiment with something new this winter. This past year I have become heavily involved in carp fishing and using a hair rig all year long has led me to the idea of tying a one to pike hook and attemping to use the method with live bait.

My goal is to make it easier to hook the fish given the amount of times pike take large bait sideways. I also hate those QS rigs, I think they are way too bulky and I don't like having all that wire around your bait. I think this type of rig makes for an excellent bottom presentation, while maintaing a wide open hook. I'm not quite sure about suspended, I know the weight of the hook would bog a small minnow down but it shouldn't for a large one.

If you aren't familar with the rig, the bait would be impaled by a loader with a hook on the end to grab the loop of the hair. Then using a plastic stopper (not shown) the bait will be pinned to the hook, so the hook will be completely free hanging off the bait.

Any thoughts on the idea?

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: New Homemade Rig
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Interesting but I dont think  grasp it 100% can you post up a fully rigged one?

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hey Swamp, I will tomorrow. All of my trapped bait is kept in my parents garage. For now though possibly this would help, heres what a hair rig looks like with carp bait on it. ;)

Updated picture below..

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Here is a picture to show you roughly what I am talking about. I used a smaller shiner simply because it was already dead. This rig is meant to be used with a much heavier bait... say in the 6-9" range.

Thoughts?

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Looks like it would work to me.  Is it a pain to rig out in the cold?  That would be my only concern. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:08 PM »
You never know untill you try, but I think they should work for you EAD.

Good luck with them. :tipup:

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Thank you for the good words Gambell and WW.

Surprisingly, it actually wouldn't be a pain to rig out in the cold as it only takes a few seconds. To bait the rig you would need a bait needle, and the plastic stoppers come in cards of 100 and are 30-50 cents/card. (Both are Carp fishing materials) The needle is just a thin wire with a small hook on the end to grab the loop of the 'hair' with. Then you just slide the bait off the needle onto the hair.  Heres a good link so you can visualize it. http://www.cookplex.com/fishguys/resources/gear.jpg

With dead bait it will be no problem, but with live bait there will have to be some experimenting. Depending on whether or not the bait slips off the rig, I may have to add some foam to the other side of the bait to help pin it to the rig. This may or may not be an issue though as the live bait should try to run from the rig, thus keeping itself secure.

Hopefully it will be give me some better results over a plain old hook. I like the idea of a QS, but I hate how bulky they are and therefore have never considered using one.

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Has anybody tried this rig yet? if so how did it work out for you?  I have a few ideas of what I would like to do with this rig to modify it but just have not had the time yet.  anyfeed back would be great.

D3

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:26 PM »
what sized hook is that in the pic. is the minnow going to survive the needle going through itself? looks like it will work fine, i think you might have better swimming bait with a finer hook, make sure you have lots tied up incase the rig gets cut off
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:24 PM »
That looks like a great Idea :o I've tried circle hooks for pike. I don't think the hook is engineered for the pikes maw. I never hooked one using a circle hook, lost the bait, tho. Your rig MIGHT  be the answer.
It definitely should work with a variety of short shank hooks.
Good thinking !! :clap:
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:12 PM »
i think they do that stuff in saltwater alot, try lookin up saltwater live bait rigs and im sure you will get alot of info. they to fish big lively bait for big fish with big hooks. give it atry.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.