New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Massive Muskie  (Read 18807 times)

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Massive Muskie
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I'd like to hear from the guys that caught it that they were not targeting muskies, but probably won't. It would be too bad if a fish like that ended up with a gut full of treble hooks.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Forget wall mounts you kill the fish and diminish the chances of having another muskie that size to catch again down the road. Replica's are the way to go. It may not be as detailed but you know how big it was and the details why does it matter?

Offline fireman7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:15 PM »
i vote for the replicas. last longer and the memories can only be mounted in your mind anyways.

but anywho. congrats to the guy who caught. great pic. i woulda done the same. great example of a trophy catch and release!

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:27 PM »
I agree replicas and nice fish and congrates on the release.
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:33 PM »
That top fish is def a tiger .those aren't juvenile markings...and it came from conesus. They don't have pures  ;)

Not so much the color as was mentioned earlier. that can vary by body of water etc but the distinctly alternating rows of dots and bars is a giveaway.

also the shape of the tail

Offline Phatpeoplerock

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a Crappie Day!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:57 PM »
BEAUTIFUL FISH!!! Def would have a replica made!!! Not sure about the whole not taking pictures thing... If it were me I would have had a friend bust off a million of them while nursing the fish back into the water to make a more realistic replica! Sick fish, can't wait to get my hands on one like that open water some day!!!

Offline ugp685

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:30 PM »
It's a chain pickerel...they get big out that way ;D

On a serious note....that is one amazing fish.  I would no doubt have taken a picture too...that is a once in a lifetime fish and they said the fish was released unharmed in less than a minute. I am not sure of the official regulations besides musky being closed but I see the only issue with this is if they were intentionally fishing for muskies, which should be a big no-no in anyones book, but since they didn't say that was the case I assume it was a lucky/incidental catch.

Beautiful fish....def. get a replica made!

Offline PerchSlayer123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:30 PM »
 :o :o :o Wow Amazing  :o :o :o
New member to IceShanty

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Nice fish and you did the right thing!   Take a picture and let it go. 

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:33 PM »
 I recently caught a 75 inch 80 lb Muskie. Released it right away .No photo. You believe I caught the fish right?  ;D
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:09 AM »
I recently caught a 75 inch 80 lb Muskie. Released it right away .No photo. You believe I caught the fish right?  ;D

definitely, definitely. no doubt about it.  :P :tipup:

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:12 AM »
 :o :o  :clap:
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:17 AM »

Reminds me of when i caught nessi swiming in my pool

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Where is the pic i dont see it on his first post
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:32 AM »
get out the popcorn, this thread is really rockin' now   :flex:  .....Thanks JRM!
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Wow :o  Nice monster you got there :tipup:

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Grumpy2 is absolutely right here. It's a great fish, but even taking it out of the water and snapping a pic is a violation of the regs. as any fish caught out of season must be immediately returned to the water (ie. no pics). Not taking away from the great catch and the fact that this is wonderful fish, or that what was done here is nothing compared to what happened last year, but the regs are the regs, and if it was me or i was with friends that caught it, then it wouldn't have been taken out for a picture, and certainly wouldn't end up on the web (as this is a major reason the guys last year were found/busted).

Are you on drugs, anybody who wouldnt have taken a quick pic is insane :cookoo:.  If this guy gets in trouble because it was out of the water for ten minutes it would be a shame, the main thing is that he released it!!

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:43 PM »
nope, not on drugs and yes, it would be a shame if they were cited. it's a shame my post seemed to inflame so many - that wasn't the intent. There are many people that don't know that taking a pic with a fish that's out of season is a violation of the regs, that's the only reason it was pointed out. I've seen people ticketed by DEC for less. I also believe that the pics posted on the web last year is the main reason those guys got caught, and I didn't want anybody here facing a ticket for the same if this pic was left up - even though, as I already stated, this in no way rises to the same level of what happened last year.

So yes, for those that don't know and might want to know the information, it's a violation of the regs to do anything but remove the hooks and immediately return an out of season fish to the water. If a pic gets taken by an on-looker as the hooks are being taken out then that's one thing, but posing for a group shot is another. How sportsmen abide by and apply the regs is up to them - I'm not casting judgment on anyone here and I'm not apologizing either, that's just the law. 

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:04 PM »
well said, goinhungry

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Here's what I would like to know ??What were they fishing for when they caught that fish? Pickerel ?? There are no other large fish like pike in that lake.. Targeting muskies out of season is illegal weather you plan to release them or not !! I bet they didn't know what they were fishing for..... I smell a ticket coming !!

Why would you want a replica made of a fish you caught out of season? Wow man nice fish you got on the wall !! Thanks !!it's a muskie and I caught it out of season !!  :flex: :flex: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:59 AM »
My brother caught a 50" musky last year cut his hand on the teeth and gill plate the blood was his not the fishes took pic released fish somehow pic ended up on here and ticket was issued for failure to release the fish immediately people need to know the full story before they judge . oh yeah it was caught on 6lb test on a tipdown perch fishing.

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:33 AM »
people need to know the full story before they judge

can you elaborate?  your brother didn't release the fish immediately, broke the law and got a ticket for it. sounds straightforward.

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:02 AM »
everybody assumes the blood is the fishes when in fact it is my brothers that fish swam away unharmed other than a sore mouth and tired

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:23 AM »
chucknmel - no one on here was judging. Merely, just pointing out that the fish wasn't in season, and therefore by law even taking a picture of it out of the water is illegal. As Nitro said, your brother did technically break the law. The fact that the blood was his doesn't matter. It is true that if he harmed the fish and it was the fish's blood, then that may make things worse in the eyes of an enforcement officer, but the law was still broken nonetheless by not immediately releasing the fish (holding up and posing for a picture is not "immediately releasing a fish) and the fact that it was his blood doesn't lessen the technical violation of the law. That's the main point about what was being said here so that the poster or people in the picture could make an informed decision (if they were unfamiliar with the technical reading of the law) about whether to leave the picture up knowing that it may result in a ticket. They have, and that's their choice and I'm not judging - that's just the law.

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:33 AM »
the problem is it was not him or any of our group that posted the pic in the first place. we dont know who posted it but they should keep to their own buis. if he wanted his pic on here he would have posted it we just wanted a pic of the fish after all a 50" muskie through the ice on 6# test is the fish of a lifetime. now that memory is tainted cause people cant mind their own buis.

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Great Catch!  Can't believe that came that came though a 6" hole....Wow
That fish probably has a 26" to 28" Girth. It would be scraping coming out of a 9" hole !! ;D ;D

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:46 AM »
I dont have a strong opinion, but regardless of my stance on whether people should or shouldn't post pics of other peoples fish, it still stands that the root cause of any picture getting posted is taking the picture in the first place and clearly that is solely within the fisherman's control.

not judging either, but as they say, if ya cant do the time, don't do the crime. ya have to decide for yorself if its worth the potential consequences. for me, it would be tainted right off the bat by it being out of season, as esox v said.

Offline pikedood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Very nice fish for sure and count me as one who would proudly have his picture taken with it in or out of season!

I also call BULL on the story about being ticketed for a picture posted on the net - unless you have your name & address & location on the pic I doubt the DEC is going to all the trouble of identifying the offender for such a non-sense ticket as then they also have to prove where\\what state the fish in the pic was caught.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:59 AM »
  I'm going with Tiger Muskie on this one !      A true barred muskie has no markings on the cheeks and gill plates.
A Tiger Muskie does !   The muskie these guys caught has tell tale cheek markings of a Tiger Muskie.    The bars on a true muskie are consistent and not broken.   The markings on this muskie seem to be broken and not consistent.     A sure way to tell would be the tips of the tail !    A Tiger has rounded tips whereas a true muskie has pointed tips on their tail ;)
i agree! Tiger. and one hella nice one too!  ;D Notice the bars go over the back... ;) caudal fin looks rounded.

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:00 PM »
the problem is it was not him or any of our group that posted the pic in the first place. we dont know who posted it but they should keep to their own buis. if he wanted his pic on here he would have posted it we just wanted a pic of the fish after all a 50" muskie through the ice on 6# test is the fish of a lifetime. now that memory is tainted cause people cant mind their own buis.
Yea.. I can relate to that !! That Sucks !! It's very cool that you guys released it. It looked like it was in great shape. As long as that wasn't the target species.. I say no harm no foul .        

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.