New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Massive Muskie  (Read 18845 times)

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Massive Muskie
« Reply #90 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:03 PM »
i agree! Tiger. and one hella nice one too!  ;D Notice the bars go over the back... ;) caudal fin looks rounded.
Knuckle Heads... If it's a tiger.. than who put it there ?? No pike for it to be a natural hybrid.

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Exactly! ;D

adam2000

« Reply #92 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:14 PM »
who cares if its out of season thats a monster, congrats, why are you all so quick to point fingers, anyone of you would be proud of that fish and would of took a pic, there are 100's of pics of bass on here and noone says anything, but a guys catches a monster and he gets the 5th degree, jealous anyone

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #93 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:23 PM »
In season or out of season that is an Exceptional catch. Awesome !!! Awesome!!! Awesome!!!!
FJB

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Adam2k- Just pointing out the law...what folks choose to do is their own business.  

With veeery few exceptions, Bass are NOT out of season, you just can't keep them. That's why they call it a 'catch and release' season. The 'immediate' part of release doesn't apply to c+r season so pics ok

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #95 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Now here's a question: What if you leave the hook in the mouth pose for the picture and as your taking the picture take the hook out? Is that breaking the law?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Adam2k- Just pointing out the law...what folks choose to do is their own business.  

With veeery few exceptions, Bass are NOT out of season, you just can't keep them. That's why they call it a 'catch and release' season. The 'immediate' part of release doesn't apply to c+r season so pics ok

Exactly.

Loudmouth879 - you need to read the reg and decide for yourself. As I understand it you take the fish out, remove the hooks and immediately return it to the water unharmed. Anything that prolongs the process may be a violation. Now if someone snaps a pic while you're taking the hooks out then that's probably ok, but if you leave the hooks in simply so you can pose for a pic then my understanding is that it's a violation. The guys from last year DID get a ticket, based in no small part to the pictures posted here by others and that was the intent of pointing out the regs - not to bash these guys or judge them, but to inform on the law in case they were unaware and to also inform others that may not know. There's no bashing going on here, and that is a phenominal fish, it's just out of season.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Pulled this directly off the DEC website....
Catch and release means catching and immediately releasing the caught fish without harm. Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm. Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device.

so as long as it wasn't out of water very long he was legal...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #98 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Or maybe they thought it was a tiger

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:38 PM »
fishtank, again, that's C&R - not out of season rules. That applies in areas like bass C&R season, not here where the season is closed.

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Fishtank I'm not one to argue with the ECOs, they presumably know the regulations...pic taken during closed season, ticket issued.

pic ended up on here and ticket was issued for failure to release the fish immediately  

Offline sinkergurl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing makes me happy
« Reply #101 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Exactly.

Loudmouth879 - you need to read the reg and decide for yourself. As I understand it you take the fish out, remove the hooks and immediately return it to the water unharmed. Anything that prolongs the process may be a violation. Now if someone snaps a pic while you're taking the hooks out then that's probably ok, but if you leave the hooks in simply so you can pose for a pic then my understanding is that it's a violation. The guys from last year DID get a ticket, based in no small part to the pictures posted here by others and that was the intent of pointing out the regs - not to bash these guys or judge them, but to inform on the law in case they were unaware and to also inform others that may not know. There's no bashing going on here, and that is a phenominal fish, it's just out of season.

I for one didn't know that...thanks for the info...from now on the camera will snap as the hook is being removed before it's released back into its home.
FJB

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:47 PM »
i for 1 woulda took a pic also. Just wouldnt of posted it on this site so all the jealous fisherman wouldnt give me a hard time and so the dec that has nothing better to do than look for illegal pics couldnt give me a ticket

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:49 PM »
i for 1 woulda took a pic also. Just wouldnt of posted it on this site so all the jealous fisherman wouldnt give me a hard time and so the dec that has nothing better to do than look for illegal pics couldnt give me a ticket
X2

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Northern, I think most people are smart enough. if you read the full thread, both the pic that started this thread and the one resulting in a ticket last year metioned a few posts ago were posted by someone other than the fisherman himself.  As I said before, that's the risk one takes when a pic is snapped...the illegal act documents itself, so to speak.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:00 PM »
well not many people fish where i do so i wouldnt have that problem. Thats what i like about the canal. No one really fishes it. And my group has caught good size muskies and northerns in the past few years. And that is not targeting either species. But im glad no one is ever there to take pics of fish besides my buddies

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:11 PM »
well not many people fish where i do so i wouldnt have that problem. Thats what i like about the canal. No one really fishes it. And my group has caught good size muskies and northerns in the past few years. And that is not targeting either species. But im glad no one is ever there to take pics of fish besides my buddies
Those are tiger muskies in the canal and the season opens and closes with pike. COMPLETELY LEGAL !! Photo all you want. Not sure why you don't get that !!

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Jealousy !! Yea !! that's it !!  AND FYI....The DEC are always trolling Hunting/ Fishing sites like this.. catching people who break the Law.

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Wow...imagine if you took several pictures, I mean the fish would be out of the water for like 5 more seconds! From what I've read, sounds like the law is clear cut (and a complete joke). Identifying the difference between a tiger muskie and a muskie doesn't sound too clear cut to someone who's not very familiar with them. So...the next time a novice posts a pic of a fish that they caught and released asking what kind of fish it is they should probably be tarred, feathered and shoved down their own hole in the ice. Sound rediculous?  Just as redicilous as fining someone for "taking the extra time" of getting a picture of a maybe once in a lifetime catch.

To the poster, thanks for showing us the pic...that's an awesome fish in season or out. If you do get ticketed, fight it. If the fine stands, please post again, we'll have a collection and it won't cost you a cent!
  ;D

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:45 PM »
there is also true muskies in the canal. I have seen 2 caught in the last 3 years

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:51 PM »
ive tried finding where it says it is illegal to take pic of a fish out of season in the dec hand guide. Could someone help me out with that. I believe you guys that say it is illegal i would just like to see it for myself. And i do understand essox. Not tryin to be a pain in the a**

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #111 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:54 PM »
If a walleye is 14 1/2" but I wasn't aware of it .. not that I was "ignorant" of the law stating they have to be 15" .. which can only be confirmed if I measured the fish .. once I have it measured and confirmed it's illegal .. could I be "ticketed" .. for not immediately releasing an under-sized fish which is "technically" illegal? By measuring it, I didn't "immediately" release an undersized fish. Geeezzz-s .. always a few heros out there to right all that is wrong in the world .. Some people need to get a life .. either way .. the guys who take pictures or the guys who want blood from those who took a picture .. lol .. somebody needs to get a life .. you decide who you are in that scenario ! lol ..
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:08 PM »
 ;D ;D

Yeah, I know someone who caught a nice sturgeon a couple years ago. Had his picture taken with it and was even hanging at gander. Having heard about this law, I'm surprised he's not in prison!  ;D Oh..that's right...it wasn't a muskie.

Edit: before someone screams bloody murder because I didn't acually say it, YES he put the sturgeon back in the drink.

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:12 PM »
. Identifying the difference between a tiger muskie and a muskie doesn't sound too clear cut to someone who's not very familiar with them.   ;D
WEll !!  How about when your fishing on a lake that doesn't have tiger muskies. I bet you could figure that one out !!

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:15 PM »
there is also true muskies in the canal. I have seen 2 caught in the last 3 years
  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: YEA... OK !!

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Esox- i have no reason to lie. 3 years ago i close to a 40" muskie. Didnt measure it. Just snapped a pic and sent it back. A few weeks after that my buddies nephew come out with us for his first ice trip and caught a little under 30" muskie. It to went back. Both fish were definately true muskies and had a real nice blue tint to both fish.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:46 PM »
I dont have a strong opinion, but regardless of my stance on whether people should or shouldn't post pics of other peoples fish, it still stands that the root cause of any picture getting posted is taking the picture in the first place and clearly that is solely within the fisherman's control.

not judging either, but as they say, if ya cant do the time, don't do the crime. ya have to decide for yorself if its worth the potential consequences. for me, it would be tainted right off the bat by it being out of season, as esox v said.
A FISH IS "TAINTED" because it was caught out of season, give me a break.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Esox- i have no reason to lie. 3 years ago i close to a 40" muskie. Didnt measure it. Just snapped a pic and sent it back. A few weeks after that my buddies nephew come out with us for his first ice trip and caught a little under 30" muskie. It to went back. Both fish were definately true muskies and had a real nice blue tint to both fish.
[/quotofNMADDNESS you just incriminated your self. KIDDING.

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Check the fins !! you can't go by coloration. I have caught tigers with all different coloration. And I'm not saying your lying.
 FYI... I probably would have taken the pic too. My Question was... what were they fishing for ?? There is only one other esocid in those lakes and those are pickerel . People get confused all the time with that lake.. and I wouldn't have been surprised if they went there specifically to fish for tigers. As it turns out that doesn't seem to be the case and that's great. No harm no foul..  Great fish !! Awesome pic !! And it's very cool that they released it !! END OF STORY !!  

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Esox-well now you got me curious about the muskie ive caught. I always thought it was a true muskie but ill have to show someone who knows a little more than me to find out for sure. Either way the blue in it made it a beautiful lookin fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.