The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Early Coastal Smelt Run???  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Early Coastal Smelt Run???
« on: Mar 12, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Things are warming up pretty quick coastal!

I’m thinking we might see the run a couple weeks early.

wadduyah think?

Anyone know water temps for the run?

Yeah, I could search on line, but you guys know everything!    :flex: :thumbsup: :icefish: ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Early Coastal Smelt Run???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2020, 03:06 PM »
How does that work to catch smelt during the run?

When I was a kid in Duluth, MN, we had smelt coming from Lake Superior and running up the small streams and rivers that ran into Lake Superior.

We would get on waders and hip boots and dip net the smelt. On a good evening you could get a laundry tub full.

One time they ran so thick in a small stream that I could put both hands into the water by my feet and catch 5-7smelt at a time by hand. They were literally bouncing off my boots.

Those times are all gone now. They finally controlled the Lamprey Eels that were killing the Lake Trout. The Lake Trout rebounded and ate the smelt and the amazing smelt runs are now consigned to history.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Thought all coastal smelting was closed

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Thought all coastal smelting was closed
Still the 2 qt limit around here, I believe.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Still the 2 qt limit around here, I believe.
I thought that was for inland smelt, hook and line/dip net. Never done it so not sure, but sea smelt like from the smelt camps have something like a 5qt limit, but only a few rivers were open to taking of smelt, just hook and line, no dipping.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2020, 07:44 PM »
https://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational-fishing/regs-tips/documents/2020_searun_smelt_regs.pdf
Perfect! Thanks!!

" Statewide: It shall be unlawful to stand in the water of any coastal river, brook or stream while fishing for smelts.

Zone 1: From the New Hampshire border to Owl’s Head Light in Rockland.
It shall be unlawful to fish for, take or possess smelts, except by hook and line between October 1 and December 31, or by hook and line through the ice, while ice is present. It shall be unlawful to fish for, take, or possess more than 4 quarts of smelts per day.
From March 15 through June 30, both days inclusive, it is legal to fish for smelts in the coastal waters of the State by hook and line only through the ice, while ice is present. During this season the bag limit is 2 quarts.

Zone 2:
East of Owl’s Head in Rockland to Naskeag Point in Brooklin.
From March 15 to June 30, both days inclusive, it is legal to fish for smelts in the coastal waters of the State using hand dip net or hook and line. During this season the bag limit is 1 quart. No smelt fishing on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s.
From July 1 through March 14, both days inclusive, it is legal to fish for smelts in the coastal waters of the State using hook and line. It shall be unlawful to fish for, take, or possess more than 4 quarts of smelts per day.

Zone 3: East of Naskeag Point to the head of tide on the St. Croix River.
• From March 15 through June 30, both days inclusive, it is legal to fish for smelts in the coastal
waters of the State using hand dip net or hook and line. It shall be unlawful to fish for, take, or
possess more than 2 quarts of smelts per day.
• From July 1 through March 14, both days inclusive, there is no daily limit, but fishermen are limited
to hook and line or hand dip net.”

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2020, 05:17 AM »
I'm all set for a while. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught 156 in 2 1/2 hours. She wont eat them so I'm all set.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2020, 06:38 PM »
Thoughts? They gonna run early? Water temp smelt start the run in?

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Thoughts? They gonna run early? Water temp smelt start the run in?

Usually I’m catching trout and salmon with ice out tactics in late April. I think this year it will be late March early April. Long pond is almost completely open and echo is just about to come undone. Eagle was good enough ice to touge fish for about a week. I got out once on eagle. Short season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.