The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tawas Bay?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
Tawas Bay?
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Does anyone have any fishing reports for the Bay? The Lakers should be stacking up by now. 
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tawas Bay?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Buddy of mine went and said they were seeing more fish but still having trouble getting them to hit....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:21 AM »
I'm hitting it tomorrow. Probably sit on the drop off out from the launch by Jerry's. Going to try and go for lakers & will have a deadstick for walleye and perch. I'll be in a big Clam "Ice Refuge" shanty. Feel free to stop by if you are out there.

I'll let you guys know how I do.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I'm hitting it tomorrow. Probably sit on the drop off out from the launch by Jerry's. Going to try and go for lakers & will have a deadstick for walleye and perch. I'll be in a big Clam "Ice Refuge" shanty. Feel free to stop by if you are out there.

I'll let you guys know how I do.

-Kyle
     Did you make it out?  Looking forward to a report...
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Yea I made it out today. It was a sloooow day. I honestly did not mark one fish. Started out about a half mile off the county launch. After mid-morning made a move to the drop off, a mile out from Jerry’s.

There were only a handful of guys out there and from what I could tell nobody caught anything. I jigged for Lakers the whole time I was out, along with a dead stick. Came up empty. Although,  I did not stay for the evening bite...

From all the spots I hit the ice was in great shape. 20”-23.5”
When my lady got off work she drove her truck out to the Shanty.

Hoping next weekend is better and plan on getting out, maybe try the reef. I think it will be good ice well into Mid-March.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for the report. Too bad you didn't get into them but It looked like a good day to be on the ice. I think your instinct on the reef is correct. that area should be turning on any day now. good luck and keep the awesome reports coming!
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:49 AM »
We use to float your river every summer over there, loved jumping off the train trestle even though it gave you a sore butt for a day or 2.
Good reports this winter Kyle, thanks for your effort. 

Eric

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:10 AM »
As they say.... that's why they call it fishing and not catching. I got minnows Saturday morning at Wellman's and the gentleman mentioned the Lakers should be stacking up around this time.  Went back Sunday afternoon for some sausage and spoke with another gentleman. He mentioned that he'll go out five times and get skunked, then the sixth time it is a great bite. One of those things.

Plan on going out Saturday again, supposed to be a gorgeous day as of now. Will hit the drop off again for some Lakers and if I don't have anything come in will probably hump over to the reef.

Yea Eric, it is a special place if you love the water & woods.

Good luck if you guys get out!

-Kyle

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:46 AM »
This is a great time for Big bay Browns and Burbot too!
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Have anyone tried for the burbot?
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Have anyone tried for the burbot?

JD, I am trying for anything lol. I'll post a report Saturday evening or Sunday.

-Kyle

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Alright fellas. Went out this morning/afternoon. We got skunked, although we marked a few fish. Just no takers.

Shore ice was very iffy. We almost didn’t go out but found a “hop scotch” pattern onto better ice.

Ice was 19” where we drilled and getting rather soft. Lots of “slush ice”coming up from the auger.

All the permanents are off the bay and we were the only ones out there. Had the whole bay to ourselves.

This was our last outing for the season. The AuSable is flowing and saw lots of folks prepping their boats.

Good luck to you all this year. Stay safe.

-Kyle

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Thanks for the report! It was a short winter for sure, Have a great spring. Time to get out the long rods! By the way did you check the marina or the Yacht club? The perch should be moving in.
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:06 AM »
We didn’t check either of them. Probably should have considering we were right there. I’ll probably be taking 2 weeks off.... get the ice gear cleaned up and put away. Then prep all the open water stuff and get out there by the end of March.

There were some guys fishing the river this morning behind the AuSable Inn. Van Etten was open on the north side last weekend. Didn’t bother driving it by it today. Won’t be long until warmer weather.

-Kyle

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:07 AM »
The whirlpool should be stacking with eyes right now ya ever go?

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Drift a minnow ?  ramp area?
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:14 AM »
3/8oz black jig with a minnow.... You'll lose a few but the whirlpool has some goodies if it ain't crowded... Drift a spawn bag under a slip bobber too might get lucky of another sort

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I have not. May have to try that out. Thanks for the info.

-Kyle

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Thanks! I will definitely try this out!   ;D
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.