Author Topic: atv need some advice  (Read 3766 times)

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
atv need some advice
« on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:21 PM »
i was thinking of getting an atv to use for ice fishing  but not sure what to get. All the used stuff looks over priced for something that's 20 years old and the only new thing i can afford is some off brand china thing. What should i do?

Offline mhtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: atv need some advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Hate to say it, keep saving, the season is about over and by a Honda when you get enough saved up ,you wont regret it.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Make sure it's a 4x4.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Not even at the half way point of this ice season. I would suggest going to a store and ask some questions. See what you like and what they suggest. Then look into an older model or you could always put down what you've saved and finance the rest on a new one.

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:36 PM »
is a 4x4 a must i would get a 3 wheeler if the price was right

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I bought a used arctic cat last year and love it. Threw a set of new aggressive pulling tires on it and she will plow through anything. Put a winch and a plow on it and do the driveway too. Whatever you get do yourself a favor and get 4x4. A brand new polaris 850 with power steering would be the ultimate!

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:53 PM »
think that might be out of my price range at this point in my life

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:54 PM »
You get what you pay for, in the very least you want something reliable,  I'm working on getting my second ATV, my first is a 2004 Polaris sportsman, bought it new, still have the wheeler & keeping it when I buy the next one. I'm going with another new Polaris. In my opinion the smartest way to go is save enough to pay cash on a new one, no loan to pay interest on and you're not inheriting someone else's headache.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Re:  3-Wheeler ATV's............  There has been discussion several times on here about using a 3-Wheeler for ice fishing.  Some guys who use them are happy with the results, some are not.  The ones that seem to perform the best have replaced the front wheel with a ski..... similar to a snowmobile ski....... sometimes just attached to the front wheel itself.

I have the same problem myself.  Since hitting the 70 year old mark, walking and dragging a sled is becoming a problem for me and my buddy..... it's time for transportation!!  The high $$$ cost is holding us back also.  Not only do you need a wheeler (or snowmobile), but you also need to buy a trailer to go with it (another big $$$ expense).  Still looking for our "bargain".  Try Craigslist.... we've seen several good looking machines for $600 to $1200, and trailers as low as $400.

Good luck with your search.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Hate to say it, keep saving, the season is about over and by a Honda when you get enough saved up ,you wont regret it.

About over? Barely halfway through.

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:17 AM »
If looking for a bargain word-of-mouth and buying through friends way better than buying from craigslist. Four years ago I picked up a 99 Yamaha Kodiak 400 for $900 from a friend of a friend only needed a battery. I'm 6'3" tall 250 pounds and it goes everywhere the bigger machines go in through the woods it's easier to navigate around trees. Just be patient.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Stay away from 3 wheelers! A buddy of mine was almost killed on one, going down hill. He was going slow down a hill, hit some ice and tumbled. Got hurt, real bad. 4 wheel, 4X4. Ask around at the dealerships. Sometimes you can get a left over for a decent price.

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:28 AM »
That's y they don't make three wheeleers anymore DEATH TRAPS Get a 4X4 used wheeler & hope it don,t snow TOOO much even 4X4 is limited in too much snow
Stay away from 3 wheelers! A buddy of mine was almost killed on one, going down hill. He was going slow down a hill, hit some ice and tumbled. Got hurt, real bad. 4 wheel, 4X4. Ask around at the dealerships. Sometimes you can get a left over for a decent price.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:32 AM »
I use a china made Baja 125cc Storm 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler. I am very mechanical and it take some of my best skills to keep it going, unlike if it was a Honda. Nevertheless, I make it haul 1800lbs quite often. The thing only weighs 200lbs, so I don't walk much on thin ice either. I use a bunch of screws in the tires for traction. But on days like today, with over 14 inches of snow I have to wait for a trail to follow to get out there again. Its days like this I think of a snowmobile again, but that's more expensive and harder for me to fit into the van like the 4 wheeler.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Save your money and buy a decent machine.  Hondas run forever......one of the best machines out there.  Be careful buying used unless you are mechanically savvy and know what to look for.  In my opinion, a lightly used wheeler is not enough of a discount to warrant the difference in price from new to used.  You can buy an older machine that needs some cosmetic work and maybe a few minor repairs for a decent price if you can do the work yourself.  Stay away from anything that has motor issues unless rebuilding motors is your thing.....the clutch and transmission assemblies are pretty complicated.  I bought a new Honda Rancher in 08 and couldn't be happier, no repairs, just service twice a year in my own shop so I can go through it with my own eyes.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2015, 12:33 PM »
I picked up a 2001 Yamaha 400 Big Bear this fall.  In great shape.  Love the thing to take my Otter Cottage anywhere (except now with the deep snow).  Good quality used machines are out there.  Just keep looking.  ;D

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Buy the biggest wheeler you can find. Years ago I bought a 450 yamaha Kodiak thinking it was all I would ever need. Now I have a grizzly 700 and it will be the last machine I will ever buy. I am in my late 50s so I don't wheel like I used to but it will do anything I need to do. Plow, pull out shrubs, drag logs as well as shantys.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Buy the biggest wheeler you can find. Years ago I bought a 450 yamaha Kodiak thinking it was all I would ever need. Now I have a grizzly 700 and it will be the last machine I will ever buy. I am in my late 50s so I don't wheel like I used to but it will do anything I need to do. Plow, pull out shrubs, drag logs as well as shantys.

We have both of those wheelers. And the Kodiak serves just as good as the Grizzly as an ice fishing machine.

FrankM

« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I had a 1983 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler that I bought brand new and it did not do well in ice and snow.  Now I have a 2003 Honda Rancher 4x4 and it does very well on ice and snow.  My only regret is I got the electric shift.  The electrical connection where the wire plugs in for the shifter underneath sucks and I have to keep wiggling it.  If I had it to do over again I would get the foot shift.  Otherwise Hondas are reliable and last a long time. I wouldn't buy any China junk just yet.  Maybe after another 5-10 years of copying Hondas the Chinese stuff might be OK.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:41 PM »
i was thinking of getting an atv to use for ice fishing  but not sure what to get. All the used stuff looks over priced for something that's 20 years old and the only new thing i can afford is some off brand china thing. What should i do?
Come to Tupper Lake this Saturday and enter our fishing derby.  We are giving away 2 brand new 4-wheelers!  All you gotta do is have your name drawn!  Simple!
mike :)

Offline bfelins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:29 PM »
I had a mid 80'3 Honda 3 wheeler. Put a set of chains on the back wheels and it went anywhere on the ice, from deep snow to smooth ice. Just don't be a speedster.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:45 AM »
It's the Ford,Chevy,Dodge thing.What ever folks are driving at the time is the latest and greatest....you have the internet so do a little research on brands,resale values,ease of maintenance ect.....good luck in your search.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:56 AM »
If you buy a used machine, set aside a few bucks for a suspension lift and chains and/or aggressive tires/tracks. One thing I've learned is that ATV's look like they have a ton of clearance while they sit on a showroom floor or garage. The biggest issue with running them on the snow is they get hung up in deep snow on the frame.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Being older I keep a rollin on the ice with my 05 450 Kodiak.  Very reliable and has low and high automatic transmission plus differential loc so when engaged all 4 are going around.  That in itself has saved the day a couple times.  Also it has a pull start if the electric start should fail which I don't think the new ones have.  When it gets deeper I put on ice gripper tire chains on the rear.  It can get high centered with deep snow but has a winch on the front so drill a hole out front and put a 2X4 down the hole for an anchor.

Offline WaterFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:22 PM »
If you can swing for a utv you'll never look back.  I chain all 4 tires and go anywhere.  The extra room is unbeatable.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I have rollin' with Honda ES ATV's for a few years now. The reason why I pick Honda ATV's?....

I beat the ever-loving CRAP out of them ...and they come back for more! No joke!

...And NEVER buy a used ATV from me! LOL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.