Author Topic: Needed-advice on buying an ATV  (Read 10456 times)

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Needed-advice on buying an ATV
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:07 PM »
We couldn't get the grizzly because it doesn't legally hold 2 passangers. They don't make a 2 up machine.

Excellent choice! I went in to buy a Grizzly 700 in 2013 and ended up buying a Can-Am Outlander 800 Max XT instead. I can’t believe how nice this 2up machine is. Even the wife is happy with this purchase.  I have added hand/thumb warmers, windshield, rear box, and it is so comfortable for ice fishing. The 2up option is huge along with the power steering. The V-Twin engine is incredible. I have always been a Honda/Yamaha fan, but Can-Am has turned me away alittle. The true test will be what condition it is in after 10 years of use. Enjoy!
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Another Polaris here. So far, so good for my 2014 570.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Another Polaris here. So far, so good for my 2014 570.

Gotta love those tracks.  I hear the 570 is a very capable machine - did you get power steering?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I'm very happy thus far, this is my first full season with the machine and it's been a blast. I didn't get the PS, my sales person actually talked me out of it. He had me sit on a machine with tracks on gravel, not moving, and told me to turn the bars. I was shocked as to how easy they turned. When I test rode it in the snow, I didn't see a need for the power steering.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I'm very happy thus far, this is my first full season with the machine and it's been a blast. I didn't get the PS, my sales person actually talked me out of it. He had me sit on a machine with tracks on gravel, not moving, and told me to turn the bars. I was shocked as to how easy they turned. When I test rode it in the snow, I didn't see a need for the power steering.
PS is nice, really nice is in deep snow with tight maneuvering - i.e. trails through the woods.   I added PS to my machine (aftermarket) and would never own one without it again.  Did the dealer have any machines with PS for you to test drive?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:53 AM »
They did have one, but it didn't have the tracks on it. I don't use my ATV for trail riding and I don't blaze a lot of trails in the woods to get to the lakes. That said, now I'll probably need it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:13 PM »
They did have one, but it didn't have the tracks on it. I don't use my ATV for trail riding and I don't blaze a lot of trails in the woods to get to the lakes. That said, now I'll probably need it.
Well, you can certainly add it.  There are aftermarket kits - good ones.  ;)

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:21 PM »
We have only put 25 miles on our machine in the last 2 weeks. Still trying to break her in :)
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline bj66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:16 PM »

I have a 2010 Kawasaki Teryx side by side. Its a 750, and if you guys are thinking side by side you need that much motor at least if not more. Right before x-mas I came across a set of used tracks and I snapped them up. So far I love this set up. I have an older quick flip III with the green fabric, and I lay it across the box and strap it down with auger on top of it. Works great this way but is a two man job loading it because it is rather high up to get sled on top of the utv's box. Don't know the weight of it, but I don't push early ice and am very conservative. I would highly recommend the side by side and love my teryx around the farm. Only drawback is you need a 12 foot trailer to haul it around.

Offline IFH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:11 PM »
We ended up purchasing a 2015 Can-Am Outlander MAX 650 xt. It really has all of the specs we wanted and more. Looks like it will be a great quad and definitely worth the money.

Hello ADK11, should have checked out this post earlier. Good choice on your new bike. I started with a Polaris Sportsman 500 great machine but didn't like how the 4 wheel drive system worked. Make a long story short I went with a 2008 Outlander 500 XT. Great machine put over 10,000 km, no problems next bike is a 2014 650 Outlander Max XT. I didn't think the power steering would make much of a difference, I was wrong! I would have got the 500 XT but a friend like to ride with me now so I went with the 650 also wanted the extra power for the tracks.

The tracks are Camoplast T4S. With tracks the bike is 54 inches wide and 9 feet long. It takes just over an hour (this is after the initial set-up) to put them on and 45 minutes to change back to tires. On this set the speed ratio is 0.68, this means if the speedometer is indicating 10 km/h then the actual speed is 6.8 km/h. Depending on the depth of snow with the engine running at 6000 rpm in high gear the actual speed is around 36 km/h. You will find the turning radius is reduced by quit a bit and your mileage will suck. Check the video link at bottom of post.

2008 Outlander with chains, worked good in the conditions but close to its limits.

2014 Outlander Max XT 650

Set-up for Ice Fishing

Here's a short video taken back of the cottage on the hydro line with the tracks
http://vid142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/Alphaalphaalpha/ATV/ATVTracks_zpsfecdd55c.mp4

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Wow those tracks work wonders in that 2 feet of snow  :o We are loving the new bike right now, only 25 miles on it so far. We are still in the process of figuring out what works best for our ice fishing set up. Right now we have a rack on the front for our eskimo power auger and thats it. We are looking to either make or buy a rack for the back that would hold 3 buckets. 1 Bucket holds the vexilar, the other has the rods and tip-ups(which we made rod holders on the outside of the bucket, and dividers on the inside for the tip ups. The other bucket would either hold minnows or dry gloves, snacks and etc. Not really sure on what type of rack to go for which would hold those buckets. I personally think a homeade one would be better than dropping $300 on a factory one, just to make it fit our needs!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Wow those tracks work wonders in that 2 feet of snow  :o We are loving the new bike right now, only 25 miles on it so far. We are still in the process of figuring out what works best for our ice fishing set up. Right now we have a rack on the front for our eskimo power auger and thats it. We are looking to either make or buy a rack for the back that would hold 3 buckets. 1 Bucket holds the vexilar, the other has the rods and tip-ups(which we made rod holders on the outside of the bucket, and dividers on the inside for the tip ups. The other bucket would either hold minnows or dry gloves, snacks and etc. Not really sure on what type of rack to go for which would hold those buckets. I personally think a homeade one would be better than dropping $300 on a factory one, just to make it fit our needs!

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend at least looking the Otter front and rear boxes for your rig.  There's a lot of storage and versatility there.  Shipping may be an issue if you don't have a local stocking dealer though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Hello ADK11, should have checked out this post earlier. Good choice on your new bike. I started with a Polaris Sportsman 500 great machine but didn't like how the 4 wheel drive system worked. Make a long story short I went with a 2008 Outlander 500 XT. Great machine put over 10,000 km, no problems next bike is a 2014 650 Outlander Max XT. I didn't think the power steering would make much of a difference, I was wrong! I would have got the 500 XT but a friend like to ride with me now so I went with the 650 also wanted the extra power for the tracks.

What is the yellow folded up piece in front of your radiator for?  Looks like a piece of wood with hinges?  Thanks.

Offline IFH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:02 PM »
What is the yellow folded up piece in front of your radiator for?  Looks like a piece of wood with hinges?  Thanks.

Hello F1, what you're looking at is a foldaway seat and windbreak.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Great idea, thanks much.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.