Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89366 times)

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #300 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Bump.  Figure someone will be at big creek this weekend. Its open water now except for some coves which might be ok tomorrow or sunday. I'm going to punch a few hole this evening in a secluded spot, I'll post what I find.  Funny last year was so warm, but I was out there on dec. 9th.  This year has been cold, but not much of a difference yet.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #301 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Big Creek is capped now. Won't be long!

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Sitting out here right now with iq. Six inches in coves but also some spots of just over three farther out. Bluegills are all I've came across so far. Great to have some tight lines again

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #303 on: Dec 08, 2013, 04:05 PM »
What's Lost Lake at the top of Big Creek looking like?  Anybody out there today?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #304 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Welcome to shanty IceIowa1  I've heard it's locked up but don't no all the details TooFuss lives closer he mows that area very well hope this helps Ron
Never to many short poles

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #305 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I fished Big Creek yesterday in one of the coves I normally do very well on, 4 inches most spots, less heading out towards the big lake so I didn't venture out that way. Water is very clear this year fish were holding near structure but not active due to the low pressure system that moved in. Was neat to watch the bluegills come up to the camera and stare at it.

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #306 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Welcome to shanty IceIowa1  I've heard it's locked up but don't no all the details TooFuss lives closer he mows that area very well hope this helps Ron
Thanks Jumbo, appreciate the Welcome!  Long time lurker finally started posting.  Thanks for the report squ1rr31_!  Just took friday off at work so I will be out there chasing them in four days.  Can't wait! 

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Dec 09, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Was thinking about fishing off of William's Dr. Tomorrow. Anybody checked the ice in that area. Went to boone the other day to a rather large private pond and it had 5 to 6 inches. Pounded the craps and gills and would like to get out to the dead sea and do the same. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks and tight lines!

Offline whlfxr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #308 on: Dec 09, 2013, 04:20 PM »
I just left Big Creek, I just went to check the ice and the first bay on the SE side had about 5" near the shore and 3" near the middle.  there had been someone there before me with their shack and there was a large slushy circle where the water had come up thru the holes and spread out.  I don't think the ice was thick enough when we got 4" of snow on it and it's putting pressure on it.  I didn't stick around. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #309 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:31 AM »
I was the guy there before you and was sitting on 5-6in of good hard ice. when I left at around 10:30 there was no water coming up just that I wetted som snow to bank my shack in with. The wind was trying to blow me away.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:22 AM »
I was there yesterday in "a cove"  ;D and the bluegill were ferocious with a couple walleye mixed in there.  very solid 5-6 inches of ice.  Couldn't find the crappies, I honestly think they are already in deeper water maybe 16-20'ish ft off points or breaks, not sure because I haven't ventured outside the coves.

To the person that wants to know about Lost Lake:  I used to fish there quite a bit but with the low water the last couple years I have stumbled upon to many weak spots due to the springs back there that I rarely go back there because it makes me nervous, travel with caution.

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Thanks for the retort guys. Heading out off of William Dr now. Start by coves  see if i can work my way out to where the craps are. If anybody wants to tag along  I'll be in  the red EsKimo flipmo2!

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #312 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I am originally from Madrid (grew up there) and fished Big Creek since 70's and know the lake well as I've fished it through all the changes the lake has gone through. One area that might be worth looking into now is way up at north end. There were some old gravel pits up there with irregular bottom and stumps/sticks and rocks in about 6-7ft of water (with occasional pockets of 8-9ft) DNR also put in a few rock piles and brush up there years ago...but this was a hot bite at first ice for big bluegills and crappies. not as easy to get to but could be worth the walk in. Ice was always good up there at first ice and those of you reading this that fished this lake back in 80's and early 90's might remember fishing this area. For those of you looking to try somewhere different on Big Creek--this might be the place. Could be a bust, but then again, could be worth the effort to try it. The location is on the east shoreline of lake just as it starts to open up into the main creek arm. There is a long silt dam up there--go south of that on east side and go around the first point--lake then kind of goes back again toward east..that area there out from shore anywhere from 30-50 yards out, is where you might find some rock piles/brush, sticks--and the irregular bottom contours. I'm guessing depth isn't much more than 5-6ft now, but the soft bottom used to have loads of organisms in it--which probably explained why the fish were up there at first ice.

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #313 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:11 PM »
HIt Big creek up this afternoon. Walked off of Williams and the ice was only 3.5 inches. I felt comfortable enough walKing around on it. Made my way over to a cove and the ice  was right at 5". Caught a handful of bluegill and 5 eyes right at dusk. None of the eyes were big enough to keep. The Best part of my day was when a gentlemen out fishing 40 Fow yelled over and said "i guess there are big walleye in here". I Figured he had a Nice eater so i opened my hut and saw the biggest walleye i have ever seen pulled out of big creek. Was easily a 10 pound walleye. Guy lived it up for a minute and yelled "these are the fellas you release", as i watched him put the monster back in his hole. The guy was about a hundred yards away and by the time i thought to run over and take a pic he was releasing it. Made my day and also shows there are some very nice trophy fish at big creek! Tight lines!

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #314 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:36 PM »
pics or it didnt happen  ::) ::)

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:46 PM »
I have seen decent ones pulled out of there, last year saw handful of 15-21 inchers pulled out by people besides myself.  I know they were all let go.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #316 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Has anyone been out off Don Williams today? Wondering if we made any ice the past couple days. Hoping to get out after work tomorrow.

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Redshack was out there all day and walked all over hell. Ice was a lil sloppy. Varied from 4 to 6 depending where you were. I found the crappie but is a secret spot i can't give up. Couldn't really pull allot out of brush. I got way off to the side of brush piles and was more successful. Good luck guys. Also meant a few cool dudes today. One was in an otter. Other EsKimo. Pm me and we should meet up fisHing again!

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #318 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I will be out there all day tomorrow for the most part.  Still on the hunt for crappies.  Put a large amount of large gills in the bucket last night with some decent eyes that were released but the papermouths still have eluded me but I have not ventured outside of the gills spots yet.  Anyone that wants to chase some papermouths tomorrow or willing to share the knowledge of where they are in order to have a fishing buddy let me know, heck I will bring the beer and heater!! :o

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Lyon--Crappies are much tougher to get in the day there for some reason.  Once the sun starts to go down and then after dark are times that have always produced for me.  Even though I am saying that I wouldn't mind running into a few tomorrow.  I will be out there too.  Good luck!

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #320 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. May have to wait til Saturday now. Got stuck doing jury duty this week and pry be working all day tomorrow now.... can't wait to get out there, maybe I'll see u guys. Might be stalking u catmandude, love me some crappie. Haha

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Yeah, I think I know where they might be just haven't ventured much since the gill bite was so good

Offline catmandude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #322 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Will be out all day from noon till well after dark. Will be fisHing outta my EsKimo flipmo2. Most likely will venture out off Williams drive. Has anyone tried the structure around the boat ramp directly to the east across the lake from Williams. Have done very well there in past as well. Tight lines and stop out and say hey if you're in the area.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #323 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:05 AM »
The guys from polk city bait fished that area yesterday and only ended up with one gill

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Anyone have any luck out here this weekend. Fished here Friday and Saturday and it was pretty slow both days.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:04 PM »
After having a killer week of a fishing there, Saturday kind of put me back in my place.  Fished all day out in the main basin and only managed two crappie.  Lost four others between me and my buddy.  They were aggressive for maybe 15 minutes and that was it in the morning. 

If someone can show me how to post a picture I can show off my fish from Friday.  21 inch walleye and a 10 inch "Iowa Master Angler" bluegill.

I have noticed the size of fish so far this year in all species have been quite a bit bigger than previous years.  I think we might have a bumper crop this year.

Offline IceIowa1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #326 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Anyone have any luck out here this weekend. Fished here Friday and Saturday and it was pretty slow both days.
  I was there both Friday during the day and early Saturday evening and could barely get a bite.  I drilled probably 30 to 40 holes each day, no luck.  It has to get better and it will! 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #327 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:25 AM »
How heavy does the master angler blue gill be because my biggest gill this week was 11 1/4 " this week
Never to many short poles

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #328 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:31 AM »
How heavy does the master angler blue gill be because my biggest gill this week was 11 1/4 " this week

10 inches.  So you got yourself one there.  Just take a picture of you measuring the fish, weigh it, and then send all the information in.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #329 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:42 AM »
A buddy and I fished sat. Evening and managed only two crappie one 12'' and one 10.5''. They were agressive bites but we just didn't mark the usual #s. We were in 30 fow so not sure if the are still shallow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.