Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89366 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #270 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Brushy had a 10 foot open hole just off the north ramp Tuesday morning. Talked to Mike at duncombe and decieded to head on up to clear.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #271 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:08 PM »
A guy I fish with from desmoines fished off Williams boat ramp said today ice was ok and they did well on walleyes and wiper and afew catfish
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Any reports on Williams ramp tonight . How's ice . I'm going to try it at 8-9am tomorrow  ;D

Offline w@lleye_rookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Brushy had a 10 foot open hole just off the north ramp Tuesday morning. Talked to Mike at duncombe and decieded to head on up to clear.
Really?!! Someone should check below the hole to see if there is a vehicle down there! I was there on Friday the 8th and there were several pickups driving on the ice.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #274 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Got off of big creek tonight about 7pm crappies started biting a little better around dark caught a few but still the slowest fishing day I have had this season and ice was loud all day and thickness was crazy 3" -7.5" the white colored ice was thinnest . If anyone goes tomorrow you should get off by noon and stay on the clear ice only with caution !! BE CAREFUL GUYS !!!!!

Offline DirkDitchPickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #275 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Stopped out tonight to look at the lake ice.  Looks crappy.  I wouldn't go out on it.  About a third of the lake is open.  There are open holes sporadically throughout the remaining ice.  Open water next to shore and a couple wide open cracks.
 Hard to think that two weeks ago people were driving their trucks on it.  My wife always gave me funny looks when I went ice fishing because I went quite often.  Now she knows why.  One positive thing was we had more ice than last year.  Good thing I have other hobbies. Maybe the snowmobile will get use later this week. Come on snow!!!!!!!
If your hobbies don't make your wife mad......you're not living life to the fullest!

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #276 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:55 PM »
She capped back over completely on Tuesday night.. I couldn't believe it as I was just out to take a look on Monday and it was very open!  We ventured out off of Williams Dr. boat ramp on Wednesday.  Ice was a very consistent 6'' straight out from the ramp to the channel.  The water has turned into chocolate milk with all that open water and wind.  I could see my jig in 18' two weeks ago, but only maybe 6'' yesterday.  Managed a few small crappie on spikes and horizontal jigs, but we were only there for less then a hour.  Marked a lot of fish though!  If any of ya decide to go out, be very careful with this new snow as everything will be pretty covered I'm sure!  Tight lines!

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #277 on: Feb 22, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Anybody going to Big Creek on Saturday?

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Feb 22, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I'd like to, but with the snow sitting on top (if it is) I'd probably want to be wearing my life jacket, picks, etc the entire time. Might decide to travel north somewhere if we do go this weekend...

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Might be up there Sunday but checking some local ice first

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:46 PM »
I'd like to, but with the snow sitting on top (if it is) I'd probably want to be wearing my life jacket, picks, etc the entire time. Might decide to travel north somewhere if we do go this weekend...

Picks, Arctic Armor and Spud Bar all coming along...I found 10 to 12" towards the South end of the lake last Sunday.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #281 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:54 PM »
You going on Saturday . Let me no how ice is

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #282 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:33 AM »
You going on Saturday . Let me no how ice is

I sure am...it looks like a beautiful day to be out fishing.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #283 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I'm thinking about going today or tomorrow, I'd like to start at the Williams ramp but I know the open water/iffy ice wasn't far from there last weekend. Might wait until tomorrow and let others make the first tracks, time to get the skis out today!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:19 PM »
A few guys were set up off of Williams Boat Ramp today. I stayed South of there. Lots of lookers...only caught 1 Catfish in the main channel.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Thanks for the report BigRock. I was hoping to make it down there today to take a look but we ran out of daylight. May have to give it a try tomorrow since it sounds like it'll be a perfect day.  How much ice did you have and did you still start at Williams or get on somewhere else?

Anyone else get out there today?

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #286 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:44 PM »
We tried for a bit right in front of the Williams ramp mid-day, saw a lot of marks but not many takers. Very nice day to be out, the GF caught a huge white bass but that was about it. We had 7-10" under us in every hole I drilled...

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:59 PM »
We tried for a bit right in front of the Williams ramp mid-day, saw a lot of marks but not many takers. Very nice day to be out, the GF caught a huge white bass but that was about it. We had 7-10" under us in every hole I drilled...

I was out today starting at the fishing point West of the East Boat Ramp. I found 10 - 11" every I drilled. I think a power auger is on the short list....my arm is tired trying to find the active fish...lots of lookers though. Great day to be out...I was almost too warm walking around the ice.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I was in a t-shirt most of the time!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:39 PM »
So quiet in here...wife and I went today to fish some brush piles for blue gills. We caught 3 nice gills until a call for a family emergency cut our trip short. South end of the lake towards the East side is still 11" of ice with 2-3" of slush/snow on top (measured not guessing)

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #290 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I was out on the channel from Williams boat ramp this afternoon.  60yrds out, then 75yrds North was all pretty decent ice.  First couple inches were snow/crap ice, the rest was pretty decent.  9"  +/-  1"   A lot of lookers and sniffers, not very many biters! 

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #291 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Thats the way it has been every time I have been there very hard to get them to bite but every thing you catch is always a decent fish no dinks there except the walleyes

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #292 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Ice report...I went out yesterday for a couple of hours. Right off Williams Ramp, there is a lot of crusty snow with slush and water underneath. I used my spud bar and I was splashing a lot of water before hitting the ice. Also, I found a couple of thin spots that the bar went through after only 2 hits. The snow and slush is making hard to tell were are the good and bad spots. Did find 8-9" (measured) of ice but it didn't take much effort to drill through with my 6" Mora.

Be extremely careful if you go off of Williams Ramp...

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Decided to swing by Big Creek to see how the ice held up from the rain a couple of weekends ago.
The picture was taken just SW of the East Boat Ramp...the line of ice is where the water line used to be.
The rain and melting snow raised the lake at least 1' if not more...

Saw this guy out there...said he had been fishing 4 hours and not one bite.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Wow can't believe you still have ice ! I have been out open water fishing and catching crappies 10-12" on ice jigs and waxes on local lake

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #295 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:59 AM »
That's cause u live in Missouri JC!!!! U guys had 2" for a week lol

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #296 on: Mar 20, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Big creek is up around 4'.  Thanks for the update.  I don't suppose he said how much ice there was, did he?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #297 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I no I need to move farther north but we had 7" for a few weeks . But why are we getting December weather now when it isn't going to do us any good Lol

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I can't talk the wife in to moving but I have talked her into getting me a newer truck with a big gas tank to chase ice next year. I'm planning a trip to Canada in early December this coming ice seasonLol

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Big creek is up around 4'.  Thanks for the update.  I don't suppose he said how much ice there was, did he?

No he didn't. I didn't ask since I had to yell to be heard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.