Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89187 times)

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #120 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Put a fork in it.  The seasons over. ;D
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
Big Creek
« Reply #121 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Checked the creek yesterday and its about 50% ice. Sounds like we have a little warm weather on its way so that wont help things.
ITCHIN!

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #122 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Did some fishing at big creek today.  It's 100% iced over after last night.  I was on the north end.  walked from the rock dam to about 500 to 1000yards south on the middle of the lake to where it opens  up into the main lake.  Fished in 8-10FOW.  only marked a couple...no bites.  Ice was 2-3 inches thick.  Fished a gravel pit too, it had 3 inches.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Uhh im not buyn that I drove by there on Thursday and the whole place except for a skim by the dam was open water . I didn't really go to the northern most part of the lake but... I doubt the ice is safe. Any place on big creek.
Hard charger !

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I agree with you Drewgills it's probably wishfull thinking on his part! I drove by DMACC Pond when I was coming home from Sportsmans Warehouse today and there was open water on it! A couple of smaller ponds were iced over completely, but I don't know how thick it was.

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:51 AM »
haha.  You don't have to believe me.  Just trying to pass along info.   You could go out there for yourself?!  I bet all my holes are still there.  Anyways it was 100% iced over.   You guys need to get out there and see for yourself i guess.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:23 AM »
I agree with you Drewgills it's probably wishfull thinking on his part! I drove by DMACC Pond when I was coming home from Sportsmans Warehouse today and there was open water on it! A couple of smaller ponds were iced over completely, but I don't know how thick it was.
Yea DMACC is still open water. I live 2 min from there so I check it daily

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I was out there Saturday to check the ice and over 1/2 the lake was open.  What little ice was there wasn't thick enough to stand on, let alone walk out on the lake 500 - 1000 yards as mentioned.

Not real sure what the point of a "fake report" is, but it helps me rule out who's posts to believe.

ok this is the second and last time I will defend my earlier post.   Todd, the lake was 100% frozen Saturday.  I can understand how you might have thought otherwise, because there was no wind the previous night, and the with temps at 5 degrees the new ice that froze the remaining center lake was clear as glass.  If you didn't look closely from shore you could mistake it.  Even driving over the dam you could mistake the very clear ice patches as open water when compared to the snow covered earlier ice, and from there you have a good vantage point.  And in response to me fishing there, I DID.  And did exactly as mentioned.  Holy crap I thought people would be happy for me.  All I want to do on this site is exchange info to get better at ice fishing, and possibly help someone else.  So hold your judgements unless you TRULY know what you speak of.

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Good point with the picture. I even had my camera.   No hard feelings here either, but if i feel like I'm being called a liar I feel like i need to defend myself, for better or worse.    I couldn't just walk on at any spot i wanted to on the lake, but that didn't mean that it wasn't frozen in the center.  If you're in an area with warm groundwater inflow then yeah the ice is going to be sketchy near shore.  I bet you don't remember seeing any waves out there Saturday did you? 

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:29 PM »
if he's fishing the area I think he is, then it's a distinct possibility it was froze.(not defending him-just saying it's possible and I know that lake quite well)..way up north end of big creek arm near the the silt dam...shallow and no moving water with creek so low--and that area since lake was created always froze earliest and was one of the first areas you could walk on.
actually, when I fished Big Creek when I was younger (I grew up in Madrid..I "lived" at that lake back in the 80's in my HS days) the area just a bit further south of where he may have been fishing used to be old gravel pits (5-7ft of water) and that WAS the spot to early icefish--besides Lost Lake. That area would be covered with fishermen at first ice, and we would catch big bluegills, crappies, even perch from those old flooded willow sticks. Still today, there is some good structure up there (not as many sticks as they have deteriorated over time) but the DNR put some rock piles and other brush up there when they drained the lake back in mid 90's...
anybody else remember fishing up there in that area back then?
might be worth some of you living close to Big Creek to try that area out again at early ice. The gravel and clay marl bottom used to hold larvae and such that the fish would come in and feed on.
I don't make it back to fish that area too much anymore, but at early ice definitely a place to try (even though it's a long walk) Maybe fish have started to use that area again for same reasons as they did several years ago.

I'm just bummed out here in SW Iowa that the warm temps and rain on the way will pretty much ruin any good ice we had in this area for some time now!

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Not calling you a liar. Just don't think its safe to tell folk that your walking thousands of yds around a lake that's not all the way froze.everyone is itching to get out.but it wouldn't be cool for someone to fall through uneven ice. Lots of first timers out there is all. ;D
Hard charger !

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #131 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Jeez, this board is getting to be like the other boards.   ::)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Truth,honesty and compassion for your fellow human beings. We as ice anglers have lost 2 of our own family so far this early in the season! We don't need any more fatalities at all, and certainly not from any misleading posts about the conditions of the ice. Please everyone be safe out on the ice! Tight lines! ;D

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #133 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Play nice boys...

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #134 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:40 AM »
hopefully we have Ice by the time of the bigcreek hardwater open. Can't wait. no third or fourth place this year.... it's first!

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Bet everyone will be walking out if it even happens going to need some cold temps to even get it fishable.
Hard charger !

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Might need a boat if the temps stay in the 40's... I am getting angry >:( >:( >:(. But then again if it does freeze later, the fish won't be as pressured by tourney time and there might be more of them to catch.  ;)

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Any sign of ice lately?

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Lots of open water still today, smaller open pockets as well.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I did some checking today.  There was two shacks at the west boat ramp.  they said they were on 4' but there was open water in places by them.  I didnt like the looks of it.  I went over to the east boat ramp and it looked better.  you can see open water out a ways by the middle.  I walked out to about 50 yards drilling holes on the way and I was getting 4" to maybe 5"  I am heading out the door right now to go fish off the east boat ramp.  I will do more more drill when I get back out there and have the power auger.  And again I didnt wonder too far from the boat ramp but from what I could see it looked like decent ice all around that area.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Im out right now and it's safer to say there's 3-4 with spots that might be 5.  It is really various

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys! Any pics of the ice and/or fish?  ;D

Offline perch.eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Bigwally- Did you have the red Eskimo out there?

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Yes I did.  And the power auger.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys! Any pics of the ice and/or fish?  ;D

I didn't take any pics.  I had a few bites but no takers.  But it was nice to get out there.  If anyone goes out use cation the ice really varies for spot to stop. 

Offline Master79

• IceShanty Rookie
Big creek ice
« Reply #145 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Heard people been fishin big creek.  Headin there tomorrow morning. Anybody heard anything biting out there. Just stoked about getting out, first time this year.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big creek ice
« Reply #146 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:06 AM »
I got out today late in the day caught a 13-14in walleye and another even smaller one.  Talked to a gut that said he had got a limit early. In the day then the bite shut off for him.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:07 AM »
Which part of Big Creek is safe? How thick is the ice out there?

Offline Master79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Was out at big creek today. There's 3-4 inches   Fished about 5 hours with one bite. First trip out felt great to break in all the toys again. I counted about 8-10 people fishing around me. Guy next to us caught a real nice wally

Offline perch.eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Really wet, and really slow off of the east ramp today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.