New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Access to Saratoga Lake  (Read 1515 times)

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
Access to Saratoga Lake
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I live 1 mile from the south end of Saratoga Lake. Does anyone know an access points from the South end. I am only familiar with the State Launch and Fitch.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Access to Saratoga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:00 PM »
To get on the South end of the lake you really need to know someone and have permission to access the lake from their property.  All the small roads are either private property or posted with no parking signs.  There used to be access at Brown's Beach but even that is gone now.

Offline GM2500HD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Seems to be a problem with a lot of Lakes.

You would think our license fees would be put to some good use.
You'll find me over the deep water.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:55 AM »
Seems to be a problem with a lot of Lakes.

You would think our license fees would be put to some good use.

I would like to Thank all of you that littered at the parking areas we use to have, as well as the ones we are still able to access. Keep it up and the bulldozers won't be the sportsmans worst enemy any longer it will be the liter bugs :%$#!: ...
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:37 AM »
It is frustrating, even though its probably a small number of people that ruin it for everyone else. Thats why its important that we (fishermen) should police ourselves. I know if I see anyone litter in my presence, we will have words!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I think another reason why access is getting difficult is overcrowding on the few spots you can get on the ice.  I used to have a nice place to park on the south side, but that's closed now and i'm guessing one of the reasons is just too many vehicles. 

I haven't been to Fitch road in a few years, but i couldn't believe how many people parked there on the weekends.  Probably just a matter of time and you'll see 'no parking' signs there as well.

On a related note..does anyone know if 4wheelers are still a no-no at the state launch?  Past years, i've been told quads are illegal on saratoga, especially the state launch.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I think another reason why access is getting difficult is overcrowding on the few spots you can get on the ice.  I used to have a nice place to park on the south side, but that's closed now and i'm guessing one of the reasons is just too many vehicles. 

I haven't been to Fitch road in a few years, but i couldn't believe how many people parked there on the weekends.  Probably just a matter of time and you'll see 'no parking' signs there as well.

On a related note..does anyone know if 4wheelers are still a no-no at the state launch?  Past years, i've been told quads are illegal on saratoga, especially the state launch.

There is still a sign up that says it's no no! Go to Lees campground next door, I think I heard he charges $5.00. 

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I remember seeing a thread on here earlier in the season stating that the Park Police would be enforcing the "no four-wheelers" on Saratoga Lake ruling.  Snowmobiles ARE allowed but quads are not.  NO vehicles can access the lake from the State Launch.  As dav said, just to the north of the State Launch is Lee's.  Leo will let you park and "launch" your machine from his property for a nominal fee.  I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for a four-wheeler on the ice...yet.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:10 AM »
I remember seeing a thread on here earlier in the season stating that the Park Police would be enforcing the "no four-wheelers" on Saratoga Lake ruling.  Snowmobiles ARE allowed but quads are not.  NO vehicles can access the lake from the State Launch.  As dav said, just to the north of the State Launch is Lee's.  Leo will let you park and "launch" your machine from his property for a nominal fee.  I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for a four-wheeler on the ice...yet.

No tickets received this year for me  ;D where's the wood  ???, where's the wood  ???. I can't find a piece of wood to knock on  :'(, now I'm gonna get a freakin ticket :woot: :roflmao:

Offline john31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:15 AM »
No tickets received this year for me  ;D where's the wood  ???, where's the wood  ???. I can't find a piece of wood to knock on  :'(, now I'm gonna get a freakin ticket :woot: :roflmao:
I just don't get that rule "law" whatever it is trying to be enforced, seems on again off again, ahhh, if we feel like we'll ticket you. Don't get it.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:17 AM »
It still amazes me that rule exists.  You can drive a car, truck, snowmobile, etc on the ice, but not a quad?  I know this comes up every year, but it just seems like a silly loop hole.  

Thanks for the info on Leo's.  $5 is well worth the price if that means i don't have to drag all my gear out, and i can hit my favorite spots.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:17 AM »
I just don't get that rule "law" whatever it is trying to be enforced, seems on again off again, ahhh, if we feel like we'll ticket you. Don't get it.

I don't get it either john :wacko:

Offline john31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:19 AM »
All that being said, and yes $5 is well worth it, are conditions ok for a machine?

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:54 AM »
To get on the South end of the lake you really need to know someone and have permission to access the lake from their property.  All the small roads are either private property or posted with no parking signs.  There used to be access at Brown's Beach but even that is gone now.
Those were the good old days when you could ask and secure permission. how freakin hard is it to clean up after yourself!!! I rarely see this problem on other lakes i fish. such an excellent lake and an such limited access! :( >:(
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.