New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Trolling for Lake Trout advice  (Read 591 times)

Offline junebug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other
Trolling for Lake Trout advice
« on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:48 AM »
I'm planning on fishing for lakers this weekend, and I must admit I don't have much experience in catching them.  I guess my biggest question is where to find them.  Depth, contour, and bottom type.... I've heard and read a million things, but I'm just not sure.  Anyone have any advice out there in Shantyland?
If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”
― Norman Maclean

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Trolling for Lake Trout advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Well you have me confused a bit by the subject. Trolling for lakers? As in open water? Or did you mean jigging for lakers as in on the ice :-p I'm going to assume you meant jigging for them. I've had the best luck catching them consistantly at the bottom of a steep drop off, with a decent sized white swedish pimple tipped with a strip of meat. Good luck :tipup:
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:11 AM »
If your trolling, you've gotta cut one heck of a hole!  :roflmao: :roflmao: Couldn't resist... :laugh:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline junebug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Airman, Sorry my frail attempt at humor was a bit confusing.  I'm trolling for advice, not literally trolling.  I will be fishing hard water, and jigging would be the preferred way to catch them.  Although tip-ups would be fine.  Like I said my biggest problem is location.  I think if I can find there haunts, it will be overcoming my 1st hurdle. Thanks.
If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”
― Norman Maclean

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Click on the link below. This should help you!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=42.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.