New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sale Of perch  (Read 4127 times)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
Re: Sale Of perch
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Don't get it. Pull fish from the water and play perch hockey with them. If that's true you have to be the biggest idiot I have ever seen. What a waste of a resource.
  Actually I do throw my yellas back except to feed an eagle once in a while. Or give em to a friend from Michigan that fishes with us sometimes. But only if he gives me his crappies! Now there's some good eats right there! Best eating fish that swims! Yellas, any pond, anytime, anywhere! Even an idiot could catch a yella! Those (things) are everywhere!
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:45 PM »
I'm against the sale of perch in NY.  I don't see how anyone fishing waters with a 50 perch limit a day can make a dime anyways.  After paying for gas, bait, equipment, and man hours ( catching and cleaning), you are probally losing money.  If you want to sell fish, you should have to have a commercial fishing license.

I don't believe their was a limit many yrs ago and I believe it really hurt the fishing. Guys would walk of the lake with a few buckets of fish and sell them all. I usually through back anything under 9".I can't see how anyone would just leave them on the ice ,it is a tremendous waste of food.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:12 AM »
Sorry fiddlehead, but most of you Maine guys still leave your perch on the ice, or use them for your "perch hockey"...some of us eat them...If we could sell them in Maine, there wouldn't be any left on the ice huh?
  That might be a good idea. Then we wouldn't be pestered with all the bait stealing. What would the birds eat then?  People talk like they would starve without perch. No grocery stores around there? Give me a break! :-*

Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:29 PM »
my kids had a choice of perch or walleye for dinner tonight . they chose perch. I can't buy perch in the grocery store, and with two fish buyers in my town , it just don't seem right? 1.75 lb? i'll buy some! cheaper than catching them!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:20 AM »
If you dont eat it throw it back. I find that late season fishing is very poor. I think that this may be due to fishermen who pull everything they can through the ice. Ive watched them. If they dont want it, they leave it on the ice. at first I could not comprehend catch and release. After tough times catching fish, I finally understand. Sometimes just a couple of flags or a nuisance pickeral make it all good.     

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:16 AM »
in ny I think you can get a ticket for leaveing dinks all over the ice and they also count toward your limit

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:53 AM »
in ny I think you can get a ticket for leaveing dinks all over the ice and they also count toward your limit
You can get tickets for a lot of stuff ice fishing but I rarely see it.  Pissing on the ice, leaving tip ups out when you leave for lunch and littering.  The only laws you break are the ones they catch you breaking !!!  That saying is too right sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.