New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: WESTCHESTER/PUTNAM/DUTCHESS COUNTIES GET ICE!!!!!!!  (Read 2100 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
WESTCHESTER/PUTNAM/DUTCHESS COUNTIES GET ICE!!!!!!!
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:22 PM »
I've just been informed by my Westchester county bait shop that there's safe ice (8 inches, according to them) on White's Pond and Sodom Reservoir (among others). 
Several of us are meeting at 7:30AM at the boat launch ramp at Sodom on Sunday.
Come on out all you Southern NY icemen......... it's time to fish!!!

IceBalls   (Oboy--Oboy--Oboy--Oboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: WESTCHESTER/PUTNAM/DUTCHESS COUNTIES GET ICE!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:01 AM »
i was out on white pond this am about 6-8 inches ice maybe another 10 people out there. i am just warming up for the derby next week in tupper lake.kinda like a shake down cruise. good day a couple of perch,, by Saturday there will be alot more people out there.

do you know if its legal to drive a quad on white pond ??? it is a state park !!! just wondering

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:48 AM »
do you know if its legal to drive a quad on white pond ??? it is a state park !!! just wondering

According to the DEC guy I spoke with last year is is definately illegal. White Pond is technically part of the NYC system, although it is not listed as such and you dont need the DEC permit to fish there.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:26 AM »
how do you guys have 6 to 8 inches and we have maybe 3 on small ponds here?? w.e does anyone know how far these lakes are from rockland county??? and what species are in these lakes ???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Ice Boy:

White pond is relatively shallow (6-10' Deep) which probably accounts for the early safe ice.  I live 2 miles from it and it always has early ice.  It can be a fun lake to fish.  Last January on one 2 hour outing I caught 6 species of fish: Blue Gills, Crappie, Pickerel, Bass, Bullhead and huge Golden Shiners jigging.  Kept the shiners for Pike Bait up north in the Adirondacks.

Mike

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:26 PM »
might be out there with you guys on sunday i have to see  :tipup: :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
LET us know how you do ICEBALLS!!!!!

Offline Bird hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Can anyone confirm the ice conditions on Sodom? I'd like to go Sunday, but I don't like to venture out by myself in the dark if I haven't checked the ice beforehand.  ???  I can't check it myself, but I think that I can trust everyone's opinion on this site.  :tipup:
N.A.T.T. is back on the attack!!

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I CANT CONFIRM SODOM,,,,,,,,,BUT I JUST LEFT WHITE POND,,,,, ABOUT 40 FISHERMAN,,,, PLUSSSSSSSSS DEC CHECKING TAGS AND NO ICE AUGERS,,,,
ABOUT 6 TO 8 INCHES SOLID
GOOD DAY OF FISHING   !!!!!

Offline Bird hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2007, 01:48 PM »
I CANT CONFIRM SODOM,,,,,,,,,BUT I JUST LEFT WHITE POND,,,,, ABOUT 40 FISHERMAN,,,, PLUSSSSSSSSS DEC CHECKING TAGS AND NO ICE AUGERS,,,,
[/quote

Thanks for the confirmation on White Pond. I'll see if I get any other responses and then I'll decide in the morning where to go.
I don't mind DEC being there doing their job...I hate the a-holes that don't have licences and pay no attention to size and bag limits giving the rest of us a bad reputation.
Maybe I'll run into you on the ice...I'm usually fishing out of a blue Fish Trap portable shanty.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2007, 05:22 PM »
REPORT ON WHITE POND (SATURDAY)---  wasn't there myself today but a buddy of mine was, and called to report fast action on the early morning bite (7:30 to 9:30 AM).  He also e-mailed me a photo he took of a guy who caught a Northern Pike between 10-15 pounds.  The guy also had a large Walleye.
We're going to check out Sodom tomorrow (Sunday)---be there at 7:30 AM by the launch ramp if anyone's interested!

IceBalls

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:40 PM »
iceballs, how were things at sodom today?

Offline RetiredBanker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:12 PM »

Any ice now?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Retired Banker....don't know if you realize it, but the above posts were from LAST YEAR (Jan.2007).  However, if you're interested.....spoke to a buddy of mine who lives in Mahopac last night.  He says there is safe ice all over Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess counties.  Specifically mentioned were:  White Pond, Boyds corners, West Branch, sodom, Muscoot, Amawalk.  Upton Lake in Dutchess is also frozen.
Good Luck

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Boys I don't know where you get your info but White POND IS DOWN TO 3IN. and the edges are going. Fishing was not very good.
Mr.Esox

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Boys I don't know where you get your info but White POND IS DOWN TO 3IN. and the edges are going. Fishing was not very good.

Checked White Pond this afternon at 4:00 PM and concur with Mr. Esox.  Shoreline is open to about 6 feet out. Bring waders if you're thinking about getting on.  Boyds on the other hand is fine.  Shoreline is firm and there is about 6-8" of ice.

Mike

Offline Bird hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:48 AM »
With heavy rain coming into our area tonight and tomorrow, much of the ice is going to be gone...especially the edges.
Be careful out there and STAY ON TOP!!!
Bird hunter

Offline BIZZO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:16 PM »
6-7 inches at Upton Lake today.  But that place sucks big ice balls.  Not one flag in 5 hours.......BEAT!!!

Offline RetiredBanker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Retired Banker....don't know if you realize it, but the above posts were from LAST YEAR (Jan.2007).  However, if you're interested.....spoke to a buddy of mine who lives in Mahopac last night.  He says there is safe ice all over Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess counties.  Specifically mentioned were:  White Pond, Boyds corners, West Branch, sodom, Muscoot, Amawalk.  Upton Lake in Dutchess is also frozen.
Good Luck

Thanks I knew the post was from last year, I'm finding it hard to navigate and search what I like on this board.  I was at the Nothern Challenge in Tupper Lake last Saturday.  My son caught one pike but it was too small to enter.  I wanted to see more pictures of this tourney.  I'll keep checking back.

Offline chazmatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • go fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2008, 12:59 PM »
has anybody checked titicus res???? please reply

Offline MPM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:44 PM »
After this weather on 2-13-08 i would'nt trust the ice anywhere in Westchester, Putnam,or Lower Dutchess counties.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.