New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wasting Fish - Saratoga Lake  (Read 5284 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Wasting Fish - Saratoga Lake
« Reply #60 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:16 PM »
I'm beginning to think you guys are a  bunch of  trouble makers!!!!!!............ :roflmao:

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Pickerel on the ice?  How bout carp in the bushes from the bowhunters.  Not much difference in my opinion.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:01 PM »
buz I never thought of that ,you have a point

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:42 AM »
Pickerel on the ice?  How bout carp in the bushes from the bowhunters.  Not much difference in my opinion.
big difference. Pickerel are native and actually can help balance an ecosystem plus tasty. Carp are invasive and can destroy fisheries, while providing no benifit to the ecosystems. Plus typically are not a favored table fare and typically carry a ton of heavy metals like mercury and contaminates like pcbs in their bodies. Believe they should clean them.up and not leave them in the bushes but have no problem with shooting them.

Offline throughtheroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:24 AM »
True, carp were first non native species. And a lesson for lack of foresight.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:11 AM »
At one time carp were commercially fished in Saratoga, they had big pound nets off Chinatown.  The fish were sent live to NYC, nicknamed "Albany Beef".  In Europe, carp are the chosen entree for special occasions, kind of like turkey here for Thanksgiving.  They are quite edible.  And killing them isn't going to make a significant dent in the population.

They are loads of fun to catch.  I caught several 20# fish fishing 4# test and small jigs for walleyes in Saratoga many years ago.  Pull up the anchor and follow them around.

They are non-native, like brown trout.  But they are here to stay now, unless Donald Trump figures a way to deport them all (lol).

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:16 AM »
carp are cool  :thumbsup: 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:32 AM »
I could never wrap my head around why people throw fish on the ice, regardless of species or size...and it seems the guys that leave a pile of 6" gills on the ice, are the ones complaining the following year, why there arent any 10" gills to be caught.... I wonder what DOESNT help them grow?

Pickeral are annoying, but they still deserve to go back down the hole...we see this all the time during open water season as well with bass tournament guys, killing a big northern only to throw them back in the water...happens way to often on champlain..and their excuse is, they are "annoying fish"...well, that excuse isnt good enough.

Does anyone remember that video that was posted on youtube a few years ago where a kid recorded 2 guys up in the st. lawrence that were fishing for walleye, beat and kill a 43" muskie, and throw it back in the water? The guy ended up getting arrested, lost his job, had to make a public apology etc...for what reason? He said it was a "crap fish".

you guys can do what you want with your small gills and pickeral. Just please dont leave them on the ice. If you dont want to release them, bring them home and figure out what you want to do with them. I dont want to hafto explain to my near 3 year old son, why there is a pile of dead fish on the ice, while he has his own fish tank at home that he loves.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:34 AM »
I just don't get you guys.   You wouldn't leave bass, pike or walleye on the ice, right?   How are pickerel any different or deserving of less respect?   'cause they look different?  They are a native fish that evolved a niche in the lake.   I guess you feel you have the right to kill them, punt them, throw them, kick them, whatever makes you happy and feel good about yourself.   But don't leave them on the ice.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:43 AM »
oh stop it smokinn , you like controversy on here and  ruffling feathers as much as me .... and as far as a pickerel getting tossed on the ice, none of us  ever lost a minute of sleep over it .... be honest a pickerel is only one step ahead of a turnup on the evolutionary scale ....no one really cares.......way I do math a 3 dollar jig is worth a lot more then a 13 inch pickerel ....enough said

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:24 AM »
oh stop it smokinn , you like controversy on here and  ruffling feathers as much as me .... and as far as a pickerel getting tossed on the ice, none of us  ever lost a minute of sleep over it .... be honest a pickerel is only one step ahead of a turnup on the evolutionary scale ....no one really cares.......way I do math a 3 dollar jig is worth a lot more then a 13 inch pickerel ....enough said

:clap: :clap:

And smoke comparing a 13 inch pickerel to a 43 inch musky... come on man, this thread is aimed at pickerel not musky, pike or gills...

Isn't there some bass videos you could be watching?
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:31 AM »
my son when he was 3 loved ripping eyes out of perch for bait.....didn't have to explain nothing he caught right on

is this video  like  the picture of round lake getting passed off as lake  George????? :roflmao:    now stop it  ::)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:45 AM »
:clap: :clap:

And smoke comparing a 13 inch pickerel to a 43 inch musky... come on man, this thread is aimed at pickerel not musky, pike or gills...

Isn't there some bass videos you could be watching?

Please explain to me what the difference of killing s fish for no reason is? Doesn't matter if they are two different species.

This thread clearly shows who the true anglers are....

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:47 AM »

A $3 jig, is a good reason to kill a fish? Is money that tight for you? Give me your address. I will donate a box of jigs to you.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:54 AM »
first I want to see this video  and  I want  to help this  guy get his job back and  he should  sue   whom ever made  him  publicly apologize  for anything ...his civil rights  where clearly  violated! second  lets  clear up this  picture of  round  lake  posted  on the  lake  George thread  ment to mislead people???? that's  not nice!!!! 

why do we  kill gobies ?  why do we shoot wood chucks  or  pigeons and  leave  them? or crows???? why do we shoot carp with arrows  or spear suckers????  hmmmmmmm  ........I rather someone  throw a  over populated pickerel on the  ice  then post a  misleading picture  on  ice  conditions .....guess  we are  clearly  seeing who the  real sportsman are ....huh :roflmao: :roflmao: your outta  your league  dude

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:11 AM »
Out of my league huh? Mid leading ice conditions? How is a warning about bad ice conditions mid leading, regardless of the lake? You mean to tell me, any of your average ice fisherman can just walk right into lake George right now without a worry? If you haven't noticed, in the last couple weeks in the lake George thread there has been new members who their first post is in the lake George thread asking about conditions...your telling me that any newbie can just walk out there?

If you go a search on it, you will see the news reports, find the link to his arrest etc.

Anyways, I'm out. Can't wait for this ice to melt. Maybe I will meet some of you people on the open water this season. See ya.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:13 AM »
I see some major tongue and cheek here.
I guess I gotta pay attention before stuff pops off and fists start flying.  ;D
Have your fun, but let's keep the personal jabs out of it. The boys already jumped SS for that and they moved on. Ya don't need to beat him up on every thread.
Trap doesn't waste a darn thing. He's playing with you guys. You guys entertain him like a school of perch. Stop biting and he'll stop fishing.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I did see an eagle this morning circling around off Brown's looking for all those pickerel.  There were a couple of guys out yesterday, and the shanty got moved closer to shore.  Looks like you'd need to wade today to get on, nobody out there.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:45 PM »
SMOKIN WAIT................do es this mean I  don't get the jigs?????? :roflmao:

buz  if  he  looked  fat was cause I fed  him good  !!!!

prchslyr I'm sorry  ....any fool can see  this was all a joke ...... 

bye the  way it was all nates idea  ...... :roflmao:

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:51 PM »

Anyways, I'm out. Can't wait for this ice to melt. Maybe I will meet some of you people on the open water this season. See ya.

I've heard this before and like pickerel you keep popping back up  :o

Maybe if we meet on the open water you can show me how to catch bass so I can leave them on the shores for the animals  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone on here but as the ice starts to go the fishing on here heats up  ;D

If you look at any of my posts on here nowhere does it say I leave pickerel on the ice... I just don't lose sleep over it

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:57 PM »

I see your  problem with locations   has  no bounds  ...this  happen  on the  Canadian side  of the  Detroit river!!!!  that's  even further away  from the st lawwrence  then  round  lake  is from lake  George .....

I say we all cheap in and  but smokinn a  map and  a GPS   :roflmao:

ya can't make  make  this stuff up

in all honesty I  do  eat them  make pattys  out of them or  fillet them

however I must  say I think I caught my biggest  fish  ever   using  ice and  pickerel  as  bait !!!!!!!  FISH ON !!!!

...................do I still get the  jigs and  do I have  to share  with nate?????

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I'll take some jigs...  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:31 PM »
 :roflmao:............going pickerel fishing?

I don't know how to say this nate but......I don't really think were going to get the jigs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.