New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Best Lake Trout Lake  (Read 1997 times)

OneidaAngler

Best Lake Trout Lake
« on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:53 PM »
I'm looking for a good lake to catch some good sized lake trout. I fish Piseco every now and again but only catch the numerous dinks in there. I'm about an hour from there so anywhere for lake trout would be a haul. I've narrowed it down to three lakes I wouldn't mind making the drive to. Schroon Lake, Lake George, and Fourth Lake(Fourth Lake being the shorter drive about 1.5 hours, the others are both 2 hours and change from my place) Now the million dollar question: what one has the best chance of me hooking into a good fish? Opinions?

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Lake Trout Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:57 PM »
What do you consider dinks?  I fish some of the finger lakes and jig up 20"- 24" pretty consistently.  No 15 pounders or anything but nice size for a good fight and good eating too

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Otsego in Cooperstown theres a thread for it check it out
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:03 PM »
All the lakes you mentioned are good, with Lake George being the best.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:16 PM »
What do you consider dinks?  I fish some of the finger lakes and jig up 20"- 24" pretty consistently.  No 15 pounders or anything but nice size for a good fight and good eating too

I've yet to catch a 20 incher in Piseco. The state needs to drop the 21 inch limit in Piseco to 18 inches to weed out some of the fish. It's way too overpopulated. A slot limit for lake trout would be nice too. I was thinking like 15 to 21 inches is fair game and also anything over 30 inches as a trophy. I wouldn't mind catching what you are.  ;D

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:18 PM »
All are good lakes. Which ever one you choose I suggest really studying maps before hand. That way you have a game plan and aren't wasting time. Getting set up at first light is crucial.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Lake George

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Otsego is nice...but Lake George is better. If the bait comes back to Otsego then it would be close, but Lake George Lakers are beautiful fish and from what I hear they can get awful big   ;D

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2014, 09:13 PM »
What about Raquette Lake, or Blue Mountain lake...Lake George definitely the best, and the biggest fih will be found in the narrows to the north basin....not as pressured as south basin...Barebow

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Wait until summer and come to the Rochester basin of Lake Ontario.  20lbers are very common.  We did a 34lb 6oz laker in 2012.  If you want big lakers through the ice, fish Canandiagua if we ever see ice on it again. 

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:38 AM »
What about Raquette Lake, or Blue Mountain lake...Lake George definitely the best, and the biggest fih will be found in the narrows to the north basin....not as pressured as south basin...Barebow
I like raquette better then blue,blue is hard to get on and some times ice is ????
raquette has the numbers, geo has the size,but that is just me
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Theres NO lake trout in Raquette Lake....        ::) ::) ::) ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Theres NO lake trout in Raquette Lake....        ::) ::) ::) ::)
x2 ;D ;D ;D I've never fished otsego lake, but lake George has yet to let me down. Size has never been a problem on the lakers, but the quantity is the issue at times though.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I went to otsego lake earlier this week, I got into some lakers and compared to lakers from lake George they all were skinny, length was from 23" to 29" Anyone else notice this that has fished these bodies of water?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I went to otsego lake earlier this week, I got into some lakers and compared to lakers from lake George they all were skinny, length was from 23" to 29" Anyone else notice this that has fished these bodies of water?

The Otsego debacle was all over these pages last year ...... the story is DEC put waldos in to help control the alewive population and they decimated it and as a result the lakers are struggling and very skinny.

Hopefully it sorts itself out .....   i didn't fish it once last year but did ok this year a couple of times.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Fulton chain or Lake Champlain hands down !!!
Mr.Esox

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2014, 06:09 PM »

I caught a 32" it only weighed 9lbs. I've put nearly a 100 on the ice this winter there probably 20 were rite weight to length!

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:46 AM »
Lake George for quality, otsego is next best. Pleasant and blue have some decent ones but slow and far and few between.  Piseco is dinks all day...good for kids or someone going for first time.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:20 PM »
My very first, and one and only came out of Lake George this season. 31+", 8+lbs.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2014, 08:56 PM »
ِAll I got in Otsego this year were pencil lakers. Good for numbers, but Lake George definitely for quality. Went there for the first time this year for a weekend and I'm sold. Biggest one looked like a football.
Pete

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2014, 01:22 PM »
For giant lakers their is no doubt in my mind it's Lake Ontario!!! Outstanding numbers of fish and great quality. Lake Champlain is also putting out some great fish these days but why bother with them with the great landlock fishing up there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.